UMG Widgets referenced in Verse causes moderation flags and session crashes.

Reference ID

1591a8d9-4865-dea8-ded6-1b90196f5ba8

Please select what you are reporting on:

Verse

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

UI/Tools

Summary

UMG widgets are currently fully implementable in verse as of right now, however, there seems to be some form of moderation flag when trying to launch a session. This is confusing as there are no errors or warning when setting this up and would be great to get some clarity on whether this is a bug or an intended limitation.

Steps to Reproduce

Create a fresh project
Create a UI widget
Create a verse device

Thing:TestWidget= TestWidget{}

OnBegin<override>()<suspends>:void=
        if (Player:= GetPlayspace().GetPlayers()[0], PlayerUI:= GetPlayerUI[Player]): 
            NewUI:= CreateTestCanvas()
            PlayerUI.AddWidget(NewUI)

CreateTestCanvas():canvas=
        canvas:
            Slots:= array:
                canvas_slot:
                    Widget:= Thing

Test Game, Fail.

Expected Result

Game launches and the widget is successfully shown to the player

Observed Result

Crash to main menu, with no errors or warnings in the editor or runtime errors in the content service. A moderation button that informs you the project is violating Epic Guidelines. Content Service does show:
Moderation Status: FAILED_SOFT
Moderation Source: Moderation Error

Platform(s)

windows

Additional Notes

UMG widgets are currently fully implementable in verse as of right now, however, there seems to be some form of moderation flag when trying to launch a session. Testing this out I found they cause no errors in the code editor, show no errors in UEFN when building the verse code, and Iā€™m even able to launch a session with no warnings or errors at all.

However, joining the session causes it to crash and send the player back to the main menu with absolutely no useful information in the output log and no runtime errors in the content service. But whatā€™s more interesting is you get a nice yellow warning triangle at the top of the UEFN editor with a moderation tag. When you click on it, it shows a pop up saying that the project is violating the Epic content guidelines with a link to open the creator portal for more info. Clicking this link does nothing and just opens a blank tab in chromeā€¦ This is something Iā€™ve encountered before and honestly someone should really look into thatā€¦

Regardless, my only real ask is to get some clarity on whether or not this is a bug or an intended limitation as the posts made about them months ago were not really clear and the fact they can be implemented right now just seems a little odd. Either way, it would be great to find out what the status of this feature is and when it will be available for use.

The status of FORT-765821 incident has been moved from ā€˜Needs Triageā€™ to ā€˜Closedā€™. Resolution Reason: ā€˜Duplicate of FORT-748338ā€™

I also even deleted every single asset, including verse files, in my project and couldnā€™t remove the Moderation Warning flag and I think I lost that island because of this ā€œfeatureā€. Hope they fix this as soon as possible

I have the same problem, canā€™t create UI for my island.
In addition, same result when using texture_block.

Thank you for the detailed report. Weā€™re aware of this and checking into it.

FORT-748338 is the proper ticket.

1 Like