Unreal Engine 4.2 Update Preview

This 4.2 preview version is unstable! Congratulations Epic

[=kassane;56025]
This 4.2 preview version is unstable! Congratulations Epic
[/]

Glass half-full: “Thanks Epic for the 4.2 Preview, even if it is not stable!”

Glass half-empty: “Epic, make sure your preview builds are stable or don’t make them available at all until release”

Which is it? 'cause my sarcasm detector is busted.

Here is our current bug curve for the 4.2 release. Worth noting that hitting RC0 != release date as even a perfect builds needs QA validation and packaging which adds latency (time).

4.2-bug-curve.png

The goal is to provide more insight into our release process over time – I’m very excited about that aspect :slight_smile:

Ive built the 4.2 preview build 4 or 5 times to try to get something working (also tried the master builds 2-3 times that should be even more upto date). 4.2 preview for me compiles but when run gives a script system .dll error so no script objects work at all, also can’t migrate a single project from older builds. Please clarify what dependencies are needed for the daily cutting edge builds from unreal bot, ive tried the deps from preview 4.2 and the engine won’t compile, ive tried the 4.1.1 deps and the engine won’t compile. PLEASE take the time for every single build option on github to CLEARLY explain what deps are needed for that EXACT build. For example the 4.2 build that’s listed (doesnt say preview, doesnt say experimental. Doesnt have direct on page links to correct deps. to be downloaded so how do we know what dep library out of the 6-7 version of previous builds are the one’s to use), Seriously if your going to github unreal build bot builds you NEED to have direct links on the same page for the EXACT Dep.zips needed for that explicit build. AGGGGHHHHHHH.

Ok, apparently it can bite :B
I can run the Editor I compiled, everything is fine there; but if I try to launch/package the external game application the engine complains about ‘UE4Editor-ScriptPlugin.dll’ missing (but the dll is there in folder).
This also happens in 4.1 unless I’m running the pre-compiled editor. Anybody knows how to fix this?!

[= ;56424]
I can run the Editor I compiled, everything is fine there; but if I try to launch/package the external game application the engine complains about ‘UE4Editor-ScriptPlugin.dll’ missing (but the dll is there in folder).
This also happens in 4.1 unless I’m running the pre-compiled editor. Anybody knows how to fix this?!
[/]

I fixed this on mine by moving UE4Editor-ScriptPlugin.dll from:

..\Engine\Plugins\Script\ScriptPlugin\Binaries\Win64

to

..\Engine\Binaries\Win64

@ Vogel: To echo what wrote, I would love to learn what dependencies allow the master branch to build as well.

Cheers,
-D

@Daydreamer Thank you! Forum should have +1 button. I can launch standalones now. First I tried to copy the files, but it worked only after I moved them. Ty!

I’ve heard reports of that ScriptPlugin problem a few times at Epic - @.manuszewski was looking into it, perhaps he can help.

[= ;56424]
[/]

Hey, I’m not sure how you’re trying to launch the packaged project (let’s call it MyProject). Once your project is packaged, you should use the MyProject.exe from the directory you told the editor to put the packaged files in (under WindowsNoEditor\MyProject\Binaries\Win64).

So basically when you run the monolithic exe there’s no way it would ask you for any UE4Editor-*.dll files.

[=Daydreamer;56452]
I fixed this on mine by moving UE4Editor-ScriptPlugin.dll from:
[/]

I strongly discourage fixing things this way :slight_smile: Issues like that often mean there’s a problem that needs to be fixed, copying is just a temp hack that’s probably going to bite back in the future.

[=.manuszewski;56698]
I strongly discourage fixing things this way :slight_smile: Issues like that often mean there’s a problem that needs to be fixed, copying is just a temp hack that’s probably going to bite back in the future.
[/]

So how would you recommend Daydreamer fix the issue? :slight_smile: Hehe.

[=;56318]
Ive built the 4.2 preview build 4 or 5 times to try to get something working (also tried the master builds 2-3 times that should be even more upto date). 4.2 preview for me compiles but when run gives a script system .dll error so no script objects work at all, also can’t migrate a single project from older builds. Please clarify what dependencies are needed for the daily cutting edge builds from unreal bot, ive tried the deps from preview 4.2 and the engine won’t compile, ive tried the 4.1.1 deps and the engine won’t compile. PLEASE take the time for every single build option on github to CLEARLY explain what deps are needed for that EXACT build. For example the 4.2 build that’s listed (doesnt say preview, doesnt say experimental. Doesnt have direct on page links to correct deps. to be downloaded so how do we know what dep library out of the 6-7 version of previous builds are the one’s to use), Seriously if your going to github unreal build bot builds you NEED to have direct links on the same page for the EXACT Dep.zips needed for that explicit build. AGGGGHHHHHHH.
[/]

We’re still trying to figure out a way of getting those dependency files live-updated in the master branch. Unfortunately all those files push our GitHub repository over the 1gb size limit, which is why we have to do them that way. It sucks, and it’s pretty messy at the moment. We’re giving it a lot of thought, I promise.

The safe thing to do to get a working build is to checkout the specific tag for a release that has the files attached, rather than just checking out latest. We try to upload zips for the master branch at least once or twice a week, once a build has been promoted by QA (ie. deemed usable and pushed out to our artists and designers), but we haven’t had a promotion in the last week.

[=.manuszewski;56687]
Hey, I’m not sure how you’re trying to launch the packaged project (let’s call it MyProject). Once your project is packaged, you should use the MyProject.exe from the directory you told the editor to put the packaged files in (under WindowsNoEditor\MyProject\Binaries\Win64).

So basically when you run the monolithic exe there’s no way it would ask you for any UE4Editor-*.dll files.
[/]

Not after. Before. The editor would not let me build the game because of that error.

Would it be possible to create a realistic driving simulation game like Gran Turismo with UE4.2?

[]
So how would you recommend Daydreamer fix the issue? :slight_smile: Hehe.
[/]

You guys crack me up sometimes. :smiley: No worries, a new build is likely just around the corner anyway. Speaking of which…

[= Marsh;56749]
We’re still trying to figure out a way of getting those dependency files live-updated in the master branch. Unfortunately all those files push our GitHub repository over the 1gb size limit, which is why we have to do them that way. It sucks, and it’s pretty messy at the moment. We’re giving it a lot of thought, I promise.

The safe thing to do to get a working build is to checkout the specific tag for a release that has the files attached, rather than just checking out latest. We try to upload zips for the master branch at least once or twice a week, once a build has been promoted by QA (ie. deemed usable and pushed out to our artists and designers), but we haven’t had a promotion in the last week.
[/]

Hi ,

Thanks for the clarification! Sure enough, the most recent tag at present is from May 14th, associated with the 4.2.0 Preview Build. I would love to see more frequent updates to the master branch preview if possible, if for no other reason than to check out some of the cool progress made on some of my favorite roadmap features. I’ll keep an eye on the Releases page.

Cheers,
-D

Attempting to build master branch gives me an error with it attempting to find ‘GPUPerfAPI/Gpa.h’ header, wasn’t in any of the dependencies.

–> Decided to be a little adventurous and find out what this API is, seems related to AMD, I downloaded it but no gpa.h in the include files. :frowning:

Master builds won’t always compile.

How do I run Unreal Engine 4.2 after compiling the source code? The UE4 Launcher doesn’t display “Unreal Engine 4.2” in the dropdown list.

[=jeffmorris;58634]
How do I run Unreal Engine 4.2 after compiling the source code? The UE4 Launcher doesn’t display “Unreal Engine 4.2” in the dropdown list.
[/]

As far as I know the Launcher does not recognize the source code versions of UE4 (Never used the Launcher, so don’t take my word for it). However, you can run the editor by going to “UE4Root\Engine\Binaries\Win64” and execute UE4Editor.exe.

Cheers

I tried going to “UE4Root\Engine\Binaries\Win64” and executing “UE4Editor.exe” but this executes the Launcher after executing “UE4Editor.exe”. I can’t find out which version of “UE4Editor.exe” after “Unreal Engine Browser” window comes up and the vehicle templates are not on “New Project” list.