Unexpected UVs on import

Imported an FBX file, and when giving a material to it, it appears rotated and scaled.
Also, when I open the static mesh editor, it appears as a cube, while it should have a card shape.
Did I import it the wrong way? It is an FBX scene, but probably it should be only a static mesh? I’m new to this, so I don’t know if this is an error or if something failed.

This is how it looks:

This is how it looks in the static mesh editor:

And this is how it should look like (generated with the modeling tool)
Modelo generado

1 Like

In this case, it’s probably better to just import the mesh as an FBX.

In fact, it’s just a plane, right? So all you actually need is the textures :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re right! I just don’t remember choosing to import all the scene, so didn’t know if it was a default thing or what. Also I saw that other people had the same problem, but was uncertain if it was for the same reason and that could force me to check in a lot of places. I’m new to this, thanks then, will try that!

1 Like

By default unreal creates a lightmap UV when importing FBX files under UV channel 0. It’s possible the material you’ve applied to the mesh is using this UV map rather than the one you were using in the modelling software. Try looking in the material and changing the UV index to 1.

Might not be needed if you are just going to apply the material to a plane but might be helpful for the future.

1 Like

Thanks, will try that! It would be great to understand why this happens, in addition to solving the problem.

Just for the record:

• Managed the UV texture directly in Blender
  • There was still an unwanted rotation when importing, but…
  • Importing directly to the level did it as the FBX scene, while doing it to the Content Browser did it as a Static Mesh, and that’s what was needed to be able to rotate the material.
  • Now the mesh is ok, but still would want to know what’s the preferred approach: making the UVs in Blender, or in UE, and why there was an unwanted rotation.
  • Changing the UV channel apparently wasn’t the solution in this case, as the texture still wasn’t right.