Unreal Engine 4.14 Preview

[=BhaaL;612768]
Did you try clicking the version? You can select the one you want to install from there.
[/]

I had to restart the computer for some reason to see 4.14 install option but it works now :slight_smile:

[]
What about toggling motion blur for specific objects ? I understand it was impossible in a deferred pipeline, but hopefully now forward changes things a bit.

Is this something youā€™re considering ? Motion blur / TAA typically fail at objects that move in world space without moving in camera space.
[/]

Motion blur is still done as an image-space operation so toggling for certain objects isnā€™t really feasible. Iā€™m not sure the exact case youā€™re seeing, but motion blur should be able to work correctly on any object, as long as the velocities are rendered correctly. If an object is moving in world space but not camera space (weapon?) and it gets motion blurred, thatā€™s just a bug which we need to fix.

4.14 preview 1

When pressing the simulate button, it turns off realtime preview. Tested with the first person template.

Please take more time to release the final version of 4.14 , we are getting many version in short time and i really hope 4.14 will be the most stable version so we stick with it for a long period of time as every single version have many new future but not as stable as 4.8 IMO . and great job with all that new feature , its really impressive to see how much epic team work hard on this engine like no one else so thank you guys .

[=DenizPiri;612723]
One great new feature in 4.14 is missing from the changelog ! In 4.14 all baked data, lightmaps etc, is saved into a different file, not the level file. This makes it much easier to work with source control.
[/]

^ This. Just noticed this today. So much nicer for perforce in the cloudā€¦

Will this make into 4.14 ? Itā€™s pretty serious issue for people on Windows 10.

[=DanielW;612804]
Motion blur is still done as an image-space operation so toggling for certain objects isnā€™t really feasible. Iā€™m not sure the exact case youā€™re seeing, but motion blur should be able to work correctly on any object, as long as the velocities are rendered correctly. If an object is moving in world space but not camera space (weapon?) and it gets motion blurred, thatā€™s just a bug which we need to fix.
[/]

I think what heā€™s referring to are the problems that arise with the view model in first person or character model in third person having major artifacting problems when motion blur is enabled. Itā€™s been an issue for a long time in the engine and hasnā€™t really gotten touched on yet in a patch, thatā€™s the main reason why people are always complaining about ghosting issues and things like that.

Another new feature missing from the changelog is the new ā€œIs Editor Onlyā€ flag for components of an actor. This was a contribution on github. This allows you to add some actors, or components that wonā€™t be cooked in builds. Very very useful for adding locators etc, dummy components, where you bake the data. We use this a lot in our project so that flag will come in very handy for reducing clutter in cooked builds.

[= Ellis;608984]

• Improved Cable Component by adding simple collision, stiffness setting, sockets at each end, and the ability to set either end as ā€œfreeā€.

• [/]

I think there is a bug with the improved Cable Component. Sockets and ā€œset either end as freeā€ work fine, but there is no collision, although collision is set up correctly.

// EDIT:
    Ah, my mistake, there is an additional Checkbox ā€œEnable Collisionā€ hidden under advanced options of the cable component. Maybe you should put this option out of advanced and under the collision header for more visibility.

Hello,

Would you mind telling us the SDK Update version numbers for XB1 and PS4?

Thank you.

From what I was reading in the vehicle megathread, the Nvidia guys pointed to physx 3.4 having new suspension raycasting function or a new vehicle snippet thing to fix some nasty vehicles artifacts. I tested 4.14 and got this

Was the new snippet not used?

hmmā€¦ how do i turn on the Vulkan support? i do not understand under device profile? i only saw T8xx or T8xx No Vulkan. How to i package to Vulkan? Should i just type in ā€œ0ā€ in the r.Android.DisableVulkan ? since default is set to 1 i assume itā€™s turn off at beginning. And i just package to Open GL ES3.1? Since now the Vulkan there still greyed out. Please advise.

Same problem here, viewport only updates when clicking with left mouse button.

Iā€™ve lost the ability to use my umg menus in 4.14. It seems like mouse capture is not working properly. These are menus made by working through the steam multiplayer tutorial if anyone wants to replicate.

[]
    Multitouch Support in Windows has been added. Touch events will now be generated in Windows 7, 8, and 10 when using a touch screen. This will enable touch enabled games and experiences on new Windows tablets and also enables testing touch controls for mobile games without having to deploy to a target device.
    [/]

Thank you so much! I have been wanting to build a touch based game aimed at Surface Pro 4 for awhile now!

[=DanielW;612804]
    If an object is moving in world space but not camera space (weapon?) and it gets motion blurred, thatā€™s just a bug which we need to fix.
    [/]

Motion blur works for a first-person mesh, but if you are drawing UI on it (think cockpit / 3D HUD) then moving UI elements get blurred, which makes them unreadable. Motion blur has always been completely off in my project because of the inability to ignore specific objects. This would be very much welcome, Iā€™d really like to have motion blur in my game but there no going around that issue. Even a depth filter (donā€™t blur if close to screen) would be very nice.

Mobile games ship with Vulkan support and can now be enabled or disabled using device profiles, with fallback to ES 3.1 and ES2

How can I enale that?is there a step by step tutorial?Thanks! @DanielW

Are there any cvarā€™s we can thinker with to increase the quality of the new contact shadows? (not talking about the ray length since thatā€™s already exposed)

Iā€™m Curious as to what happened with the feet IK animation and blending features that were previewed in live stream for Paragon? will they make it in 4.14 or do we still have to wait for those?

[=DenizPiri;612723]
    One great new feature in 4.14 is missing from the changelog ! In 4.14 all baked data, lightmaps etc, is saved into a different file, not the level file. This makes it much easier to work with source control.
    [/]

Wow, really? That is great!