Unreal Engine 4.11 Preview

I tried the new hair shader yesterday and HOLY COW, thanks Epic. The results I’m getting are amazing and it’s so easy to set up! Can’t wait for the stable version so I can migrate my project :slight_smile:

So, are you going for preview 69???

We shouldn’t be impatient about UE4 releases. I’d rather have the release after Preview 15 in April, than a buggy 4.11 release next week.

As far as I’m concerned, Preview 7 broke our game, so I’m completely fine with a lengthy QA phase.

[= ;489148]
Distance Fields are an SM5 feature and require Epic quality settings to work. Any lower setting will automatically disable them. Aside from brute force deleting the cache I’m not sure if there is a way using a console command to rebuild the distance fields, at least not off-hand. Distance fields are cheaper than CSM since they do not have to calculate every triangle within the attenuation radius regardless of how big it is on screen. You can see the the performance comparisons with CSM and DF’s in the Distance Field Soft Shadows documentation here: Distance Field Soft Shadows in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

So my game is fully dynamic meaning I don’t have the option of baking any lighting due to a lot of overlapping lights or changes… So converting all my spotlights from csm shadows to distance field would be cheaper? But what I don’t get is if there a way to force distance shadows on all performance settings or to default a light to csm if distance fields are turned off…

As a follow-up on engine stability :

We’re having two huge, game breaking regressions in Preview 7, that we don’t have in Preview 6. Both of them are physics-related.

Did anything major change for physics between Preview 6 and Preview 7 ? Preview 6 was all fun and games, but this latest one is completely broken.

Is anybody having issues with Hot-Reload in Preview 7? Every 1/4 times I perform a hot reload, I try to hit PIE and all I actually get is an infinite loop of the following as logspam. I actually have to stop the debugger or I’ll be stuck there forever.

[2016.03.15-10.47.56:505][285]LogActor:Error: AActor::IncrementalRegisterComponents parent component '/Game/Maps/UEDPIE_0_UM_EarthMapScaled.UM_EarthMapScaled:PersistentLevel.BP_Orrery_C_0.EarthMesh' cannot be registered in actor '/Game/Maps/UEDPIE_0_UM_EarthMapScaled.UM_EarthMapScaled:PersistentLevel.BP_Orrery_C_0'
[2016.03.15-10.47.56:506][285]LogActorComponent: RegisterComponentWithWorld: Owner belongs to a DEADCLASS
[2016.03.15-10.47.56:506][285]LogActorComponent: RegisterComponentWithWorld: Owner belongs to a DEADCLASS
[2016.03.15-10.47.56:506][285]LogActor:Error: AActor::IncrementalRegisterComponents parent component '/Game/Maps/UEDPIE_0_UM_EarthMapScaled.UM_EarthMapScaled:PersistentLevel.BP_Orrery_C_0.EarthMesh' cannot be registered in actor '/Game/Maps/UEDPIE_0_UM_EarthMapScaled.UM_EarthMapScaled:PersistentLevel.BP_Orrery_C_0'
[2016.03.15-10.47.56:506][285]LogActor:Error: AActor::IncrementalRegisterComponents parent component '/Game/Maps/UEDPIE_0_UM_EarthMapScaled.UM_EarthMapScaled:PersistentLevel.BP_Orrery_C_0.EarthMesh' cannot be registered in actor '/Game/Maps/UEDPIE_0_UM_EarthMapScaled.UM_EarthMapScaled:PersistentLevel.BP_Orrery_C_0'

Doesn’t seem to just effect this actor either, seems to pick different classes at random. The actor in question in this case exists in the level so it’s already instantiated, and I do manually call RegisterComponent. Possibly not supposed to do something here?

void AGESGame_Orrery::PostInitializeComponents()
{
	Super::PostInitializeComponents();

TorusSplinePoints.SetNum(NumTorusPoints);
	TorusSplinePositions.SetNumZeroed(NumTorusPoints);
	PreviewSplinePositions.SetNumZeroed(NumPreviewPoints);

TorusSpline->SetSplineWorldPoints(TorusSplinePositions);

// Create all points for the Orbit Torus
	UWorld* CompWorld = GetWorld();
	if (OrbitTorusMesh != nullptr)
	{
		for (int32 i = 0; i < NumTorusPoints; i++)
		{
			USplineMeshComponent* NewMeshComp = NewObject<USplineMeshComponent>(this);
			if (NewMeshComp)
			{
				NewMeshComp->RegisterComponent();
				NewMeshComp->SetMobility(EComponentMobility::Movable);
				NewMeshComp->SetAbsolute(true, true, true);
				NewMeshComp->SetStaticMesh(OrbitTorusMesh);
				NewMeshComp->SetCollisionResponseToAllChannels(ECR_Ignore);
				NewMeshComp->SetCollisionEnabled(ECollisionEnabled::NoCollision);

TorusSplinePoints* = NewMeshComp;
			}
		}
	}

// Set the World Orrery Object (early as possible)
	if (GetWorld() && GetWorld()->IsGameWorld())
	{
		UGMM::GetGMM(this)->WorldOrrery = this;
	}
}

I would probably struggle to reproduce this in a blank C++ project so before I spend a few hours trying to make a repro, can someone test hot reload a bit?

In general though, I am experiencing considerably less stability in 4.11 than 4.10. 4.10 was a really solid release for me.

[=;493434]
Is anybody having issues with Hot-Reload in Preview 7? Every 1/4 times I perform a hot reload, I try to hit PIE and all I actually get is an infinite loop of the following as logspam. I actually have to stop the debugger or I’ll be stuck there forever.

[2016.03.15-10.47.56:505][285]LogActor:Error: AActor::IncrementalRegisterComponents parent component '/Game/Maps/UEDPIE_0_UM_EarthMapScaled.UM_EarthMapScaled:PersistentLevel.BP_Orrery_C_0.EarthMesh' cannot be registered in actor '/Game/Maps/UEDPIE_0_UM_EarthMapScaled.UM_EarthMapScaled:PersistentLevel.BP_Orrery_C_0'

Doesn’t seem to just effect this actor either, seems to pick different classes at random. The actor in question in this case exists in the level so it’s already instantiated, and I do manually call RegisterComponent. Possibly not supposed to do something here?

I would probably struggle to reproduce this in a blank C++ project so before I spend a few hours trying to make a repro, can someone test hot reload a bit?

In general though, I am experiencing considerably less stability in 4.11 than 4.10. 4.10 was a really solid release for me.

I have the same problem!

[= Ellis;489853]
UE-6451 has been fixed internally, but the fix is for the future 4.12 release.

Thank you for getting back to me! This is great to hear! :smiley:

I tired opening up my project in Preview 7 and its loading like normal but the editor window never opens even know its logging its running? I wanted to try 4.11 out as I’m getting memory leaks on 4.10.

Hey, care to show a screengrab of your material set up? would help alot for the rest of us :slight_smile:

Still having problems with the LOCTEXT_NAMESPACE macro in 4.11, no official word yet. answers.unrealengine.com/questions/388117/loctext-namespace-issues-in-411.html

Somebody posted there and told me to define LOCTEXT_NAMESPACE multiple times, but I don’t understand how that makes sense? Additionally I found a documentation page that tells me only to define it once, here: Programming with C++ in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

The multiple-define thing fixed it on Windows and Android, but the Mac compiler complains about having defined something multiple times - so clearly that can’t be the right way to sort this out. Again, this never used to be a problem in 4.10. This is what’s causing the error:

#define LOCTEXT_NAMESPACE "OParams_ECC" 
#define LOCTEXT_NAMESPACE "OParams_INC" 
#define LOCTEXT_NAMESPACE "OParams_SMA"
#define LOCTEXT_NAMESPACE "OParams_LAN"
#define LOCTEXT_NAMESPACE "OParams_AOP"
#define LOCTEXT_NAMESPACE "OParams_MAAE"

// insert wicked-awesome game code here

#undef LOCTEXT_NAMESPACE

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out I’m just doing it wrong. Could probably do with more clarity in the documentation here.

[=;490053]
I’m still having this issue, it’s been a couple of months now since I initially tried to upgrade to 4.11 - my project just refuses to open. Have updated to 4.11 P7 now, still the same problem.

I get to 90% loaded everytime, and then I get this.

Project literally works flawlessly in 4.10 and previous versions, it’s only 4.11 where I start to get this problem. I haven’t messed around with any modules or plugins, and the call stack isn’t really helpful.

Answerhub:

EDIT: Updating the answerhub post too, but I seem to have found a workaround… the issue appears to be caused by the ‘Plugins’ section of my .UProject file. I guess ages ago I disabled a whole bunch of plugins I don’t use, but not using one of them is causing a module.

.UProject File Causing

{
	"FileVersion": 3,
	"EngineAssociation": "4.11",
	"Category": "",
	"Description": "",
	"Modules": 
		{
			"Name": "BZGame",
			"Type": "Runtime",
			"LoadingPhase": "Default",
			"AdditionalDependencies": 
				"UMG",
				"Engine",
				"CoreUObject",
				"AIModule"
			]
		}
	],
	"Plugins": 
		{
			"Name": "GearVR",
			"Enabled": false
		},
		{
			"Name": "OculusInput",
		},
		{
			"Name": "OculusLibrary",
		},
		{
			"Name": "OculusRift",
		},
		{
			"Name": "SteamVR",
		},
		{
			"Name": "GitSourceControl",
		},
		{
			"Name": "SubversionSourceControl",
		},
		{
			"Name": "LightPropagationVolume",
		},
		{
			"Name": "CodeLiteSourceCodeAccess",
		},
		{
			"Name": "KDevelopSourceCodeAccess",
		},
		{
			"Name": "NetcodeUnitTest",
			"Enabled": true
		},
		{
			"Name": "HTML5Networking",
		},
		{
			"Name": "MacGraphicsSwitching",
		},
		{
			"Name": "SlateRemote",
		},
		{
			"Name": "AndroidMoviePlayer",
		},
		{
			"Name": "AndroidMedia",
		},
		{
			"Name": "AppleMoviePlayer",
		},
		{
			"Name": "AvfMedia",
		},
		{
			"Name": "LeapMotionController",
		},
		{
			"Name": "ArchVisCharacter",
		},
		{
			"Name": "ScriptGeneratorPlugin",
		},
		{
			"Name": "UObjectPlugin",
		},
		{
			"Name": "LevelSequenceEditor",
		},
		{
			"Name": "AndroidDeviceProfileSelector",
		},
		{
			"Name": "ExampleDeviceProfileSelector",
		},
		{
			"Name": "IOSDeviceProfileSelector",
		},
		{
			"Name": "LinuxDeviceProfileSelector",
		},
		{
			"Name": "WindowsDeviceProfileSelector",
		},
		{
			"Name": "Paper2D",
		}
	],
	"TargetPlatforms": 
		"WindowsNoEditor",
		"Desktop"
	]
}

.UProject File Not Causing

{
	"FileVersion": 3,
	"EngineAssociation": "4.11",
	"Category": "",
	"Description": "",
	"Modules": 
		{
			"Name": "BZGame",
			"Type": "Runtime",
			"LoadingPhase": "Default",
			"AdditionalDependencies": 
				"UMG",
				"Engine",
				"CoreUObject",
				"AIModule"
			]
		}
	],
	"TargetPlatforms": 
		"WindowsNoEditor",
		"Desktop"
	]
}

Disable the plugin “NetcodeUnitTest” I found the solution by my own time ago, after don’t get help. That one is the problem.

On a different note, still have this bug (AHub: [Repro Included] [4.7] Artifacts In Viewport in Fullscreen PIE - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums)

.com/watch?v=DmwQyi1Yjqo

Been around since like 4.7 I think, long time ago.

[=;494859]
On a different note, still have this bug (AHub: [Repro Included] [4.7] Artifacts In Viewport in Fullscreen PIE - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums)

.com/watch?v=DmwQyi1Yjqo

Been around since like 4.7 I think, long time ago.

I reported that one year ago, is unfixedanswers.unrealengine.com/questions/177571/47-f11-fullscreen-editor-border-black-1.html looks like the 2 reports are basically the same.

And if the camera is static then the bug is poor

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28070491/UE//Bug.png

[=brunogruber;493002]
I tried the new hair shader yesterday and HOLY COW, thanks Epic. The results I’m getting are amazing and it’s so easy to set up! Can’t wait for the stable version so I can migrate my project :slight_smile:

Do you know where to get the information on the hair shader in 4.11? I can’t find any information. Only the Paragon video (and there isn’t much information there. I would appreciate your help very much!

No select button from menu :(…

[=;495428]

No select button from menu :(…

You should select first the item in the list ?
Looks like you don’t have the instance selected.

Thanks…I already select that, some of this list are not yet completed, but the others are have a select button. Result: manual search this word :slight_smile:

Next update, a great glass shader ?

Meh, grass already looks ballin’. Just take a look at the Open World demo’s assets… I would rather see… BSP 2.0!