Unable to delete HoloLens 2 temporary files after building UE4 project to HoloLens 2 device

I have been building and deploying a UE4 project, which uses OpenCV libraries, to HoloLens 2 device through a direct link cable from my Windows PC. I have noticed that my HoloLens storage space is quickly filling up. When I go to Settings->Storage->Temporary Files, it says that I have around 15 GB of Temporary Files. When I try to delete the temporary files, the operation finishes and I get the standard message, “Finished cleanup. Some files are in use and cannot be removed at this time.” The problem is that the almost none of the temporary files are deleted because the listed temporary files size barely changes.

I have noticed that after each deployment to the HoloLens, the size of the temporary files increases. I have also tried to access and manually delete these files via the Windows Device Portal, File Explorer on my PC while it is connected, and the File Explorer in the HoloLens. I have not been able to find these files or even find directory with a similar size to the listed temporary files size.

The only temporary solution has been to completely reset my HoloLens device. Has anyone run into this problem before? Could it be related OpenCV?

2 Likes

I have noticed the same issue. Do you have found any solution? I don’t want to reset my device!

Have it as well - recently, I had to do a factory reset, because I had only 20 MB left. However, the issue does not seem to be limited to UE: In the MSFT forums, people using Unity reported similar problems. Unable to delete HoloLens 2 temporary files after building UE4 project to HoloLens 2 device. - Microsoft Q&A