Unofficial DMX in Unreal MegaThread. 4.26+

A couple questions for the group:

• What is the difference between / purpose of having the DMX Engine and DMX Protocol as different plugins? Just looking for an understanding of this logic.
  • What is the recommended performant way for processing dmx if the logic lives in the Player Controller? I see that one method is to Bind Event On Fixture Patch Received but this is for DMX Components and doesn’t seem to be an option when using Player Controllers. I also noticed that Bind Event on Protocol Received has been deprecated. So is the only option left to use Tick?

Thanks!

I actually just realized you can add a DMX Component to the Player Controller. Assuming you don’t add the component though, I’m not clear on how you could use On Fixture Patch Received since it wants a reference to the DMXComponent Object. So when you say you just have to get the patch can you clarify on how this would work exactly?

hi, just made some test with Ma2 onPc got same trouble with artnet protocol my network and all the setup is fine, but find a solution and switch to Sacn protocol all my fixtures and it works fine.Maybe a software bug for the artnet protocol active

Hi there, im looking to build a custom fixture … A single pixel LED panel with a perspex diffuser … i imagined using a rectangle light component todo this ?
Is there any good tuts for building and rigging custom fixtures currently?
Thanks!

I can’t seem to get ma2 to work, are there any resources you used to help you that you can share? :slight_smile:

Next week Dec. 10 on Twitch livestream. 2pm EST.

First of all THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this.

I’ve been messing around with it and it is awesome so far!
I have some limited experience with coding, mostly from my teenage years messing around with GNU/Linux.

I’m trying to make some Martin quantum profiles work amongst other things, I’ve grasped how to change certain attributes in the blueprints, so Im making child instances of the original and making my own from there.
The gobo seems easy, I have’nt looked into what math or node/logic i have to set up to do CMY colourmixing so i might ask on some tutorial/material to read up on in the future, but for now I’m having trouble understanding the effect parameters in the strobe component of the moving head: In the effect table there are parameters of EffectMin and EffectMax.
Could you explain what these are? and how they work in relation to the effect type?

HI All,

Another temporarily out of work lampy here. I’ve been prodding at the UE preview as they’ve been released and i get how the different pieces relate to one another, but always falling at what I assume is a pretty basic hurdle.

I can’t get a custom gobo wheel to work. I create the individual gobo images, the gobo disks, use the table in the example fixture as a template to build a table that will match the data sent form a desk. Assign them all in a copy of the default MH blueprint (not a child). But it doesn’t work properly, and the gobos are effectively split over two slots, and depending on I-don’t-Know-What the split will be anywhere across the gobo. Adjusting the size of the gobo images seems to have some effect, but even matching the default gobo sizes doesn’t seem to work. There seems to be some magic manipulation between the disk, the individual gobos and the table that isn’t evident to me. Attached a video of the phenomenon, with table in view. Anyone have any ideas, or am i just being really thick?

Also, since preview 7 (i think) If i try to change the Colour Disk assigned to any fixture, the editor just crashes outright. This is why the above uses a copy rather than a child, so i can remove the colour wheel and replace with colour (RGB).

I’d love to be able to create a set of fixtures that match real fixtures or as close as possible. I’m not asking for things like rotating shutters (although i’m sure there are people who could do that) but the basics of gobos, colour wheels, prisms etc…

I’m having the exact same problems as you.
Spent some time today making gobo images for a Quantum profile. Made individual images and the wheel image, adjusted the DataTable to correspond to the quantum profile. And it all seems misaligned, one or two gobos work. I have no why this happens either, i tried making sense of the BluePrint eventgraph but am at a loss…

Also have a crash when i mess with the colorwheel, replacing the table with my own colours and colorwheel image.

Hope someone can help!

Used it yesterday patching some 170 fixtures but allready after 34 fixtures patched it started crashing, its beta 0.1 so after every 2 fixtures i patch I save, Luckily the engine makes it easy to save en restarts fast, i also send crashreports everytime … Anyhow Im very impressed and it works very well

First of all, thank you for making this plugin! When I saw the announcement of the Featured Content page my heart skipped a little. I am really interested in the pixel mapping tools provided in the plugin; I’m trying to make some big custom LED walls, and a Unreal input changes the game in terms of possibilities. Since there is no real documentation for the pixel mapping portion yet, I tried to fix something myself, but to no avail.

I tried to add a DMXPixelMappingFixtureGroupComponent and Matrix component (via the add blueprint class) and then link them with the DMXLibrary within the blueprint menu, but then Unreal instantly crashes instantly with this error message:

Assertion failed: LibraryNameWidget.IsValid() File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Plugins/Experimental/DigitalMultiplex/DMXPixelMapping/Source/DMXPixelMappingRuntime/Private/Components/DMXPixelMappingFixtureGroupComponent.cpp] [Line: 49]

I don’t know if it’s a bug or that I am completely approaching it the wrong way, but this is as far as I got!
Would be great if somebody could share some insights.

Edit: Well, I did it completely wrong. Did not except that the 10 December livestream would also go into detail of the pixelmapping part of the plugin. So anyone who wants to use it, it is the best documentation of it so far! Got my first 100 LEDs over internet and a teensy 4.0 working. Unreal pixel mapped Christmas tree coming soon!

Vega Virtual Stage DMX TechnoBunker - YouTube](Vega Virtual Stage DMX TechnoBunker - YouTube)
Made a #virtualstage controlled vid dmx
Thanks a lo for this fantastic feature!!!

where can we get the project that has this light show setup in it? i love it so much.

Hi is there going to be in future updates the possiblity to update the dmx library at runtime or is it possible now
thank you

Be sure you set your MagicQ Universe, to visualiser ART/Sacn same PC, if you take another for example Capture the MagicQ becomes very slow, het everything works very fine and fast with correct settings

Does anyone know how to trigger a Niagara FX ( from Realistic Starter VFX Pack Niagara ) with DMX like there is a dimmer channel controlling the start and stop of the fx, Thank you very much I was able to find a solution myself, just took a copy of the Pyro BP en changed the Niagara fx to what I wanted, now everything working like i wished

Hi there,

Does anyone from the development team know if the GrandMA3 Viz-Key is something that may be supported in the future? It would be an enormous step toward Unreal being a go-to for pre-vis for professionals in the industry.

https://www.malighting.com/product/grandma3-viz-key-4023576/

Thank you for developing this plugin, exciting stuff!

I am thoroughly enjoying messing around with the DMX components and the tutorial is excellent. I have been able to sift through my issues and am now working on properly implementing DMX heads. I noticed that there is no prism function, so would this be more equivalent to number of beams, or something else? In addition, the moving head I was working with has a channel for gobo selection & shake, gobo wheel, and gobo spin. When I mapped these, I don’t think they worked correctly. Nor did mapping the colors work. I was testing the Elation Artiste Mondrian, which uses CMY, CTO, and RGB. In addition, I do not see a function for CTO adjustment (color temp).

Hi. I believe I have found a bug within UE4 DMX/Artnet setup. I am trying to get an ArtNet broadcast from Soundswitch (running on a macbook pro laptop) into UE4 running on a PC. I have successfully done this by using Soundswitch on the PC (same CPU as UE4.) The bug comes in here; I can actually get DMX data to show up within the UE4 project DMX monitor, from Soundswitch running on the MBP, and it follows DMX changes correctly, however when I press play the DMX data does not trigger the internal lights. If I use Soundswitch from the PC, data shows up correctly and lights work as well. Am I missing something here? Thanks. fairly new to UE so maybe I’m missing a setup feature within blueprints, etc.

hi,

i came across this plugin today, had to download Unreal right away!

But there are som questions in my mind:

*) Is there a way to get a second gobo wheel on a fixture?
*) Are prisms planned?

Thanks!
Stefan