Unreal Engine 4.17 Released!

I never had VS 2015 installed on this system, and I do see the relinking issue with VS 2017 15.3. So its not related.

An update that we are still preparing the 4.17.2 hotfix and it is now unlikely to be released this week. However, it should be ready relatively soon.

Cheers

Whoa… 4.17.2 is a biggie, taking awhile to get out, must be a lot to fix :wink: But I am glad the priority is bug fixing. I’m actually surprised 4.18 preview hasn’t shown up yet. Especially since you were all doing quarterly releases.

Yeah, I was expecting 4.18 preview today, gotta get those ARKit prototypes tested !

I have very strange issue to save new empty map (the default empty map with small box floor) in my Project while using 4.17.1. The memory usage goes 99% 24Gt and also ssd usage to 100% 312mt/s, but nothing happens until forcing editor down. Anyone else with same issue? Else my maps save normally. Just trying to make empty map with only player to test game packaging which is failing to some unknown cooking failure. Getting forward to find the issue, but very strange that new map save issue.

And on the topic of 4.18 preview… Ta-da! https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1357546-unreal-engine-4-18-preview

After using redirector in 4.17.1 my whole Project stopped loading. All worked normally in editor, after shutting editor it wont start without crashing. That redirecting had added so many files to backup folder that the actual posible breaking file wasnt back-upped anymore. Got editor load after removing map, but no blueprint can be edited without same crash. Now loading full Project back up from 2 days ago for 4.16.3.

Is it possible to load copy of 4.16.3 Project in upcoming official 4.18 build? I would skip that 4.17 totally.

I will hazard a guess that it will be possible since I tend to skip a version or two (I skipped from 4.14 to 4.17 for example).

Good to know. Even seems like its not 4.17 that is buggying for me. After returning to 4.16.3, I tried to pack a demo again. And edited some blueprints to fix missing references to removed plugin and resaved some assets to fix empty engine version warning. I restarted fully working Project with 0 warnings and errors, and now cant load anything again. Need to remove map to load the editor. And in editor cant even right click any blueprints without crash. Now trying to use redirector for content folder if it would help. Else need to load back up again. But not looking very good, if that issues re-appear everything I try to make Project packing to work without cook failure.

Found someone else with exact same bug https://answers.unrealengine.com/que…on-failed.html, not sure how to make sure no pointers are null.

I found out the faulty blueprints and got everything clear/running again. Sorry for hassle/offtopic, was overworried. :wink:

Edit: Actually not, again the same strange issues after restart, but looking into it.

After installing 4.17, visual studio required to reinstall version that already existed. Could that be related to blueprint crashing issue? Suddently I cant open any blueprint or even make a new blueprint and open that without crash (issue in both 4.16.3 and 4.17). Suddently it might work. I could open references for some asset and then some blueprint. Suddently all blueprints worked again, and could load even a map normally. All worked then normally until restarting editor and the same mess again. Just changing again to use old backup. Probably will reinstall visual studio just in case if its somehow corrupted. Anyone else here with same problem? Something unknown tries to break my Project. Have verified engine versions and deleted saved/inter folders from project many times.

Edit: It wanted me to install VS2015 so seem like its not even meant to work with 4.16? Going to install that VS2017 again and follow these settings.

UPDATE!

The 4.17.2 Hotfix is now live! This hotfix includes over 100 important fixes in the 4.17 release, including many improvements to stability.

Fixed in 4.17.2

Fixed! UE-49456 [CrashReport] Commandlet crash - UE4Editor_Engine!FAnimationUtils::CompressAnimSequenceExplicit() [animationutils.cpp:621]
Fixed! UE-49275 checkSlow hit when running a post process instance without a main instance
Fixed! UE-48962 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Engine!FAnimNotifyEvent::IsBranchingPoint() [animtypes.cpp:86]
Fixed! UE-48725 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Engine!UAnimSequenceBase::GetAnimationPose() [animsequencebase.h:148]
Fixed! UE-48405 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Persona!<lambda_e529d88d0657fbede17be1535bc6d479>: Operator() [blendspacedetails.cpp:29]
Fixed! UE-49673 Project does not cook with actors containing ModularSynth component
Fixed! UE-49538 Incorrect parameter lerping in audio mixer
Fixed! UE-48602 iOS AudioMixer crashes when hardware buffer size changes and when application suspends.
Fixed! UE-47763 Crash in Audio Mixer when baking propagation on a Phonon source without an audio component - AActor::GetComponentByClass()
Fixed! UE-49982 Linux server - Severe lag and high ping during regular gameplay
Fixed! UE-48973 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_DetailCustomizations!FBodyInstanceCustomization::MarkAllBodiesDefaultCollision() [bodyinstancecustomization.cpp:829]
Fixed! UE-47474 [CrashReport] PhysX3PROFILE_x64!physx::Sc::BodySim::activateInteractions() [scbodysim.cpp:496]
Fixed! UE-49179 No error message displayed if a plugin required by a project is missing
Fixed! UE-48555 Crash issues with async loading thread enabled
Fixed! UE-48402 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Core!FName::GetDisplayNameEntry() [unrealnames.cpp:894]
Fixed! UE-48376 Regression: cooked content can no longer be opened in the editor even if AllowCookedDataInEditorBuilds is True.
Fixed! UE-48297 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Core!FStatsThreadState::ScanForAdvance() [statsdata.cpp:732]
Fixed! UE-48274 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Core!FModuleManager::LoadModuleChecked() [modulemanager.cpp:350]
Fixed! UE-48137 GitHub 3870 : Fix Windows build of 4.17.0
Fixed! UE-47668 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!FCompressedChunk::FCompressedChunk()
Fixed! UE-46195 Assertion Failure in QA Game TM-VRSmoke on Oculus
Fixed! UE-48192 GitHub 3879 : fix bug when creating a new VS2017 C++ project
Fixed! UE-48509 Crashes using incremental cook with older cooked data
Fixed! UE-48964 VS2017 /permissive- option should not be enabled by default
Fixed! UE-48232 UBT throws an exception if a plugin lists a module twice
Fixed! UE-49271 Foliage: Having only 1 instance will result in sending garbage to the GPU in a second VB buffer
Fixed! UE-49019 Foliage disappears after 1.5k if occlusion culling project setting is disabled
Fixed! UE-48955 Navigation do not match generated StaticMesh instances
Fixed! UE-48728 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::IncrementalRegisterComponents() [actor.cpp:4065]
Fixed! UE-48327 AInstancedFoliageActor crashes when postload when having DiscardDataOnLoad set to 1 when having a not used foliage in a map
Fixed! UE-45854 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Engine!UHierarchicalInstancedStaticMeshComponent::BuildTreeIfOutdated
Fixed! UE-49189 Function boolean return nodes often set to true will default to false once saved project is closed/reopened
Fixed! UE-48815 Changing Asset Manager Bundle state of two assets at once does not correctly free old bundle
Fixed! UE-48413 Crash running dedicated server with fixed framerate
Fixed! UE-48228 Instanced Static Mesh components that are part of a Blueprint aren’t visible in Standalone Game
Fixed! UE-47948 Error when Compiling an AIController Blueprint Class with an AIPerception Component
Fixed! UE-49756 [CrashReport] UEdGraphSchema_K2::PinHasSplittableStructType
Fixed! UE-49749 FSplinePoint members not exposed to blueprints
Fixed! UE-49596 Editor crash on blueprint compile that contains edited BP Struct
Fixed! UE-49513 [CrashReport] Assertion failed: !PinRef->bWasTrashed - UEdGraphPin::SerializePin()
Fixed! UE-49447 [CrashReport] UEdGraphPin::Modify - UEdGraphSchema_K2::RecombinePin
Fixed! UE-49398 GitHub 3986 : Validate child BPs before renaming component
Fixed! UE-49196 Return values are not saved in blueprint functions
Fixed! UE-49009 Blueprint needs to be compiled if another blueprint sharing an interface is compiled
Fixed! UE-49005 [CrashReport] Assertion failed: !PinRef->bWasTrashed | UEdGraphPin::SerializePin()
Fixed! UE-48999 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Engine!FBlueprintDebugData::FindBreakpointInjectionSites() [blueprintgeneratedclass.h:382]
Fixed! UE-48977 PostProcessSettings no longer has the Post Process Materials option
Fixed! UE-48976 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FBlueprintEditorUtils::FindBlueprintForGraphChecked() [blueprinteditorutils.cpp:2206]
Fixed! UE-48974 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Engine!UEdGraphPin::Modify() [edgraphpin.cpp:619]
Fixed! UE-48970 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_BlueprintGraph!UK2Node_VariableGet::IsValidTypeForNonPure() [k2node_variableget.cpp:323]
Fixed! UE-48697 Event tick not firing when in an actor component that is added to an actor
Fixed! UE-48672 Level cannot save when compile setting is changed on blueprint present in level
Fixed! UE-48466 Actor reference in a struct is replaced by an object reference when saving a struct
Fixed! UE-48386 Custom event parameter set to 0 by default
Fixed! UE-47678 Crash in Blueprint when clicking on Component variable name that remains after Component was deleted
Fixed! UE-49735 Error compiling blueprint using interface after changing function parameters
Fixed! UE-49440 Crash when nativizing blueprint containing MakeMap or MakeSet node
Fixed! UE-48524 Ensure compiling a blueprint with itself as a Child Actor Component
Fixed! UE-48465 Reinstancer’s CPFUO call clears bCanEverTick flag for Blueprint component template
Fixed! UE-48464 WorldContextObject is null in BP function library
Fixed! UE-48250 Actor Component instances have their settings reset to default when compiled in 4.17 (Compilation Manager)
Fixed! UE-47991 Strange crash occurring from project When upgrading from 4.16 to 4.17
Fixed! UE-49634 Crash undoing member removal from user defined struct
Fixed! UE-48430 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Kismet!FBlueprintEditorToolbar::GetStatusImage() [sblueprinteditortoolbar.cpp:669]
Fixed! UE-47467 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Kismet!FBlueprintGlobalOptionsDetails::CanDeprecateBlueprint() [blueprintdetailscustomization.cpp:5127]
Fixed! UE-48995 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Engine!USceneComponent::UpdateComponentToWorldWithParent() [scenecomponent.cpp:492]
Fixed! UE-48897 Crash when moving actor on viewport with HierarchicalInstancedStaticMeshComponent.
Fixed! UE-47523 Undoing pasting a component will crash ([CrashReport] UE4Editor_CoreUObject!FWeakObjectPtr::IsValid() [weakobjectptr.cpp:48])
Fixed! UE-48914 UHierarchicalInstancedStaticMeshComponent::GetOverlappingSphereCount crash when using grass
Fixed! UE-48724 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Landscape!ULandscapeInfo::UpdateLayerInfoMap() [landscape.cpp:1459]
Fixed! UE-48484 Grass updates cause checkout
Fixed! UE-48035 Crash when foliage painting in QAGame with TallGrass_01 asset
Fixed! UE-47492 [CrashReport] Access violation - FLandscapeEditDataInterface::SetAlphaData()
Fixed! UE-47253 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Landscape!ALandscapeProxy::CreateLandscapeInfo() [landscape.cpp:752]
Fixed! UE-50163 AppleARKit does not include correct device capabilities in plist
Fixed! UE-50162 Marketing Icon is missing when uploaded to app store
Fixed! UE-49737 Xcode 9 GM build failures in 4.17
Fixed! UE-49721 GEARVR - .bat installs failing due to permissions when releasing for distribution
Fixed! UE-49694 Saved Data lost going from 4.16 to 4.17
Fixed! UE-49629 Problems with Android virtual keyboard input for UMG textedit set as password
Fixed! UE-49622 Zen Garden HTML5 build does not render on Chrome on OS X
Fixed! UE-49308 Volume change enters immersive mode on Android even if not enabled
Fixed! UE-49305 Packaging not stopping for Android when error is found
Fixed! UE-48714 Android applications using AudioMixer continue to play audio when the application enters the background
Fixed! UE-48678 package.xml in Engine/Source/ThirdParty/Android needs to be binary in github
Fixed! UE-48323 Protostar leads to device reboot in Galaxy S7 Adreno device. (SM-G930V)
Fixed! UE-47750 Android movie player doesn’t work with ES 3.1
Fixed! UE-46409 [CrashReport] Assertion on: Could not create a libwebsocket - FNetworkFileServerHttp::Init()
Fixed! UE-50164 AppleARKit plugin does not build against Xcode 9 release
Fixed! UE-45947 Character Mesh Position Offset in Online Sessions
Fixed! UE-48340 PerInstanceRandom does not work on Instanced Static Meshes spawned at runtime
Fixed! UE-48670 Crash when pasting transform in Sequencer
Fixed! UE-48490 Crash upgrading a UMG project
Fixed! UE-48487 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_SlateCore!TWeakPtr<SWidget,0>::Pin() [sharedpointer.h:1120]
Fixed! UE-48443 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_UnrealEd!TSet<FEditorUndoClient * __ptr64,DefaultKeyFuncs<FEditorUndoClient * __ptr64,0>,FDefaultSetAllocator>::Remove() [set.h:685]
Fixed! UE-48383 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_UMG!CastChecked<UUserWidget,UObject>
Fixed! UE-48367 When dragging a skeletal animation section in time, the pose reverts temporarily
Fixed! UE-47341 Blending between two animation sometimes doesnt play the second animation
Fixed! UE-49765 Linux ARM server fails to run due to memory allocation error
Fixed! UE-47721 Server links to additional CEF libraries when WebBrowserWidget plugin is enabled
Fixed! UE-47558 [CrashReport] Linux crash - llvm::TargetLowering::LowerCallTo()
Fixed! UE-46181 [CrashReport] Crash on Linux - llvm::MachineFunctionPass::runOnFunction()
Fixed! UE-46177 [CrashReport] Assertion failed on Linux: SharedContext.hGLContext in OpenGLLinux.cpp
Fixed! UE-49414 Crash when editing static arrays in BP defaults
Fixed! UE-49348 “+Create Binding” added to a “Text Block” makes the Text not visible in Standalone Game
Fixed! UE-49635 Linux: Failure to build LinuxServer on Windows: Member access into incomplete type ‘vr::RenderModel_t’
Fixed! UE-49791 Moving the IPD slider on a Rift causes the screen to go black
Fixed! UE-49017 SteamVR: Hidden and Visible Area Mesh optimizations don’t work in 4.17 because of CRC checksum failures
Fixed! UE-48528 Motion controllers snap to the origin when position tracking is lost
Fixed! UE-48283 If a controller is not positional tracked anymore (outside of tracker boundaries), its position will be returned to 0/0/0

REMEMBER: Please report any new bugs you find by following the How To Report a Bug Guide

> Fixed! UE-49189 Function boolean return nodes often set to true will default to false once saved project is closed/reopened

> Fixed! UE-48672 Level cannot save when compile setting is changed on blueprint present in level

Great! These two were very annoying for me!

Hi Stephen, seeing so much bugfixes in this release, I suspect that some will find new issues in this new version: what is the current plan about a 4.17.3? I mean, is there already a plan for one?

There are no current plans for a 4.17.3. A third hotfix would only be considered if something critical was accidentally broken in 4.17.2. We are watching for any such reports.

Cheers

Thanks for the update. Cant wait to try packaging with it. :slight_smile: Got my earlier mentioned project issues fixed after managing to pin point bad blueprint. So far running normally again.

Hi Stephen, we saw a regression on AMD Linux users with 4.17 - it looks like this : https://answers.unrealengine.com/que…nt-706504-form

Apparently, this is caused by UE4 bundling its own libelf, as opposed to using the system one. 4.16 worked fine on these systems.

Is part of of the fixes from 4.17.2 ?

This needs to be fixed in a hotfix: Unchanged modules relinked every single build using VS 15.3 - Platform & Builds - Epic Developer Community Forums

The 4.17.2 Hotfix states that it can now build against XCode 9, yet I still am getting the errors that I need Xcode 8.3.x and it defaults to Software shader compiling which is unusable and insanely slow. How do I enable Xcode 9 in this new hotfix? I don’t see Metal 2 as an option