Unreal Engine 4.10 Preview

[=;399743]
I dont have VS 2015, thus I installed the redistribute.
If I choose to install VS 2015 in the future, do I need to remove/uninstall the redistribute, or take any other special action?
[/]

Yes, if you have VS2015, I would remove the Redist files.

I have come across a series BUGs on ios,which maybe critical to me:
1.DOF’s focal settings never work
2.some translucent materials don’t show
3.some particles don’t show

Here’s the thread Í post on the answerhub
https://answers.unrealengine/questions/318437/410bug-on-mobileios.html

Thank you very much!

[=;399795]
Were there some changes in the foliage tool? -> the culling of the meshes is totally messed up now :slight_smile:
[/]

Hi ,

Can you post to the Answerhub with an example and repro steps?

Thanks

[=Joviex;400007]
Because lightmass (apparently) was updated to use the 2015 extension libraries a.k.a. windows api, instead of the older 2013 ones.

All you need to do is download the redistributable from MS pointed out in the post you quoted.
[/]

I guess that must be the case. My point is if unreal engine 4 NEEDS that redistributable to run, it should install it.

[=Demolition Man;400218]
My point is if unreal engine 4 NEEDS that redistributable to run, it should install it.
[/]

Correct. It was an oversight that the file was missed in the Preview. This is why we do previews. :slight_smile:

[=Demolition Man;399972]
Perhaps I am a little on the confused side. I don’t use code anymore, just blueprints. So WHY do I need to upgrade to VS2015?

And to answer your question, no, I don’t have VS2015 installed. I appear to have a copy of VS2013 installed.
[/]

I wanted to apologize to you . I didn’t get that fact that LIGHTMASS needed the upgrade to VS2015 last night when I read your post. I obviously wasn’t thinking last night because you clearly stated that in you post.

BTW, this appears to have fixed the issue.

[= ;400241]
Correct. It was an oversight that the file was missed in the Preview. This is why we do previews. :slight_smile:
[/]

OK, no worries. I got it installed this morning and she’s up and working. One thing that was odd today was that I ported a 4.9.2 project over to 4.10 for testing purposes and 4.10 was asking to install the substance plugin. The strange part is that my project doesn’t use substance that I am aware of. So is it just doing that since the substance plugin was installed in the 4.9 version of the engine?

One interesting thing to note is that my test project gained 10fps converting from 4.9 to 4.10!!! AWESOME!

I know there was some talk of trying to fix the Zdepth fighting that happens with transparency’s is there any news if that is still being working on and will be in a future r

so we did a complete loop around from version 4.1 to 4.1 ( since the zero after 4.1 doesn’t count ) :rolleyes: lol

Awesome work guys, cant wait to try it out

[=;399866]
Blueprint to cpp converter would be cool but that sounds tedious and almost counter productive. I’d like to see more paper2d optimizations and completion. I’m well aware UE4 is more or less a 3D engine but a ton of individuals without a large or experience start out with 2D. Paper2d in itself isn’t that bad but the tilemaps could use a lot of work. I’d love to make a local player co-op game similar to Zelda Four Swords but the engine just can’t pull it off right now without going through a hail storm of bugs and tacky work arounds.

But as far as stability and bug fixes I’d say they’re doing pretty well. From 4.6 when I first started to now the engine is way more stable. My mobile game has less issues and the engine went from crashing many times a session to virtually never.
[/]

I’m with ya man. Paper2d deserves full attention. I’m working on a large scale paper2d game right now and it’s work-around city in my project. I’d love to see a lot more in the ways of features. It’d be great if we could add z layers to render shapes in the render components, so as not to split up sprites and have different render shapes to give illusion of walking behind an object. (with the render component.) It’d be great for an animation notify for animations in flipbook, and not have to worry about frame counting in code or blueprint. It’d certainly be great to have more robust collision and physics (I think box2d was on the plate but it was on and off .) I know I have a few tilemaps that I use that I can use navmesh on, I also use tile maps with procedural stuff so tilemaps is pretty good but collision is def a big thing that could be made with ease in mind.

edit: oh and of course performance improvement across the board for having a lot of different actors doing a lot of different things (paper2d wise.)

[= ;400173]
Yes, if you have VS2015, I would remove the Redist files.
[/]

If you deinstall it after installing VS2015 it just might not work anymore… No reason to ever uninstall any VS runtime libraries at all.

I have VS 2015 installed on my system but i get this:

Project files could not be generated. Log output:

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/4.10/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“C:/UE4/Spartan 4.10 - 3/Spartan.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
Discovering modules, targets and source code for game…
UnrealBuildTool Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual 14.0\Common7\Tools../…/VC/bin/amd64\cl.exe
at System.Diagnostics.FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(String fileName)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCEnvironment.FindCLExeVersion(String CompilerExe)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCEnvironment…ctor(CPPTargetPlatform InPlatform)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCEnvironment.SetEnvironment(CPPTargetPlatform Platform)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCToolChain.GetVCIncludePaths(CPPTargetPlatform Platform)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCProjectFile.WriteProjectFile(List1 InPlatforms, List1 InConfigurations)
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.WriteProjectFiles()
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.GenerateProjectFiles(String] Arguments, Boolean& bSuccess)
at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.GenerateProjectFiles(ProjectFileGenerator Generator, String] Arguments)
at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.DoPostStartupStuffThatCanAccessConfigs(String] Arguments)

Is this an AMD only thing or i am missing something?

Any time frame for when we will be able to ‘build lighting for selected objects only’? I saw a feature request on the Answer hub but not heard anything since. Thanks!

[=homelesspie;400412]
Any time frame for when we will be able to ‘build lighting for selected objects only’? I saw a feature request on the Answer hub but not heard anything since. Thanks!
[/]

Hi Homelesspie,

This is backlogged at the moment. It probably will not be any time in the near future.

“Support for an optional launch screen for Android projects has been added.”

Thank you so much! Just what i need most!! :slight_smile:

[=pyropace;400279]
so we did a complete loop around from version 4.1 to 4.1 ( since the zero after 4.1 doesn’t count ) :rolleyes: lol
[/]

It is not a decimal dot, so the zero does count. If it was, then the current 4.9.2 wouldn’t be a valid release :slight_smile:

I fixed it by running the setup again and installing c++.

Now I am getting this error:

An error occurred while trying to generate project files.

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/4.10/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“C:/Unreal/PN2/PN2.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
Discovering modules, targets and source code for game…
UnrealBuildTool Exception: ERROR: Failed to harvest environment variables

Super excited about this release! I would rather have a super-stable release than one packed with features that don’t work half the time :wink:

works great on Mac… I was able to cook my project and it is roughly the same size as a comparable cook in windows… Nice!

://www.jamietelford/binfour/osx_ue410.jpg

What’s the of the Abilities / Tasks system in 4.10?