Download

Unable to create a C++ Project in UE5 EA

So I’m trying to jump into the coding end of UE5 projects but I simply cannot get it to do so correctly.
I have VS2019, .NET 5.0, ASP.NET Core 3.1, and .NET Core 3.1 installed from Rama and other’s recommendations, but still no dice. All I can figure is that I somehow do not have the correct version of MSVC?

Here is the error I get whenever I try creating a C++ project from the launcher:

The project could not be compiled. Would you like to open it in Visual Studio?

Running D:/Epic Games/UE_5.0EA/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe Development Win64 -Project="E:/[Projects]/MyProject5/MyProject5.uproject" -TargetType=Editor -Progress -NoEngineChanges -NoHotReloadFromIDE
Win64 using Manual SDK 10.0.18362.0
Creating makefile for MyProject5Editor (no existing makefile)
@progress push 5%
Parsing headers for MyProject5Editor
  Running UnrealHeaderTool "E:\[Projects]\MyProject5\MyProject5.uproject" "E:\[Projects]\MyProject5\Intermediate\Build\Win64\MyProject5Editor\Development\MyProject5Editor.uhtmanifest" -LogCmds="loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error" -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors -abslog="C:\Users\killz\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log_UHT.txt" -installed
Reflection code generated for MyProject5Editor in 9.708888 seconds
@progress pop
Building MyProject5Editor...
Using Visual Studio 2019 14.24.28316 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.24.28314) and Windows 10.0.18362.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
[Adaptive Build] Excluded from MyProject5 unity file: MyProject5.cpp, MyProject5GameModeBase.cpp
Building 9 actions with 24 processes...
  @progress 'Compiling C++ source code...' 0%
  @progress 'Compiling C++ source code...' 11%
  [1/9] Default.rc2
  @progress 'Compiling C++ source code...' 22%
  [2/9] SharedPCH.Engine.ShadowErrors.cpp
  D:\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Traits/IsContiguousContainer.h(6): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'initializer_list': No such file or directory

And when in VS, this is what I get:

Build started...
1>------ Skipped Build: Project: UE5, Configuration: BuiltWithUnrealBuildTool Win64 ------
1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 
2>------ Build started: Project: MyProject5, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
2>'"D:\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\GetDotnetPath.bat"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
2>operable program or batch file.
2>Win64 using Manual SDK 10.0.18362.0
2>Building MyProject5Editor...
2>Using Visual Studio 2019 14.24.28316 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.24.28314) and Windows 10.0.18362.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
2>[Adaptive Build] Excluded from MyProject5 unity file: MyProject5.cpp, MyProject5GameModeBase.cpp
2>Building 8 actions with 24 processes...
2>  [1/8] SharedPCH.Engine.ShadowErrors.cpp
2>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\include\yvals_core.h(541): fatal error C1189: #error:  STL1001: Unexpected compiler version, expected MSVC 19.29 or newer.
2>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(45,5): error MSB3073: The command ""D:\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" MyProject5Editor Win64 Development -Project="E:\[Projects]\MyProject5\MyProject5.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 6.
2>Done building project "MyProject5.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========

“Unexpected compiler version, expected MSVC 19.29 or newer” ? Even after I updated everything made sure I had installed the correct modules?

Please help!

Still can’t get this project to initially compile. Any and all help appreciated!

You can try changing your VS installation with the VS installer, under the C++ section you can find the various MSVC versions, I just built successfully and my VS is using MSVC v142 x64/86, also make sure to have the profiling tools, Windows 10 SDK, and Unreal Engine Installer checked in the game development with C++ sections as well, hopefully this helps.

I am having the same exact issue.

Hi @Zharay
There is a known problem copied over UE4, basically, UE4, won’t build on vs2019 with having VS2017 installed.

I have converted UE5EA to work with VS2019 and eventually VS2022 Preview.
Another poster has bought this to my problem to my attention.
If you read the post Visual Studio 2022 Preview is 64 bit and compiles and runs UE 5.0 EA approximately 20% FASTER - Development Discussion / Unreal Engine 5 Early Access - Unreal Engine Forums

UE50EA creating templates will generate and executes a BP C++ template using VS2019 and eventually when tested by other developers, will upgrade to VS2022 Preview.

I am an indie developer so there is no timeline for implementing the VS2022 BP C++ version, just test the VS2019 version, which is a great improvement on UE4 2017

I have had progress with removing requirements for the VS2017/VS2015 to be installed.

I WILL NOT be backporting to UE4

I believe I once had this problem with UE4 when I still had VS2017 installed but I’ve long since gotten rid of it. Tried it again with VS2022 Preview 2 and still get the same results. I’ll be trying your branch out to see if I get anything out of it but honestly this feels like there is some reference to an older install that should’ve been removed properly.

I’d completely remove and reinstall visual studio if it wasn’t being used for work (deadlines)

Edit:
So I tried your VS2022 project changes and lo it does indeed compile and run! So you and my own assumption were correct. It’s still using older libraries to build UE5, despite there being newer libraries available.

Now we have a problem. Sure UE5 will be out by the time VS2022 is available, but its going to be “native” to VS2019. I hope you push your changes to the Engine devs so that it’s supported on their end as well!

Hi @Zharay ,
UPDATE
The good news is that VS2022 has just gone into the UE5-main repository see line 452 etc. UnrealEngine/VCEnvironment.cs at ue5-main · EpicGames/UnrealEngine (github.com). it is NOT in Early Access, there is talk that ue5-main is unstable. it would be good to load it and test it to see how it compares with my repository.
The bad news is that ue5-main. Won’t build without vs2019 installed and even when installed, will not correctly produce C++ projects for VS2022

Binding IntelliSense data… 100%
Writing project files…
WARNING: No Visual C++ installation was found. Please download and install Visual Studio 2019 with C++ components.
Writing project files… 96%
ERROR: Unable to find C++ toolchain for VisualStudio2019

GenerateProjectFiles ERROR: UnrealBuildTool was unable to generate project files.

Press any key to continue . . .