Unreal Editor in VR - Official megathread

Hey guys, I’m trying to set up Vive controller to 3D Widget virtual mouse interaction in 4.11 and having some issues - any pointers for whereabouts this is handled in the VR-editor branch so I can port it into my project? Thanks!

Edit: Think I found it, seems to be at UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Editor/VREditor/VREditorInputProcessor.cpp/h and UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Editor/VREditor/VREditorFloatingUI.cpp/h, for reference.

Hey, you should take a look at VREditorUISystem OnVRHoverUpdate and OnVRAction, that’s the code you need.

Looking at that code, it’s pretty much what I was already doing - except I hadn’t set an input pre-processor and I’m not doing the same things with the window/viewport.

I think the main issue I’m having is that the WidgetComponent’s window/viewport is not getting the events, either the mirror window is or the VR viewport itself is.

Anyway, thanks ! I’m going to see if setting up my input preprocessor and maybe doing something hacky with the WidgetComponent’s window/viewport does what I need.

I went into the content folder and reduced the material parameters (intensity lowered) manually.

I’m getting a Vive today but I have doubts about keeping it. Not interested in tech demos or casual games… Project Cars isn’t on Vive and Elite Dangerous is currently broken it (Frontier looking for solution). I’m looking for some other reason to keep this HMD around…

How long before we get to build in VR?

I should say that I’ve been a DK2 user since last year and have CV1 on pre-order. I just became annoyed when Oculus released CV1 with no VR controllers and felt more swayed by the Vive’s feature set. The reality is though that Vive is tied to and limited by Valve. SteamVR is buggy and inefficient. Valve should have had a whole bunch of their own titles converted for VR and all they’ve done is create a portal demo and a crappy virtual theater that’s very poor alongside Vorpx.

I’m not sure at this point if I will keep the Vive when it arrives. I can’t sell my DK2 or else I lose PCars and ED in VR.

You can already build in VR. It’s in the 4.12 preview already.

Elite Dangerous works perfect with the Vive, haven’t had any problems with it at all. Will be much better if they actually implement some kind of control scheme that works with look direction and touch controllers but you wont get that with the Rift either.

None of the VR headsets really have any games that will keep you coming back to play over and over again specifically due to VR yet. Project Cars will be updated and probably already works ok with the Vive anyway, same as many of the other Oculus exclusives.

That’s good if it’s in the 4.12 preview.

I’m puzzled you’d say ED works perfectly since there is a known issue where Vive has graphic quality below DK2 since 1.3 oculus came to town. That suggests a change in SteamVR for CV1 release and has impacted Vive. When was the last time you tried ED with Vive?

There is no **official support **for PCars with vive but maybe it will come eventually.

I disagree with your assertion that none of the games keep you coming back in VR. That’s subjective. There are people buying VR just to play PCARS or ED. I use HOTAS for ED as do my ED playing friends. ED is very popular with VR users who rate the experience far above and triple monitor setup.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=245819

^^^

Worked fine for me on the HTC Vive when I tested it out a few days ago. Graphics looked the same as my DK2, just less screen door effect obviously which makes the text much more legible. I actually found it quite enjoyable with the room scale to be able to get up and walk around in the ship, not that there is a whole lot in there at the moment apart from some hidden displays and things in the back but could make things interesting once the co-pilot update comes along. Elite Dangerous is a hell of a lot better with Virtual Reality than multiple monitors. Just being able to use your head to follow around an enemy is great and makes a big difference to your play style. I find the same with racing games, I can get better times because I can actually look around corners as I would properly driving.

No official support yeah but I can’t imagine it would be too far away.

What I meant was that there is no current “made for VR” game that you keep going back in to play.

Project Cars and Elite Dangerous were both designed as standalone games, VR was just added in later. All of the remaining launch titles aside from the Eve Valkrie game don’t have a tonne of replay value.

I have found in a room with a few friends that fantastic contraption is a hell of a lot of fun, but it’s not a game I would really play on my own for too long. Pretty much the same story with most of them. Good fun to take turns with and share with friends but nothing I would put myself into long term.

If ED came out with controls that used the head tracking better and utilized the vive wands then I would definitely spend a lot more time in it, but going back to playing VR games with a gamepad after motion controls has just completely lost it’s appeal to me

OK, I get you about the designed for VR… Yes, no VR specific game that keeps me coming back. ED is a space sim and the optimal control is HOTAS. I use Saitek X-52 Pro (as do my friends). If I had to use crappy eggbox controller I too would lose interest. I’m a strong believer in using the correct tools for the job… For Project Cars I bought Thrustmaster T300RS, for DCS World and Elite D I use Saitek X-52. I avoid using eggbox controller if I can. For FPS like HL2 I’d use mouse and keys.

Just out of interest… you’re running something faster than 970 GTX eh? 980Ti or ATI?

Installed Unreal latest version… How do I enable the VR editing? I’m using HTC Vive? I can get the preview window in VR but can’t find any option to construct in the VR world…

you should see your vive controllers in the world if you are in VR Edit mode.

Make sure you are using 4.12+, you have enabled VR Editor (Editor Preferences -> Experimental -> Enable VR Editing). There will be a new “VR” button on your toolbar. You can follow the tutorial to learn how to interact with the world (inside vr-editor)

Any idea of when you will be able to blueprint in VR?

you should see your vive controllers in the world if you are in VR Edit mode.

Make sure you are using 4.12+, you have enabled VR Editor (Editor Preferences -> Experimental -> Enable VR Editing). There will be a new “VR” button on your toolbar. You can follow the tutorial to learn how to interact with the world (inside vr-editor)
[/QUOTE]

I’m using 4.1.1.2. Is that the wrong version? I can’t see that option under experimental section.

Edit: OK I get it. I need the Preview version! I will get it now.

Thanks.

Got it working in VR.

Impressive. Resolution seems a bit fuzzy… There isn’t a setting I need to change for that is there?

This continually blows my mind. Great work!

Big request - my Vive controllers, like many out there, have triggers which don’t return to 100% after clicking (more like 98%). So I have to manually push them back out that last little bit in order to initiate the “half press” for menu selections.

Could the trigger reset be calibrated to 95% instead of 100%?

Hi there, just updated and installed to try the VR preview. I liked a lot of it. Though I did encounter two problems.

1. When I had my grip button (either) down my right eye was switched to an ortho view of a brick texture and some text which I couldn’t read. A little weird but I was able to get past it.
  2. The beam at the end of the emitter on my right? controller is thicker in the y than my left controller.

As far as suggestions go, I would look to have ‘modes’ for VR editor, like say particle mode, where you would have a docked cascade window and be in the preview window, so you could orbit and live preview in VR. Selecting each particle effect in editor, highlighting in docked editor etc… Or perhaps BSP/volumes mode. As I felt that it’s a little too geared toward level design. Though maybe all the tools are there and I just didn’t access them in the right way?

Either way, fantastic product, lots of potential.

I’ll look into this, and bring it up to see if we can get a fix for this. That unfortunate that some controllers are having that issue. Is it common?

Thank you for your feedback!

1. Haven’t seen this issue yet. Can you tell us what you did ? Did you have multiple windows open etc. or stuff like that ?

I have been working on this for a little bit. It is a necessary feature to support the entire editor and it’s actually really useful to see your particle, material, animation or whatever directly in VR.

Hey so first of all let me tell you how much I appreciate this VR Editor. I have been looking forward to it since the dawn of New VR (2013 :wink: !).

I only spent half an hour in it so far so I’m sorry if some of my complains already have solutions (or if I just missed the answers).

First of all it seems I have some resolution issue, both in the VR editor or simply in VR mode. Everything looks likes the DK2 resolution, even though I am using the Vive or Rift CV1. Is there anything I can do to improve that ?
Also, the Vr UI seems even lower in terms of resolution and I have to get my head very close to be able to read text on it.

When I first started the VR editor I had a lot of weird graphical artefacts but it disappeared after a while. I’ll try to take a screen if it happens again.

Is there any way to rotate an object using both controllers without messing with the scale ?

Great work so far. One thing id really like to see is a quick human snap scale button which includes ground level being correct. It’s quite tricky to get everything right after you’ve played around with world scale.

The other thing is the object grid gets in your face quite a bit.