Unity GDC demo - Adam - Part I

As opposed to the paid version of UE4?

There is only one version of UE4, and its the FREE version! and its the same version and features that AAA studios use.
UNITY Free is a cut down version of the paid version.

Unity5 free version is only for personal use, if you’re a studio or company, you have to buy professional version.

Exactly, that is why I wrote free the way I did. I am well aware UE4 has only one version. The post I quoted suggested that you would need the paid version, which is false.
The free version of Unity is, as you seem to think aswell, not a cut down version of the paid version. This all -wise obviously.
An individual person, generally, wont be able to achieve this in either engine regardless if paying or not.

Regardless of this or that plugin, I think its great Unity had a great demo…It might make Epic slightly scared and they will continue to push the envelop forward. Competition is a great thing even thought I’ll never move to Unity, it might make UE4 even better!

teak

You need pro only if you earn more than 100k/year, else you can go with personal even when running a business

Yes, competition is good. Cryengine is open source now. Unity is advancing. Maybe will also rethink about UWP and :wink:

The demo was made by a small team of developers with some part-time help from others. It is built with Unity 5.4 beta (available as an open beta). The image used are open source (https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/cinematic-image-) and some new real-time area light tech currently in R&D was also used (this will be presented as a technical paper at Siggraph 2016).

Part 2 of the demo was just shown at Unite Amsterdam and should be on youtube shortly. The team will publish the demo on the Unity asset store soon.

All Unity’s features are in the free Personal Edition.

Glad you guys admire the “other” engine’s work as much as we did in Unity Forums. :wink:

It’s vanilla 5.4 that’s freely available in beta (download here Unity Editor Beta Releases) using new open sourced image (download here https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technolo…-image-) and real time area lights (download here Unity Labs | Unity)

What? No lag. No crash. Running on only a single GTX 980.

The second part was unveiled yesterday and the source code was said to be released soon. Please at least try to be impartial and objective and do real research instead of trolling. There is no reason to bash competition for no reason other than being the “other” guy. Competition is always good.

Regarding the demo or movie I did not see it crashing or lagging at any point when I watched yesterday. It was very dark but comments said it was because stream. There were also comments saying it would be available at or after the Adam tech session at Unite.

MoHoe,
sitting in the same boat as you. You forgot a few things :

• Support Team doesn’t give a **** when reporting bugs.
  • No Terrain/Landscape LoD, for those on UE4 who don’t know - you basically have to create the landscape component system yourself - in C# Code or JavaScript if you are crazy.
  • Tree Billboards share a single 2048 texture. So having 8 different trees gives you an 256x256 Billboard texture of your tree - and you cannot change it. Well you can copy the same terrain into the same place to “fix” and use different trees on it - if you call that a fix. Report the in 2014, not fixed yet.
  • Physics are messy to setup in Unity.
  • The new U5 Shader takes the glossiness input and multiplies the value internally, altering the appearance of all your models.
  • Normalmap Green Channel needs to be flipped in the original texture files before importing to Unity unless you don’t give a ****.

I worked a very long time with Unity and released a game on Steam with it as well - transition to UE4 took me a while but never ever again i want to make a PC Game with Unity. And all those Unity DEVs trying to tell themself that the engine is even remotely close to UE4 just make me smile. You are right, stick with it please - less competition for me when someone works a less competitive tool. I mean, we have seen that so many times - “Look, Unity can do GFX now.” - sorry, but the Matinee Demo that was released in 2014 is has better GFX.

Or Infiltrator Demo from March 2013… Unreal Engine 4 - »Infiltrator« - Realtime Tech-Demo zur UE4 - YouTube

How would they edit out the crash? I watched the live stream.

There really is no smoke or mirrors with their past demos. I don’t know what you’re referring to. I appreciate you cross linking to my Unity Forums post, because it was very relevant in the discussion of whether the demo crashed, needs a super computer to run, or lagged. All of which has no proof or has already been disproven. There are problems with every engine, I have them with Unity and Unreal; what does that have anything to do with what we were talking about?

The crash occurred when he wanted to switch to Director/Sequencer to showcase that, a tool similar to Unreal’s Sequencer, albeit it’s a that is still somewhat alpha and is still being worked on. There has been a videoreleased where you can take a glimpse.

Have been told they are going to release the project assets and compiled builds once Unite is over, so that anyone can test it out themselves.

Much like Epic’s Kite Demo. That was the same thing. The kite demo even dipped to ~15fps in dense areas on GTX 980 and was widely appreciated, even in press, as only a demo and nothing that could be played by most gamers the next years.

I like both, UE4 and Unity. Each has their strengths.

Ah yep I skipped the parts where they showed it in editor but that’s not a big deal for alpha/beta editor. I watched the video itself without any other problems problems than the too dark screen. Hopefully we will see proper version soon.

1. The demo didn’t crash. The editor crashed while showing behind the scenes new features that are in alpha.

2. You linking my opinion of Unity from another Forum is irrelevant to our discussion and simply <removed>. You are basically doxxing.

3)Read @BlueBudgie 's post.

I don’t know why your set on trashing everything Unity does. It’s just stupid to continue to flame between the engines; competition is what drives innovation. They’re both great tools, use whatever works best for you.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say here?

I’m contradictory because I listed my complaints with Unity, but said it’s a great engine? This is not contradictory statement. You complained about the demo without any backing to your claims; I have backing and justification to my complaints I listed on the Unity Forums. Every program has it’s issues; doesn’t mean it’s not still great.

This is a ridiculous argument.

Please keep this on topic guys.

What someone said on another forum has nothing to do with the Unity GDC demo. If you want to discuss it further please do so in private messages.

Make sure you follow the forums code of conduct. I have edited out inflammatory remarks as they serve no purpose in this discussion.

I think everyone else here was talking about the demo as in the runtime video/movie of it. If editor with protype/alpha features (http://unity3d.com/pages/adam) crashes at later point after the actual video it’s hardly a major thing.