Unreal 5.2 wont launch (Xcode not found)

When i launch Unreal 5.2.0 i get this error message:

I have updated my OSX to 13.4.1 (22F82), and updated Xcode to 14.3.1 (14E300c). I have restarted my computer, not sure what else to try.

Anyone else know how to remedy this?

Thanks,
Mitch

Hey there @mingman01! Welcome to the community! After you’d installed Xcode 14.3.1, did you launch it once? It requires that you launch it once to generate the rest of the data and accept the license.

Does Xcode launch on it’s own independently fine?

@SupportiveEntity yes! I use xcode for work so I opened and ran my work project. Everything seems fine with xcode

Hrm, could it be that the command path isn’t set up? This thread here goes over how to do that.

Either doing it the command way

sudo xcode-select -s (Location of Xcode)

or doing it via the CMD+ settings might suffice.

4 Likes

Hey thanks for the suggestion, looks like it is already set:

Any other suggestions? Maybe its relevant that my mac has the M2 chip? I know some apps get wacky. Is unreal capable of running on a silicon chip?

No luck still

Thanks,
Mitch

Also i don’t thats not the same message? Mine mentions says nothing about Metal

Oh yes, we actually have some tech in the pipeline that only works on M2 macs (due to some atomics shenanigans) so it should absolutely be functional.

Though their error was a bit different it seems the same in being unable to find Xcode and both requiring it for Metal, or at least the version it’s looking for, so I’d hoped that would clear it up. There are a couple of users actually having this issue with 5.2 it seems so it may be more of an issue than expected. Some are checking to see if lowering Xcode minor versions back to 14.0 or 14.1 but I haven’t heard back on their success.

Hmm okay please post here if you find a solution, until then i cannot use Unreal it seems! If anyone else has any other ideas let me know!

Thanks
Mitch

I have a Mac Studio with the M2 and it works fine.

However, when updated, did you uninstall And delete everything from the Shared folder and reinstall Unreal? UE 5.2 added support for  Silicon. So if you have binaries left over from <5.2 it’s possible that would cause the problems, that some binaries are for ARM and others for Intel. I would do a very clean install of Unreal now that you have updated your OS and Xcode.

@UncleTron that seemed to have work, full uninstalling of Unreal and re-installing worked for me. Thanks for the tip. All good now!

2 Likes

Also note that you started out with UE 5.0, which required XCode 13, not 14.

1 Like

I had the same error about Xcode. I looked in /Applications and there it was… why couldn’t Unreal find it? I don’t know. I ran sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app anyway, and then it all worked.

Thanks for that solution

8 Likes

the sudo command helped me too. Thank you!

3 Likes

Ditto. Worked for me

1 Like

This finally worked. I had watched several videos on YouTube and none of them gave me the solution. Thanks for the info, this finally worked for me.

1 Like

The “Command Line Tools” drop-down in the Xcode preferences’ “Location” tab only has one option for me. I clicked on it just to see what was there, and doing so reset the text/path that was displaying underneath it. After that, UE launched fine. Thanks!

1 Like

Yep this worked for me also on M3 mac book pro

This worked for me, thank you!