Unreal Build Tool error for only one project

I recently added some plugins to my project (Lyra’s CommonGame, CommonUser, and ModularGameplayActors plugins). But when I tried to regenerate my project files to index the plugins, I got this error from UBT:

… referring to this code in UnrealBuildTool.cs:

I am using the current “release” branch of Unreal’s source, with a PS5 platform extension. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this, and nothing works.

I tried removing the plugins; I tried reverting back several versions to long before this error started happening; I tried completely uninstalling my source build of the engine and reinstalling it from scratch, removing all of my engine plugins and platform extensions. I tried endless combinations of Build.cs dependencies, .uproject settings, and Target.cs settings. I still get this error.

The strangest part is that this error only occurs for this project with this build of the engine. I can build any other project perfectly fine on the same engine, and I can build this project perfectly fine on any binary engine version.

I even created a new project, copied all of my plugins, dependencies, and project settings, and re-built it, and the new project didn’t give me this error, while the original project still gives it.

The only solution I can imagine now is creating a new project from scratch, copying all of of my source, and migrating all of my assets; but this is a massive project and that’s just not possible. I’m really at a loss here, and am desperate for any possible fixes.

Greetings @ThatNerdFury

The part that caught my eye(And likely yours as well) was the ‘Some platforms were skipped due to invalid SDK setup’. I pulled a post from a year or 2 back that someone had ran into. I’d start there and see if it’s the same reason. Some Platforms were skipped due to invalid SDK setup

I don’t have any of the SDKs set up for those platforms, but they’re all disabled for this project. All of my other projects give me the same message when generating project files, but they still generate them succesfully.

I’ve found that if I generate the project files with a binary engine version, then run my source build to open the “open project” prompt, click “browse,” and select my project (built with the binary version), the game will prompt me to rebuild its modules. That switches the target engine in the .uproject, and I can open my project with the source build of the engine.

But that doesn’t update my solution. If I try to build or run my project using the .sln, it switches back to the binary version. I still cannot manually re-generate my project files with the correct engine version.

Bumping this because I still haven’t been able to figure it out…

Alright, after a lot of trial and error, I found the problem to be the Platforms folder in the project’s directory, where additional platform configurations are held. For some reason, these settings—for me, it was PS5 settings—being configured incorrectly results in this mysterious error code, without providing any information on what’s wrong. For now, I’ve just deleted the Platforms folder entirely (not the engine extension; just the project’s settings), and I’m now able to properly build the project.

Ah, right on! I knew it had to be something along those lines. Although I wasn’t sure where the problem would be specifically. I’m glad you figured it out, though!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.