Ugly screen space reflections.

My screen space reflections are ugly as hell. No matter what project is it and what are its settings.
Here’s a screenshot of that:

with PP volume:

without it:

And this is just a basic 3rd person template. The material is just a simple opaque surface with black base color, 0 roughness and 0.9 specular.

Am I missing something or this is a bug?

My version is 4.5.1 binary release.

Hello, TimGS

There are a few ways to fix the issue you are seeing. The first reason this could be occurring is your “Engine Scalability Settings” are not as high as they need to be in order to see high quality reflections. To change these settings use the image below as a reference.

Engine Scalability Settings Location

The next suggestion I have would be to go into your “Global Post Process” details and scale your “Screen Space Reflections” that way. Also within the details you can set the Anti-aliasing method which will reduce the stair-stepping effect on the edges of meshes. Use the image below as reference as to where to change these settings as well.

Post Process Volume Settings

If after trying these solutions and you are still having problems with your reflections let me know, and I will try to give you some other suggestions.

Thanks,

Hey, Andrew,
Those were my first suggestions and I tried both but result is the same.

Looks like I got additional upside down reflection of my character. This video shows that: - YouTube

Hey again TimGS,

So after some tweaking and testing on my end there are some known issues and limitations with screen space reflections. The one you are pointing out where the character is being rendered upside down is a known issue and is being addressed.

Have a look at the UE4 Documentation about how Reflections work within the engine and how best to use them. Keep in mind the documentation specifically says not to use reflections on a flat surface because of how the reflections are being handled and rendered in real time.

Reflections Documentation:

Thank you,

ReflectionEnvironment reflections are very different to SSR (which is a post-process effect).