Unreal Engine 4.11 Preview

[=;465862]
Is there any that bug JIRA [UE-20602] will get fixed in Version 4.11? It is impossible to morph a skeletal mesh that is a slave of another skeletal mesh.

Hi,

As of right now this is marked as “To Do” in our system and assigned to a developer. The pull request submitted by xulture is set for 4.11 from what I see. Until this has been resolved on the ticket I cannot guarantee that it will actually make it into 4.11 just yet.

For any follow up or update you can comment on this AnswerHub ticket here: 4.9 and 4.10 Set Morph Target not being sent to children of Inherited Mesh! - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

Is there any documentation how MaterialParameters have changed. I just noticed that some of my Custom nodes are broken.
At least these are not working anymore:

Parameters.SVPosition.xy;
View.SceneTextureMinMax;

[=;465927]
Is there any documentation how MaterialParameters have changed. I just noticed that some of my Custom nodes are broken.
At least these are not working anymore:

Parameters.SVPosition.xy;
View.SceneTextureMinMax;

Try SvPosition and Frame.SceneTextureMinMax

[=Vance;466377]
Try SvPosition and Frame.SceneTextureMinMax

Frame.SceneTextureMinMax did the trick. SvPosition did not.

Converted Refunct from 4.8.3 to 4.11 preview 4 and did some testing using shipped builds:

As you can see on the pictures performance seems slightly lower (bad), exposure slightly brighter (neutral), and SSR cone slightly bigger (good). Also TXAA is different but I am not sure if its better or worse yet.

4.8.3: http://i.imgur.com/HJyOpkz.jpg
4.11p4: http://i.imgur.com/lyfKLeW.jpg

Also there seems to be an issue with having a black screen when ALT+TAB back to game until moving the mouse and for this project when I am underwater (only in shipping build)

[= ;465258]
Hi w_jones,

Lightbuilds should be ~2x faster now using Intel’s Embree method. I’ve not done any specific time comparisons myself, but you can test this yourself by going into the BaseLightmass.ini file in the Engine/Config folder. You can change the line bUseEmbree=true to false to use the older method.

This does not affect Intel or AMD cards specifically. Embree provides faster ray tracing then what we originally had implemented, which helps speeds up the light build process for calculations of your scene.

Wow, amazing. Any info how it handles overlapping UV’s? Currently it increases render by an extreme amount. (I went from 4 hours to 30minutes by just fixing the biggest UVoverlaping object).

I know these overlaps should be fixed anyway, but it can be quite a while untill that happens in a project and it feels like it increases the time by an unnecesarry amount.

Hmm, maybe ill install the new preview this weekend and test it :stuck_out_tongue:

[=;466550]
Converted Refunct from 4.8.3 to 4.11 preview 4 and did some testing using shipped builds:
there seems to be an issue with having a black screen when ALT+TAB back to game until moving the mouse and for this project when I am underwater (only in shipping build)

This isn’t exclusive to 4.11. AFAIK it happens when you’re inside some kind of postprocessing volume. I currently have the same issue on 4.10 when inside Elven Ruins’ filmgrain volume.

[=yesnsk;464455]
Dear Team Epic Game! Thank you very much! You really made me very happy!
In previous versions of the engine UE4 I struggled unsuccessfully to resolve the problem of 1 sec. Particle animation limit.
you have finally decided the issue. Now you have made possible the long particle animation in Cascade Editor !!! Thank you! you make a truly useful improvements!

Holy heck finally!

Is this using the old bUseEmitterTime checkbox?

[=Talrosh;466586]
Wow, amazing. Any info how it handles overlapping UV’s? Currently it increases render by an extreme amount. (I went from 4 hours to 30minutes by just fixing the biggest UVoverlaping object).

I know these overlaps should be fixed anyway, but it can be quite a while untill that happens in a project and it feels like it increases the time by an unnecesarry amount.

Hmm, maybe ill install the new preview this weekend and test it :stuck_out_tongue:

Aside from the speedup in the raytraces there should be no quality changes or anything different from the previous method.

This is not going to fix any overlapping UV errors you may have. The should still be handled by manually fixing the UV in your modeling application or using the Auto Generated Lightmap UVs from within the Build Settings of the Static Mesh Editor.

Overall you really shouldn’t have to worry about Overlapping UVs when using the auto generated method if you’ve already got a good UV layout for your texture that has broken apart UV islands. The auto generated UVs will just repack/scale these UV islands so that they are not overlapping. It will not add any new seams or splits. Typically when I work on a scene with custom assets I will use the auto generated method, and then if needed I will go back and tweak that in my modeling application for the best results. Often times though, I will not have to adjust in a modeling program. Even if it’s just a rough UV layout where you don’t want overlapping UVs it may be OK to just do a flat mapping style lightmap UV if you intend to go back and fix these all later. Just some thoughts.

Hardware instancing indeed works good on Android & iOS and this is awesome! Thank you Epic :smiley:

Any update on UE-16488? I am still (in latest 4.11 preview) getting a lot of warnings in my logs whenever I delete or change a blueprint structure.

See this answer hub for original issue: 4.8p4 - adding variables to a struct causes many warnings - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

[=antsonthetree;466777]
Any update on UE-16488? I am still (in latest 4.11 preview) getting a lot of warnings in my logs whenever I delete or change a blueprint structure.

See this answer hub for original issue: 4.8p4 - adding variables to a struct causes many warnings - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

UE-16488 (Adding to Struct causes ‘Inappropriate Outermost’ warnings) was confirmed fixed a while ago with the 4.9 release. You may have identified a new issue. If you believe so, please log a new bug report for it on the Answerhub.

Thanks

Sorry to be a pest, but any news on GLES 3.x (and deployment with ASTC to Android when using GLES 3.x) in 4.11 binary release ?

Found a sneaky Slate-related gotcha that appeared in 4.11.
SDockTab.Label and SHeaderRow.DefaultLabel (and possibly others I haven’t run into yet?) no longer accept TEXT(“something”) as parameter (this results in the cryptic “FText::FText cannot access private member declared in class ‘FText’” in Attribute.h), but will only accept LOCTEXT(“namespaceidentifier”,“something”)

Is it possible (easy) to do a dx12 build on 4.11?
Or is the output build automatically detecting which version to run the shipped game in?

Should the baseColor texture for hair have shadows baked into it or am I supposed to use a self shadow map?

Example, hair strands layer on top of each other and those strands cast a shadow upon the other strands. Should I leave that shadow out or bake it into the albedo/base color texture?

New hair model works with Masked rendering so shadows should also work. Dynamic inset shadow will help with resolution related problems. Also you never should bake shadows to albedo map because it will not darken specular at all. But instead you should use Cavity map which is grayscale texture. Then you multiply albedo and specular value(usually 0.5) with this. docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/PhysicallyBased/index.html

Did all devs test bug UE-25821 on other phones with 1GB RAM yet? Samsung stock ROM use about 700MB RAM so there is only 300MB RAM, and maybe the app use too much RAM so it get killed by Low Memory Killer.
Did you have the APK of UE 4.11? I will test it on my 2GB Galaxy S3 and report to you the result :stuck_out_tongue:

[=;466885]
Sorry to be a pest, but any news on GLES 3.x (and deployment with ASTC to Android when using GLES 3.x) in 4.11 binary release ?

I’ve learned that GLES 3.x won’t be part of the 4.11 Binary.

Cheers

[=Talrosh;466586]

How much were your UV’s overlapping ? I am wondering if the performance hit is proportional to the amount of overlap.