Unofficial DMX in Unreal MegaThread. 4.26+

Heyo,
I experienced the same issue:
SoundSwitch seems to send ArtNET on Universe 0 and 1, but the ArtNET-Plugin in UE4 receive only above 0. It’s a counting issue from the developers I think. Try to send ArtNET in Universe 2 with SoundSwitch, that should work.
How do you get a connection between SoundSwitch and UE4? I have to use external programs like DMX Control3, because SoundSwitch only sends Unicast and UE4 receives only Broadcast so far.
Greetings Tim

1 Like

Hello
A question about the Take Recorder. It seems that recording an artnet stream of more than 3 universes causes problems, perhaps because it seems to be writting for all fixtures separately.
Is there a way to set this, or to import artnet data into Unreal Engine and have it played by the sequencer without passing by the take recorder ?
This could be of importance for all kind of big scale projects, such as architectural lighting.
++

I am having trouble getting the pyro/sparkler, strobes, and lasers to respond in UE. What fixtures are these based off of or what is the setup for those in the DMX controller? i.e. parameters and settings for the channels

So in reference to everyone trying to get custom gobos working, the gobo tables is just a value reference, changing the linked file does nothing sadly…
The way UE4 does it is the whole wheel is one long thin strip and then there are pre-determined points for it to snap to along the ‘ribbon’ so the way to change it is if you open up the blueprint for your moving light, then go to the GoboWheel_Component and at the bottom of the details panel on the right, open up DMX Gobo Wheel and double click on the Clean Disk image, it’ll show you your ‘wheel’. What you then need to do is find it in the content browser, download it and either edit it or upload an identically sized image, making sure that you keep each gobo the EXACT same size as they will overlap otherwise, then you need to create a blurry version of that ribbon and put that into the Frosted Disk slot.
If you need to know the size of the image, unreal will tell you when you double click on it in the blueprint editor.

Be careful though that if you change the empty slot, you won’t have an empty slot (easy to do with the likes of Vipers and BMFLs etc)

Good Luck!

1 Like

With MVR, it will be really competitive with other lighting visualizers

Hi! First of all I’m so happy about DMX support in Unreal Engine. Before, I was using Quartz Composer + CoGe VJ + Madmapper to drive my LED stripes for my shows, but since 2 of these softwares are obsolete now I decided to join the Unreal Engine train! ^_^/
Not sure if it’s the correct thread to ask about these features, but are my questions:

1. In DMX Pixel Mapping, is there already a way to change the angle of a mapping, for exemple rotate a DMX screen by 33 degrees when trying to map leds stripes with triangles. A workaround I found is to use multiples scene captures cameras and have each of them at a different angle. But it’s not very convenient.

2. Another question is how can I visualise on a fixture the result of a DMX Pixel Mapping? For exemple if I have 8 led stripes of 150 pixel each on one universe, I would like to see the preview inside the viewport also. I tried using a BP_Matrix from the DMX plugin fixture library with the same size (x1*y150) but I’m blocked on linking them with the DMX Pixel Mapping result.
    Is it possible to “stream” back to a fixture what is mapped from a DMX Pixel Mapping?
    EDIT: basically what happens in this video tutorial: MadMapper + Ue4 Pixel Stix tutorial - YouTube but with DMX Pixel Mapping replacing Madmapper. You can also see how the fixtures can be rotated in Madmapper.

Thanks!

I’m having a hard time getting ArtNet from another computer into my UE4.26.1 project (using the demo pre-viz starter project). Using ArtNetominator I can confirm that art net is making into the UE editor computer. Plugins are active, Receive DMX is active, Interface is selected with correct IP range, Firewall is off for UE Editor… But when I bring up DMX Channel Monitor for universe 1 (same that ArtNetominator monitoring), no data is actually making it into UE. Is there some additional state that the project has to be in to actually receive DMX? Thanks

Have you created an Art-Net controller under the DMX Library and set it to broadcast?

Try bringing up the DMX activity monitor instead. This will show you activity on any universe. Art-net begins at universe 0 but most lighting desks will show this as universe 1

Any links to enttec dmx device setup? I wanted to see how to set up assorted devices to work with unreal 4.26, I have a usb pro, and ode mk2. Does the pro work the same way for setup over usb as the mk2 one does with ethernet jack?

Please help me!!
Please show me a screenshot of the blueprint for controlling CMY.

I found this cool video from Danger, they used the DMX plug in for sure (right?) :

I find the shaky camera a bit too much but otherwise it’s awesome.

Do you guys know if the virtual shows in Fortnite also use the DMX plugin?

I am a lighting designer. after watching DMX Previs Sample video, I set the same environment. UE4.26 and GrandMA Console. and made GDTF.

I could control the moving_lights with Dot2 on PC program. But when connected external console(MA2), I can’t get any DMX data through Artnet.

I checked the data receiving from MA2. The artnet data is living. But I can’t see any data on DMX Activity Monitor in Unreal. It works well with Dot2 On PC. How can I connect with MA2 console???

Product Version: UE 4.26

Hello. In a Previs perspective I’m trying to control simple fixtures in UE, such as 1 Ch white LED Par, but there seems to be something I don’t understand in the light functions. For example the “White” (ColorAdd_W) seems to be effectless.
I understand RGB is enough for virtual production, but as for previs we need to keep the same channel mapping, it would be great is someone could help on the matter.
Thank you

1 Like

As this is partly solved, I post it in case it is useful to someone. This video by Pixel Does helped: RGB to CMY conversion for DMX fixtures in Unreal 4.26 - YouTube
By tweaking the outputs of the New Color in the Color Component, it is easy to make any king of simple color mix.

1 Like

Laser question. I get how to patch the sharpy and the other lights, and have them working through MagicQ. The one thing you didn’t go over is how to patch the laser in magicQ?

Maybe… TBH the fixtures themselves are just meant as examples. We hope the community improves them and adds features as needed.

Shouldn’t be a problem to record 3 universes… We did about 20 for the DMX Sample project. You can record with only an empty level if you are running into bad performance problems.
To import you have to do a little work… You’d have to record it offline as a .csv table or something, import it and then write some python, or widget blueprint to print it to a sequencer track. It’s possible though.

I just started learning dmx and plan to create a project for vr so i need as much performance as possible. Normally lots of dynamic lights and effects would be almost impossible in vr but dlss is getting close to usable with some tweaking.

There’s two things im trying to achieve right now i hope you can help with…

1. Get the web browser plugin render target texture and use that for the pixel mapper instead of scene capture?

2. Use a single pixel instead of group for all lights so all lights are same color for better performance?

If there’s better ways to get a similar result please let me know. I wondered if i could duplicate the render target as 1x1 pixel resolution and use that instead of the pixel mapper for lighting instead? I tried something similar for fake material lighting in the past but not sure if there’s a cheap way to convert texture colour to lighting without needing scene capture. Thanks.

hi, i m struggling with the matrix blueprint , i own some 360 tube pixel bar than can emit 360 instead of one direction , and i m a big noob in unreal, i tried to modify ithe blueprint but its a bit complicated for me , is anybody good enough to go more deeply into that and explain me how to change this matrix bleueprint appearance?

Hi!!

Anyone can tell me how i can create a fixture with two Gobo Wheels, one static and one rotating and the third channel for rotation of the gobo wheel?

I try everithing but i can’t afford…