Unreal 5 Dedicated Server

Hi everybody - I am having some trouble with setting up and connecting to my dedicated server through remote desktop, and I would really appreciate any assistance.

We are making a simple multiplayer mobile game in UE5. I followed the official docs regarding setting up a dedicated server. I have built the engine from source, created Server.Target.cs, built and packaged it. I did not make a separate client target but rather just packaged the default build target (as per the docs).

Everything works fine locally when I run the game and server exe’s separately. But when I copy the packaged server files over to the remote desktop (where the actual server is running), run it and try connecting to it as a client I get this error:

“FailureType = OutdatedClient, ErrorString = The match you are trying to join is running an incompatible version of the game. Please try upgrading your game version., Driver = PendingNetDriver IpNetDriver_21**”

I tried googling this and had no luck. The builds/packages are identical with what I have locally and what I copy to the server desktop. I tried packaging Shipping versions, rebuilt the engine from source and retraced all the steps - all with no avail.

An associate with a lot more experience recommended us to change to UE4, which would be less than preferable to say the least.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Turns out there was another UE server running on the same port we were trying to connect to; thus the incompatibility error.

You can change the server port by passing “-port=XXXX” as an argument to the executable.

1 Like