[UNPAID/REV-SHARE HOBBY PROJECT] Shadowfall - Third Person Multiplayer PvP Game with Action Combat

Hey Unreal Community,
im looking for some team mates to bring my dream project to life. Im a passionate gamer and always dreamed of creating games but my learning journey headed in different directions. Im now 26 and had the idea for my game when I was 16 but in a much bigger scale and when I got some experience in cs/development quickly realized that this is not going to happen. The current project is still very ambitious but im willing to bring it at least to a playable alpha or even beta stage no matter how long it will take. I would consider myself as a junior to mid level developer with some years of experience working part time besides my bachelor cs degree which I completed last month. Within the engine I would consider myself still quite a noob tbh but now that I completed my cs degree I want to invest more time especially at the weekend besides my job. To describe my background in more detail im quite a generalist. I started learning C++ as my first language and worked with the Qt Framework at my first dev job. I was mainly doing frontend stuff and also worked on a NoSQL backend there. In my spare time and within some university projects I also got into other fields like embedded/Iot development with C++ and MCs like ESP32. I also experienced different frontend frameworks to some degree for Desktop and Mobile like Xamarin/MAUI, Good old WinForms, React JS + Native, Flutter, Bootstrap, Tailwind CSS. So I also experienced languages like JavaScript/TypeScript, C#, Dart and did a bit of Web Development with PHP, CSS, HTML. So if you’d ask me I could build almost anything on any platform but still wouldn’t consider myself as a real expert in one of the fields. So I would get to a good result but maybe not so fast like other people that have much expertise and experience.

Ok but now to my project:
The core game idea is a Multiplayer third person pvp game with action combat within a fantasy setting that is a mix of dark and high fantasy. It should feature 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, 10v10 and 15v15 game modes (focussing on the small sized competitve game modes first). The game will feature 10 different classes that mostly represent well known fantasy genre all-stars like Assassin, Mage/Sorcerer, Cleric. The plan is to fully implement 5-6 classes at launch and bringing the remaining classes with updates. Since it aims for a fast fluid combat experience with focus on esports the character system is going to be more lightweight than planned in the first place because tbh this will unfold as an unbalanceable mess at the end. 10 Classes will be the absolute max because of balancing so future updates will maybe more concentrate on tweaking the 10. Im open to any ideas regarding the classes because they are all not final. All in all the combat primary focus lies on movement and aiming, not on class knowledge. The key will be to find the perfect balance between those aspects. Over the past years I worked on the project on and off with long breaks sometimes. I built some small arena maps that still need more details, started a website based on php and bootstrap (of course not launched yet) and built some menus with a minimal ui that needs a major visual rework at some point. Gameplay wise I only played around with some basic skill implementations but almost everything hard coded and with blueprints. So now I want to go all in an start to learn all different aspects of gameplay programming in UE5 and really want to get to an advanced level in all aspects also with animations, ui, backend, multiplayer etc. All I achieved to this point was due to usage of free assets (Quixel Lib, Paragon Characters) and so on. I have no clue about modeling and 3D art but at least want to refresh my mathematical skills in linear algebra to really go deep into some parts of computer graphics. But besides coding I love to write stories and try building a rich fantasy world behind the game even if it´s not really story driven. The current AI revolution now empowers me to create solid artworks that let me visualize my ideas better and will probably also be used for voice acting. I have some friends that want to help me out with level design and my brother wants to do the sound design for the whole game. Currently my personal milestones are to setup a modular skill and combat system with the help of the GameplayAbilitySystem Plugin that also works with replication so that I can start to build multiplayer features.

To conclude my long post I could need helping hands on any front. Especially 3D artists would be very helpful but also programmers for backend and frontend or level designers. There are many decisions to make for example for the backend what db to use and stuff. No matter what your experience level is and what you do or want to do, if this sounds interesting in any way please let me know and we will have a talk on discord so that I can explain more about the game concept, it´s systems and what I exactly want to achieve. Also if you have no experience and just want to learn together with some friendly people that want to have a good time together in discord sessions, go for it. I know its quite a heavy project but It doesnt matter how long it will take or if it will ever be successful at the end because money is not my interest I want to play this game so badly and want to deliver a solid gameplay experience in the end. I will continue working on this till I die. If this for some reason will be successfull (in my vision there is at least a tiny chance because it could be interesting for esports and currently there is no competition) we will rev share and start a company based on the game to then afterwards maybe create other games in the same universe and of course support and extend Shadowfall. Or maybe doing new ips and really get to a professional level together. And if not, I also see my lifetime dream fullfilled when I am able to play this with some friends and the whole team for fun Online or on LAN parties :slight_smile:

Lastly some details about the technical setup:
I use github with LFS as version control, Visual Studio 2022 as IDE and VS Code as a secondary IDE (for handling side stuff like json files or other things), Trello as a ticket system, Mega Cloud as file server solution and the rest will be handled over my discord server.

If you want to join me on my journey, add me on discord arrowhead1337 OR ArrOwHeaD#9633 OR just reply to this post. I appreciate any help and im thankful for anyone that will share my vision in any aspect.

Yo I sent you a friend request on discord.

We gathered some people together to work on the project but we are still looking for people on all fields especially:

3D-Artists
UI/UX Designers / Programmers
Gameplay Programmers
Networking/Backend Programmers
2nd Sound Engineer
Level Designers

So if you are interested just reply here or add me on discord arrowhead1337 and pm me there.

Hit me up on discord solinvictus2905

Hi I wanted to give an update on our project slowly but surely we are getting somewhere. I needed to take a longer break at the end of last year and started to get things rolling again at the end of january.

Our Hobbyist team currently consists of:

• Me (Frontend, Backend, Gameplay, UI/UX, Lore, Game Design)
  • 1 Assistant Lore Writer
  • 1 VFX Artist
  • 1 Level Designer
  • 2 Audio Engineers

We are heavily relying on store assets still but based on our lore the vision of the game becomes more clear day by day so we would urgently need some people with the following professions:

• 1 or more Animators that can adjust animations from bought packs to our needs or build completely new ones based on our class and abilities documentation
  • 1 or more Character Artists to build some detailed characters based on the other races from our lore and rig them to the UE5 Skeleton
  • 1 or more Environment Artists that can help us bringing our environment Art to life especially in terms of unique buildings or props

But we would be thankful to any other profession that has interest in our project idea may it be UI/UX programming, level design or programming. I still know that this project is very ambitious for a small team of fairly unexperienced game developers but we think that with enough passion we can really bring this game to life. I estimate another 3-4 years of development to really bring this to a high quality standard and getting all the backend infrastructure thought out well, fully implemented and stabilized.

Our ambitious goal for the end of this year is a minimal playable pre alpha with the following features:

• 1 playable Build for the classes Sorcerer, Bloodmage, Templar, Ranger, Assassin
  • Working minimal Backend that allows logins, joining game sessions, creating characters (without cosmetic options at first, 1 predefined character per class)
  • 4 Arena Maps (2vs3, 3vs3 Arena Skirmish)
  • 2 Middle sized Battleground Maps (5vs5 Domination Mode)
  • Basic integration of Epic Online Services and Steam to invite friends and start matches on the dedicated test server

This is a quick introduction to where we are at right now (I know its very very very early and there needs much to be done in terms of design, most of the stuff is only mockup but it should give you an idea of what this should be at the end). Here are some screenshots of menus, ingame and some artworks to give you a sneak peak of the style we want to achieve:

Quick story introduction:
Shadowfall takes place in the world of Aranthia, a fantasy world which style is a mix of dark and high fantasy and contains serveral races that all went trough a planetary catastrophe called the Shadowfall which caused a rain of meteors and mysterious artifacts that are infused by a yet unknown form of magic that in addition to the obvious physical destruction started to corrupt humanoid beings and also the environment. Some people seem to be immune to this energy. At first the people of Aranthia tried to stand together against this new threat but as the years went by they managed to habituate to the new environment but still willing to find a way to either control the new form of magic or find a way to get rid of it once and forever and heal the corruption of the planet. Thats were the Age of suspicion took place and where most of the civilizations and races started to pick a side which lead to the creation of the factions Shadowpact and Lightsworn which now fight over control in this world. Its still unknown what the origin of everything was and why some people are immune (its already wrote down in lore docs :D). If you want to learn more about the story and really like to be part of the journey to bring it to life just let me know :wink:

ARTWORKS:

NOTE: In case someone may complain, yes this is mostly AI generated art since we dont have the resources and this is the best tool to visualize our lore and thoughts right now so please be forgiving, I still respect the value of human art and in my opinion there is nothing ai generated that can truly compete with human talent but as I said its the only option right now.

Class Artworks:
Bloodmage

Templar

Assassin

Sorcerer

Some Race Artworks:

Mengaro:

Xarandur:

Dwarf:

High Elf:

Telrakhi:

Valkar:

Environment and Story Art (some of it not understandable unless you know the full background lore):

Some ingame Screenshots:

No matter if this finds a community or not, this will launch one day our hearts are into it :smiley: If you want to join us on our journey to make the best possible Third person PvP arena game we can bring to the table with our current resources, hit me up on discord arrowhead1337 Thanks for reading to the end! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking Great. Keep Going!

1 Like

Amazing, good to see pvp action combat having a competitive modes at the get go.

Good luck

1 Like

Hi there @ArrOwHeaD1337,

The story art alone made me stoked to follow this project. The race choices are also just stellar. I rarely see a medieval/fantasy themed PvP game that is so heavy handed with lore so this is definitely unique! :slight_smile: Are you taking a bit of inspiration from MMORPGS?

PS: The Telrakhi: look rad! :smiley:

2 Likes

@TechLord @WildeHoney @PresumptivePanda Thank you so much for the positive feedback. If the PvP part succeeds we also have plans to expand the game with PvE coop modes to be able to use more of the lore and convert this into PvE coop campaigns that drive the current timeline forward and provide challenging content for the players where they can earn exclusive cosmetic gear for example that can then also be used in the PvP part since gear in Shadowfall is purely cosmetic becuase of balancing purposes. And maybe even some hybrid modes but there is no concept for that. Focus for now is bringing the arena and domination modes to life with some interesting maps that play a key role in the conflict between Shadowpact and Lightsworn.

1 Like

I would encourage PVE to be incorporated along with PVP on release. In my opinion, its very high risk to be PvP only because Shadowfall would very dependent on Player Server Population ( which could and most likely be very low in its infancy.)

PVE could be simple as Zombie style bots. At minimum, these Bots would be useful for solo testing during the dev process.

1 Like

@PresumptivePanda Yes you are right im a heavy MMORPG fan since my childhood and only got into computer science because I wanted to create this world and game. It should have been an MMORPG in the beginning but I quickly realized that this is not gonna happen. I also loved to play PvP for example Arena in World of Warcraft but what I always disliked is that the complexity in terms of equipment and builds in my opinion creates a huge drawback for the raw gameplay fun in most of the MMORGPS. And I dont like most MOBAS because I think the controls and pace is not ideal for games of this kind. Shadowfall aims to create a bridge between Action RPGS, Third Person Shooters, MOBAS and Beat em Up games. Going back to the lore inspiration I know not everything is really innovative and it doesnt need to be but we at least try to stray enough own accents into this world. At the end you could say we are trying to create a dark/high fantasy world that is a mixup of World of Warcraft, The Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer, Magic the Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons and Mortal Kombat. Will be interesting where this leads us but im so happy that you guys already like how this looks like. And im also glad that all these modern tools combined with AI allow us to turn our passion into something really cool even with a small team :smiley:

1 Like

@TechLord Definetly, im on your side maybe we should provide some kind of Horde mode and some smaller Dungeons/Coop Missions at release. The plans are still not final but the first playable pre alpha will be PvP only. Im also working on AI currently because I would need them at least for the class tutorials that should have a class specific lore background and also introduce some important characters from the Shadowpact and Lightsworn to pull the player at least a little bit into the world. I thought in the end of some sort of MMORPG lite in the PvE part. First and foremost you have the coop story campaigns, then you have special dungeons/coop missions and in the far future I could also imagine some semi open world zones where you have some kind of extraction mode where you hunt bosses for example and need to extract loot. But loot in Shadowfall should always be cosmetic only there are no stats on the items at all because of its PvP focus. Maybe you could implement some hybrid systems that activate set bonuses and stats only for the PvE part. But speaking of zombies there is also something fitting in the lore because of the Shadowfall corruption there are the corrupted which is some kind of faction that could be used for the first maps of the horde mode.

Nice to see such passion going in :smiley: I’m stoked to see what you and your team manage to create. In the meantime, good luck finding those team members. Hope they make your dream come to life :slight_smile: