Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000

Hey Guys,

i wanted to start with UE5.1.0. After i tried to start it, it instantly chrashes.

It was from the first try, never was running.

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000

UnrealEditor_UdpMessaging
UnrealEditor_Messaging
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

System:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
16GB DDR4

I tried to reset the 3D Settings and to reinstall it. Both did not help. Before i make a mess, i wanted to ask for help!

Thank you guys.

1 Like

The error message “Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000” is indicating that the program is trying to access memory address 0x0000000000000000, which is not a valid memory address. This is likely caused by a problem with the Unreal Engine build or the dependencies on your system.

Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

• Try to run Unreal Engine as an administrator.
  • Make sure that your system is compatible with the version of Unreal Engine you are trying to run, this includes checking the necessary libraries and dependencies.
  • Make sure that your GPU drivers are up to date and compatible with Unreal Engine.
  • Try disabling any custom plugins or third-party modules that you may have added to the project, and see if the error still occurs.
  • Make sure that your GPU is compatible with the version of Unreal Engine you are trying to run.
  • Check if your system’s memory is sufficient for running Unreal Engine.
  • Try reinstalling the Unreal Engine build or building it from the source again.
4 Likes

Hey @DaDon089! Welcome to the Forums!

(Truncated to just additional steps as @EliasWick explained above)

I don’t see anything immediate from this, so there’s a few things to try here. First is to verify your install of 5.1.

If that does not work, you will need to add Editor symbols for debugging and try running again, then share what the new error message is.

EpicGamesLauncher_UuYe0YTvJq

EpicGamesLauncher_OSDBo4SGFV

Any additional specifics will go a long way in solving your problem!

3 Likes

Thank you for your awnser,

i tried most of the steps before i opend the thread.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me. I still get the same error.

I have no projects or anything else, because the programme has never run before.

Thanks anyway!

1 Like

Thank you!

I tried it with verify, but it did not helped.

I will try the Editor symbols for debugging and will tell you what it shows.

Best

2 Likes

I installed “Editor symbols for debugging” afterwards i got follwoing error message:

UnrealEditor_UdpMessaging!UE::UdpMessaging::Private::DoJoinMulticastGroup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Messaging\UdpMessaging\Source\UdpMessaging\Private\Transport\UdpMessageTransport.cpp:162]
UnrealEditor_UdpMessaging!UE::UdpMessaging::Private::JoinedToGroup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Messaging\UdpMessaging\Source\UdpMessaging\Private\Transport\UdpMessageTransport.cpp:184]
UnrealEditor_UdpMessaging!FUdpMessageTransport::StartTransport() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Messaging\UdpMessaging\Source\UdpMessaging\Private\Transport\UdpMessageTransport.cpp:244]
UnrealEditor_Messaging!FMessageBridge::Enable() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Messaging\Private\Bridge\MessageBridge.cpp:81]
UnrealEditor_UdpMessaging!FMessageBridgeBuilder::Build() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\MessagingCommon\Public\MessageBridgeBuilder.h:109]
UnrealEditor_UdpMessaging!FUdpMessagingModule::InitializeBridge() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Messaging\UdpMessaging\Source\UdpMessaging\Private\UdpMessagingModule.cpp:556]
UnrealEditor_UdpMessaging!FUdpMessagingModule::RestartServices() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Messaging\UdpMessaging\Source\UdpMessaging\Private\UdpMessagingModule.cpp:354]
UnrealEditor_UdpMessaging!FUdpMessagingModule::StartupModule() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Messaging\UdpMessaging\Source\UdpMessaging\Private\UdpMessagingModule.cpp:275]
UnrealEditor_Core!FModuleManager::LoadModuleWithFailureReason() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Modules\ModuleManager.cpp:617]
UnrealEditor_Projects!FModuleDescriptor::LoadModulesForPhase() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Projects\Private\ModuleDescriptor.cpp:696]
UnrealEditor_Projects!FPluginManager::TryLoadModulesForPlugin() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Projects\Private\PluginManager.cpp:2078]
UnrealEditor_Projects!FPluginManager::LoadModulesForEnabledPlugins() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Projects\Private\PluginManager.cpp:2154]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::LoadStartupModules() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:4179]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::PreInitPostStartupScreen() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:3521]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:154]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:107]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:244]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:282]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [D:\a_work\1\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

I appreciate your help! I dont know what this means.

Best

DaDon

Hey @DaDon089!

Here is another thread with an almost identical issue to yours with a possible solution. Give this one a try:

I hope the above is the solution you need!

1 Like

Hey Quetzalcodename,

This is what it looks like, the DefaultEngine.ini is not in there.
(I also checked the sub folders)

Yes I have made hidden files and folders visible.

The universe does not want me to be creative.
Maybe a higher power wants to protect us.

Best

DaDon

Hey DaDon,

I’m afraid I can’t help you either, I’m just as stupid as you are. Maybe someone else will get in touch.

Kind regards

DaDon

It’s fine that it doesn’t exist already, you can go ahead and create it.
In the 5.1 folder, create a Config folder, and there create a new text file and name it DefaultEngine.ini.

Then follow the rest of these workaround instructions for changing the UDP port.

This seems to be a bug on Unreal’s side. If I had to guess then maybe there’s some other application on your computer listening to that port and Unreal doesn’t handle that. Maybe it’s some other reason, but in any case, please report this to our bug submission form.

4 Likes

Thank you for your support. It worked!

I will submit a Bug Report later that day for sure!

I wanna say thank you to @Quetzalcodename, @EliasWick and you Ari_Epic !

You guys are amazing! You have helped me really well and without you this weekend would be very boring.

I wish you only the best!

Best

DaDon

3 Likes

I got the same problem with Unreal Engine 5.2 , I checked the folder and the files are there , do you have another solution that might work for me ?

1 Like

In my case, I was messing around with UDP sockets and intentionally connected to a port from a different app. Then tried to connect to that same port through UE5 and it threw the same exception.
So out of curiosity, I googled and found this post. As @Ari_Epic mentioned:

it adds up with my scenario.

So I suggest you do check for the same (if any other app is listening to the same port).
and you can find that from cmd:

netstat -ano | findstr <port_no>

it would give you the process id (i.e. 4932)

and you can kill it with

tskill <PID>

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey, have you found the solution? I have the same issue with 5.2 and I got a super powerful machine. it runs pathtracer in editor super smooth but crashes evetime I hit render

Hi, I had a similar problem, but I am working with C++ and I solved the problem by cheacking my SurvivalCharacter class:

if (SurvivalCharacter)
}

I downloaded the DLLs and paste them on \UE_5.2\Engine\Binaries\Win64\D3D12
d3d12SDKLayers
D3D12Core

and downloaded the defaultengine and past it on \UE_5.2\Engine\Config

over 6 months without work and finally working today. let me know if you need the files

2 Likes

where can i download dlls?

where can i download dll’s from ?

i have a similar issue with error code : Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000038
crash report (this happened when i created a new widget blueprint) :

UnrealEditor_SimplySettings!USimplyInputSettingsSaveGame::ApplySimplyInputSettings() [C:\Users\User\Desktop\export[SimplySettings] Unreal Engine 5.3\SimplySettings\HostProject\Plugins\SimplySettings\Source\SimplySettings\Private\SimplyInputSettingsSaveGame.cpp:163]
UnrealEditor_SimplySettings!USimplyConfigSettings::LoadSimplySettings() [C:\Users\User\Desktop\export[SimplySettings] Unreal Engine 5.3\SimplySettings\HostProject\Plugins\SimplySettings\Source\SimplySettings\Private\SimplyConfigSettings.cpp:41]
UnrealEditor_SimplySettings!USimplyConfigSettings::execLoadSimplySettings() [C:\Users\User\Desktop\export[SimplySettings] Unreal Engine 5.3\SimplySettings\HostProject\Plugins\SimplySettings\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UnrealEditor\Inc\SimplySettings\UHT\SimplyConfigSettings.gen.cpp:53]
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

plz help me to fix it…

Maybe yours project base on C++ and you create static pointers and you didnt create a function to reset this pointers to nullptr during runtime, when project is running.

When you run project from editor then during first run everything should be fine, but when you run again then in memory can be old references to something what not exist anymore.

1 Like