Unreal crashes when using ray tracing

Hi guys I’m new to ue4 and have been trying out ray tracing, it works for a bit but when I click something it crashes with this error:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000018

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12
D3D12
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

My laptop specs are:
RTX 2060
32GB RAM
I7-9750H

First, make sure you’re only using the Nvidia GPU, since you’re on a laptop there’s an integrated Intel GPU, so go to the Nvidia Control Panel and go into the 3D settings and set the Nvidia GPU to control everything. By default it will try to choose between your GPU’s but does a bad job so to avoid any chance of that causing a problem just use the Nvidia GPU.
Next, make sure your laptop is plugged in, when you’re on battery it can cause performance problems.

If you’re still having issues, it may be whatever you’re trying to do, ray tracing takes a lot and the 2060 is on the lower end for ray tracing. You should at least be able to run a default empty scene with it turned on though.
You can also check your display resolution, games are often targeted toward 1080p resolution while many laptops have higher resolution so if you set your display to 1080p (if it was higher by default) then that can help as well.

Hi, i solve this.
i had one asset without raytracing enabled in their settings. Find and enable raytracing in your assets.

1 Like

Greetings TheGARent!

We see that this is your first time posting! :medal_sports: We are SO stoked to welcome you to the Unreal Engine Community!

We cheer in delight when we see members like you solve an issue and share it with the community! It keeps our forums strong. :muscle:t4: Happy Creating and have a Happy New Year! Remember, “Make Something Unreal!”.

worked for me, thanks!