Unreal Engine 4.10 Preview

[]

We do not have this, but we are considering the possibility. I’m not sure which version of engine you used for the GameJam, but 4.9.2 did include a few fixes for Blueprint Undo crashes.
[/]

I can see it being a lot of extra work for you (I manage the sprints at work…) but I hope it becomes a thing :slight_smile:

I’m using 4.9.2.

Were there some changes in the foliage tool? -> the culling of the meshes is totally messed up now :slight_smile:

[=;399743]
I dont have VS 2015, thus I installed the redistribute.
If I choose to install VS 2015 in the future, do I need to remove/uninstall the redistribute, or take any other special action?
[/]

No, it requires runtime libraries as well of course, and will either use the runtime you installed or install a newer version alongside, as did VS2013 and before.

[]
No, it requires runtime libraries as well of course, and will either use the runtime you installed or install a newer version alongside, as did VS2013 and before.
[/]

Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

Is anyone else getting this? When I try to create a blank c++ project with 4.10 then I get the message that it can’t be compiled and when I open visual then and see whats the error, I get this:

[]
1>------ Build started: Project: PluginProject10, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
1> Performing full C++ include scan (building a new target)
1> Creating makefile for PluginProject10Editor (no existing makefile)
1> Performing 5 actions (6 in parallel)
1> PCH.PluginProject10.h.cpp
1>e:\unreal engine 4\epic games\4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\DelegateSignatureImpl_Variadics.inl(272): error C3859: virtual memory range for PCH exceeded; please recompile with a command line option of ‘-Zm76’ or greater
1>e:\unreal engine 4\epic games\4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\DelegateSignatureImpl_Variadics.inl(272): fatal error C1076: compiler limit : internal heap limit reached; use /Zm to specify a higher limit
1> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
1>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: I:\Unreal Projects\Projekte\PluginProject10\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-PluginProject10.dll
1> Total build time: 53,26 seconds
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ““E:\Unreal Engine 4\Epic Games\4.10\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat” PluginProject10Editor Win64 Development “I:\Unreal Projects\Projekte\PluginProject10\PluginProject10.uproject” -rocket -waitmutex” exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

[/]

The project is called “PluginProject10” and it’s just a new blank c++ project with nothing inside.

Is there a list of all the fixed bugs?

I am really liking that you are focusing on stability and bug fixes for this build, stability is a bit issue with all the major game engines right now. I’d love to see the “new” features previously added fixed up and taken out of experimental as well as blueprint optimizations and/or a blueprint to c++ converter (if such a thing is even possible)

[=Chaoss;399848]
I am really liking that you are focusing on stability and bug fixes for this build, stability is a bit issue with all the major game engines right now. I’d love to see the “new” features previously added fixed up and taken out of experimental as well as blueprint optimizations and/or a blueprint to c++ converter (if such a thing is even possible)
[/]

Blueprint to cpp converter would be cool but that sounds tedious and almost counter productive. I’d like to see more paper2d optimizations and completion. I’m well aware UE4 is more or less a 3D engine but a ton of individuals without a large or experience start out with 2D. Paper2d in itself isn’t that bad but the tilemaps could use a lot of work. I’d love to make a local player co-op game similar to Zelda Four Swords but the engine just can’t pull it off right now without going through a hail storm of bugs and tacky work arounds.

But as far as stability and bug fixes I’d say they’re doing pretty well. From 4.6 when I first started to now the engine is way more stable. My mobile game has less issues and the engine went from crashing many times a session to virtually never.

[= ;399830]
Is anyone else getting this? When I try to create a blank c++ project with 4.10 then I get the message that it can’t be compiled and when I open visual then and see whats the error, I get this:

The project is called “PluginProject10” and it’s just a new blank c++ project with nothing inside.
[/]

I’m getting similar error
Error 1 error C3859: virtual memory range for PCH exceeded; please recompile with a command line option of ‘-Zm23’ or greater c:\ue4.10.0p1\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\DelegateSignatureImpl_Variadics.inl 272 1 UE4
Error 2 error C1076: compiler limit : internal heap limit reached; use /Zm to specify a higher limit c:\ue4.10.0p1\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\DelegateSignatureImpl_Variadics.inl 272 1 UE4
Error 3 error : Failed to produce item: C:\UE4.10.0p1\Engine\Plugins\ScriptGeneratorPlugin\Binaries\Win64\UnrealHeaderTool-ScriptGeneratorPlugin.dll C:\UE4.10.0p1\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR UE4
Error 4 error MSB3073: The command “…..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development -waitmutex” exited with code -1. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 38 5 UE4

That’s when I try to compile the PS4 version. Any idea what that is?

I’d love to see Paper2D (or any 2D solution) be polished and better-implemented. I feel that UE4’s ease of accessibility (especially with BluePrint) is at odds with its relatively significant difficulty in dealing with 2D games, and it really could (and should) be better at it. 2D games give beginners a much easier starting point than an engine saying “I guess you could technically do 2D but look, between you and me… maybe don’t”.

I know the Paper2D stuff still isn’t fully integrated the way it should be, but I’m really looking forward to better tools for 2D games, and I’m hoping it’s still on the to-do list!

[=paulv2k4;399516]
Well makes the launcher completely useless for me, once again. Back to GitHub distributions it is then.

Why are “more than 300 fixes” being implemented into a “major” release? Should these “fixes” be included in the 4.8 or 4.9 minor patches? It is the one thing I have never understood about the release management / versioning of the Unreal Engine.
[/]

Yeah, I’d rather see the focus on fixing all the little annoying bugs, rather than new features…

[=Tonch;399890]
I’d love to see Paper2D (or any 2D solution) be polished and better-implemented. I feel that UE4’s ease of accessibility (especially with BluePrint) is at odds with its relatively significant difficulty in dealing with 2D games, and it really could (and should) be better at it. 2D games give beginners a much easier starting point than an engine saying “I guess you could technically do 2D but look, between you and me… maybe don’t”.

I know the Paper2D stuff still isn’t fully integrated the way it should be, but I’m really looking forward to better tools for 2D games, and I’m hoping it’s still on the to-do list!
[/]

It doesn’t seem to be an issue that 2D currently uses 3D space, physics and what not. It’s really not that hard to work with. The problem is that some of the Paper2D components act wonky under certain conditions.

It would be super awesome too if you could make an entire layer have a collision type in tilemaps instead of making individual tiles have collision. This would speed up work considerably and I feel make a huge contribution to tilemaps.

Collision layers with navmesh on tilemaps would pretty much be the best thing ever. I suppose if it were me I’d make the navmesh calculate around all layers but ignore collisions.

[=;399903]
It doesn’t seem to be an issue that 2D currently uses 3D space, physics and what not. It’s really not that hard to work with. The problem is that some of the Paper2D components act wonky under certain conditions.

It would be super awesome too if you could make an entire layer have a collision type in tilemaps instead of making individual tiles have collision. This would speed up work considerably and I feel make a huge contribution to tilemaps.

Collision layers with navmesh on tilemaps would pretty much be the best thing ever. I suppose if it were me I’d make the navmesh calculate around all layers but ignore collisions.
[/]

Yeah, I’m more referring to things like Paper2D skeletal systems and dynamic animation of that sort (without resorting to a 3d model comprised of a bunch of flat images), P2D flipbooks being integrated with and recognized by other tools (can’t be used in UMG or with some other aspects of the engine that would save lots of time), et cetera. It’d just be nice if it could be brought up to speed with the 3D tools and other engines’ 2D support, since the BluePrints feature would gel incredibly well with learning 2D games.

[=Chaoss;399848]
[/]

BP -> C++ is actually in the works, they said earlier in this thread that it’s estimated around 4.12 I think. ( trello/c/8Z0N60FR )

I’m a little curious about will the gpu particles be available in ios metal in 4.10?Since it has been postponed from 4.7…

[= ;399597]
Hi

Do you have Visual 2015 installed? The VS 2015 Redistributes are required for Lightmass building in 4.10. Please update to VS 2015 or install the 2015 Redistribute (located below) and let me know if this fixes the error you are seeing. If not, please post this to the answerhub in the bug reports section (link in signature) so I can assist you more in depth.

Edit: The specific Redistribute needed can be found here if you do not have VS 2015 installed. If you have 2015 installed, do not install this redistribute.
[/]

Perhaps I am a little on the confused side. I don’t use code anymore, just blueprints. So WHY do I need to upgrade to VS2015?

And to answer your question, no, I don’t have VS2015 installed. I appear to have a copy of VS2013 installed.

[=Demolition Man;399972]
Perhaps I am a little on the confused side. I don’t use code anymore, just blueprints. So WHY do I need to upgrade to VS2015?

And to answer your question, no, I don’t have VS2015 installed. I appear to have a copy of VS2013 installed.
[/]

Because lightmass (apparently) was updated to use the 2015 extension libraries a.k.a. windows api, instead of the older 2013 ones.

All you need to do is download the redistributable from MS pointed out in the post you quoted.

with 4.10 does it mean we can uninstall VS2013 now?

i hope

[]
UE-20613 Array inputs in Custom Events cause a compiler “note”
[/]

gonna be fixed and i finally move from 4.8

Hi,

So far 4.10 worked fine, if used with the BP templates. Now I tried to create a new project based on C++.
Upon creating the project in the launcher, I get an error messagethat some sort of SDK ismissing…
My windows is up to date, so what am I missing and how can I fix this?

AnswerHub reference: https://answers.unrealengine/questions/318398/unable-to-create-c-based-project.html

Thanks for checking :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Klaus