UE 5.3.1 crashes after a couple of minute in editor

Hey guys!

I was working on my level design for about 2-3 weeks. Suddenly from today UE started crashing all the time while I try to work in the editor. It works for about 3-5 minutes max and then crashes.

Sorry for lot’s of text.

First it was this:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

I tried solutions from the community from here and here, but nothing helped. Now it shows this:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

UnrealEditor_Core!FMemStackBase::GetByteCount() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Misc\MemStack.cpp:332]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FRDGBuilder::Execute() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderGraphBuilder.cpp:2027]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!RenderViewFamilies_RenderThread() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneRendering.cpp:4578]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamilies'::87’::<lambda_3>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneRendering.cpp:4848]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamilies'::87’::FDrawSceneCommandName,FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamilies'::87’::<lambda_3> >::DoTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Public\RenderingThread.h:209]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!TGraphTask<TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamilies'::87’::FDrawSceneCommandName,FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamilies'::87’::<lambda_3> > >::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:1265]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:758]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:649]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:411]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:537]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:149]

CRAZY! Now it shows this:

UnrealEditor_Renderer!UE::Tasks::Private::TExecutableTask<FGPUOcclusionParallelPacket::LaunchOcclusionCullTask'::2’::<lambda_1> >::operator new() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Tasks\TaskPrivate.h:744]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!UE::Tasks::Private::FTaskHandle::Launch<FGPUOcclusionParallelPacket::LaunchOcclusionCullTask'::2’::<lambda_1> >() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Tasks\Task.h:119]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!FGPUOcclusionParallelPacket::LaunchOcclusionCullTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneVisibility.cpp:2833]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!FGPUOcclusionParallel::AddPrimitives() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneVisibility.cpp:2893]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!FVisibilityViewPacket::FVisibilityViewPacket'::13’::<lambda_1>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneVisibility.cpp:3168]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!TCommandPipe::Process() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneVisibilityPrivate.h:161]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!UE::Core::Private::Function::TFunctionRefCaller<TCommandPipe<FPrimitiveRange>::Launch'::2’::<lambda_1>,void __cdecl(void)>::Call() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\Function.h:479]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!TGraphTask<TFunctionGraphTaskImpl<void __cdecl(void),0> >::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:1265]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FTask::Init<FTaskGraphCompatibilityImplementation::QueueTask’::5'::<lambda_1> >'::11’::<lambda_1>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\Task.h:499]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::TTaskDelegate<LowLevelTasks::FTask * __cdecl(bool),48>::TTaskDelegateImpl<LowLevelTasks::FTask::Init<FTaskGraphCompatibilityImplementation::QueueTask’::5'::<lambda_1> >'::11’::<lambda_1>,0>::CallAndMove() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\TaskDelegate.h:171]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FTask::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\Task.h:627]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:150]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::TryExecuteTaskFrom<LowLevelTasks::TLocalQueueRegistry<1024>::TLocalQueue,&LowLevelTasks::TLocalQueueRegistry<1024>::TLocalQueue::DequeueSteal,0>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:350]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::WorkerMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:385]
UnrealEditor_Core!UE::Core::Private::Function::TFunctionRefCaller<LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::CreateWorker'::2’::<lambda_1>,void __cdecl(void)>::Call() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\Function.h:480]
UnrealEditor_Core!FThreadImpl::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\Thread.cpp:69]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:149]

My sysetm:
DDR5
i7-13700K
rtx 4070ti
64gb

I’m stuck on it. Please help me figure it out.

I have the same errors and the engine crashes every 3-5 minutes.
It all started when I upgraded my processor, motherboard and RAM. Before that there were no such problems.
I have a 12900k, MSI MAG z690 and Adata 6400 2x32.
I saw in one of the threads that the problem could be in the E-Core.
I tried disabling them through task manager, but it didn’t help me.
Also saw that you need to update the BIOS
Anyway, this is a very strange problem and there is no answer yet. I hope they will fix it in the next version.

It is very likely this is a problem with your system, not with Unreal Engine, and as such, the next version of Unreal Engine can’t contain a “fix.”
Exactly what the problem is, is very hard to say – could be bad signal quality, bad memory or CPU clocking, bad (or mis-matched) drivers for CPU, chipset, or graphics card, bad BIOS, or a bunch of other things.

I’m afraid to get excited early yet, but it looks like the bios update solved my problem. I haven’t had any crashes for half an hour now.

1 Like

Have you ever had this crash again after update bios ?

Two PC have the same crash in our team, also the same crash stack, and 3~5 min once.

The PC settings:
LogCsvProfiler: Display: Metadata set : platform=“Windows”
LogCsvProfiler: Display: Metadata set : config=“Development”
LogCsvProfiler: Display: Metadata set : buildversion=“UE5-CL-0”
LogCsvProfiler: Display: Metadata set : engineversion=“5.3.2-0+UE5”
LogCsvProfiler: Display: Metadata set : os="Windows 10 (22H2) [10.0.19045.2846] "
LogCsvProfiler: Display: Metadata set : cpu=“GenuineIntel|12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-12700”

I had the same issues as you. I buyed a new laptop with the RTX4070.
Really frustrating if the editor crashes all ~5min.

I did a BIOS update which dont help.
Now its running stable, i disabled Virtual Textures, Hardware Raytracing and disabled the E-Cores in BIOS.

Maybe this helps to you.
In 5.4 i also had no crashes, but im not sure, because I ran 5.4 for about an hour.