Unreal 5 Vr Template runs with low fps and screen stutters, Why?

Hello, I just started learning vr dev and I wanted to hop in the vr template and mess around, I started the vr template and run it in vr preview and the performance is awful, the fps is low and everything is shaky, I have no idea why , please help

1 Like

Having this problem with 4.26.2 so I’d like to follow this

Hello, So I solved my Problem, for me it was running the preview through steam vr, I turned off the plugin and made sure the oculus vr plugin is on and everything works fine now

Yeah, that is one of the best solutions could ever be :slight_smile:

If you’re using the VR template in 4.27 or UE5 you don’t have to change the plugin settings, but you have to make sure that you set the appropriate runtime. The easiest way to do this is to use OpenXR explorer: GitHub - maluoi/openxr-explorer: A cross-platform OpenXR capabilities explorer and runtime switcher with a CLI and GUI.

If you have an Oculus device, you should set your runtime to Oculus. If you have a SteamVR device (Vive/Index, etc), set it to SteamVR.

While SteamVR does support Oculus devices, it’s not the preferred path and can lead to issues.

Also, make sure you don’t have other editor windows open.

Just in case anyone else is having this issue, there’s a quick fix I found on Reddit. It works. For some reason, Unreal 5 has a UDP packeting/messaging plugin (just search for “UDP Messaging” under plugins) enabled by default. What this is doing enabled by default in a single-player VR experience is anyone’s best guess, but it’s at least one cause of the stutter. Disable it, and watch your framerate improve.

Jim

2 Likes

I’ve searched many places to try and improve the fps. This helped tremendously. Thanks so much!