Unreal Engine 4.18 Preview

[=“Skrekkur, post:43, topic:100191”]

Having some problem with ARCore/Tango.
Make a new fresh project, enable ARCore plugin, packaging for android fails:
on > Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ‘:app:_debugApkCopy’.
1> > Could not find com.google.tango:lighting_estimation:0.0.0.
1> Required by:
1> :app:unspecified
1> > Could not find com.google.tango:tango_java_lib:0.0.0.
1> Required by:
1> :app:unspecified

Seems to me that maybe the dependencies declared in the GoogleARCoreBase_APL.xml might not have been included… unless I am missing something.

p.s. this happens with gradle, tried switching over to ant, but that failed even more spectacularly
[/]

I can confirm having the same issue. I’ve made an answerhub post here

Between Preview 1 and 2 the Augmented Reality section of functions disappeared. Enabling the ARCore plugin brings back ARCore features but I cannot the unified AR Line Trace anymore or do anything with ARKit. Anybody have a guide on how to use ARKit now?

[=“, post:81, topic:100191”]

Restarting the Launcher refreshes it
[/]

Ack! I knew that… <grins>

teak

[=“StephaBon, post:84, topic:100191”]

Between Preview 1 and 2 the Augmented Reality section of functions disappeared. Enabling the ARCore plugin brings back ARCore features but I cannot the unified AR Line Trace anymore or do anything with ARKit. Anybody have a guide on how to use ARKit now?
[/]

I’m having the same problem here :frowning: … Does anyone know how to do without AR Line trace ???

Thanks

Is the volumetric lightmap visualization working correctly? In an open world setting I see sparse samples at ground level around foliage and everything, and dense samples in the sky, extending beyond my lightmass importance volume.

This is great, and I appreciate the updates :smiley:

But I’d like to point out a source of rather easy improvements:

1. Slope bias would fix weird shadows (I guess, I’m not an expert): https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre…tifacts/page4=

2. There’s a lot of bug-fixing that’s been done in this blog and maybe it’s worth looking into officially implementing them? Blog : Coconut Lizard

I don’t mean to undermine this update! D: Most of the stuff being improved directly helps my project and I look forward to it. But I think the slope bias fix would be stupendously useful! And I point out the blog because (according to said blog) most of the fixes haven’t been implemented yet and are well documented in their implementation as far as my noob eyes can tell.

I’ll nonetheless test out the preview when I get the and see if anything breaks.

Edit: To be clear the shadows are an actual source of frustration for me and many others. I spent about 2 weeks of time testing out alternative lighting possibilities just to avoid the problem but I don’t want to put in the work that would be required to make my game in a flat-shaded style ala Guilty Gear Xrd and, as I’m not a very good 2D artist, I decided it would look worse in the end than the standard. The shadows are still bothersome, but with a lot of tweaking across a number of different areas (seriously. Adjusting lighting means adjusting a lot of values that are stored in separate locations and iterating) I’ve gotten to a point where I’m content.

This is what it looks like on models: Dynamic shadows artifacts - Feedback & Requests - Epic Developer Community Forums

It’s really disheartening because it feels out of my control and is a clear visual blemish that I’d like to remove.

Trying to start 4.18 I get a message: “Error: This application requires a CPU that supports the specific instruction set(s)”!? :frowning:

[=“, post:89, topic:100191”]

Trying to start 4.18 I get a message: “Error: This application requires a CPU that supports the specific instruction set(s)”!? :frowning:
[/]

What CPU do you have?

[=“HeadClot, post:90, topic:100191”]

What CPU do you have?
[/]

I have a AMD Phenom 2! Check link for CPU info:

[=“, post:91, topic:100191”]

I have a AMD Phenom 2
[/]

Well, a Phenom II isn’t really the best CPU for using the Unreal Engine Editor due too it’s (compared to modern CPU’s) poor performance, especially in applications.
Considering the age of the architecture it’s no surprise that they might have dropped the support for these by using newer and more efficient instruction sets.

[=“, post:91, topic:100191”]

I have a AMD Phenom 2! Check link for CPU info:

[/]

If you get that error with that CPU, it probably means that they have enabled AVX by default now.

If you compile from source you can just disable it I think, so its not a huge issue, you can still use the editor with your CPU, you just have to compile from source and disable AVX. All CPUs newer than yours support AVX, so it doesn’t really make sense any more to keep it disabled by default just for keeping UE4 compatible with such old CPUs.

It is still a pretty nice CPU though, I had a Phenom 2 for a long time, it aged really well :slight_smile:

Any news on VSCode? My low-end pc is really looking forward to it.

[=“eko91, post:94, topic:100191”]

[/]

Yeah +1, this may seem relatively minor but it will vastly improve the coding workflow for us.

[=“John_Alcatraz, post:93, topic:100191”]

If you get that error with that CPU, it probably means that they have enabled AVX by default now.

If you compile from source you can just disable it I think, so its not a huge issue, you can still use the editor with your CPU, you just have to compile from source and disable AVX. All CPUs newer than yours support AVX, so it doesn’t really make sense any more to keep it disabled by default just for keeping UE4 compatible with such old CPUs.
)
[/]

Thanks for the info.
…In that case it be more effective that UE4 do a hardware scan on the system that its installed and activate or deactivate automatically AVX and other software possible options optimized for specific hardware! (Y) :slight_smile:
…To the UE4 programmers a BIG “Thanks in advance”! :slight_smile:

[=“eko91, post:94, topic:100191”]

[/]

VSCode should be functional in Preview 3 (next week).

[=“John_Alcatraz, post:93, topic:100191”]

[/]

The cause could be different. I checked CPU on some old server machine, it’s Xeon E5620. Internet says it doesn’t support AVX, but 4.18 launched without issues.

It would be nice to get official information about it :wink:

[=“, post:98, topic:100191”]

The cause could be different. I checked CPU on some old server machine, it’s Xeon E5620. Internet says it doesn’t support AVX, but 4.18 launched without issues.

It would be nice to get official information about it :wink:
[/]

Interesting, then it’s not related to AVX but to something else.

This issue was also in Paragon’s last big update, but they fixed it. So it should appear in this brunch too.

[=“Stephen_Ellis, post:78, topic:100191”]

Fixed! UE-45970 Remove Box2D support

[/]

Does this mean Paper2D has gone from being ignored to being…dismantled? Or is physics in Paper2D being handled in some other way?

[=“, post:101, topic:100191”]

Does this mean Paper2D has gone from being ignored to being…dismantled? Or is physics in Paper2D being handled in some other way?
[/]

By default Paper2D uses the normal physics engine. Box2D was always considered experimental.