Uefy 2.0 (Pro Edition) make Blender's rigify rigs compatible with UE5, also has a FREE version

Hi Rakiz,

I bought the paid version of Uefy a few months ago, but after a blender reinstall I’ve lost the download and not sure how I can redownload… Any help appreciated! I think I have a bank statement with proof of purchase somewhere I can provide if necessary.

Let me know, and thanks for the helpful addon!

Please contact me via private message or email. This thread is for discussing features and technical issues.

Ah sorry about that! Okay will send a DM-- thank you!

Hello, thank you for your addon! I have been using it for about a week or two and it’s great.

I was wondering if you were planning to add support for the new and more modular rigify face rig available since blender 3.0? (now the face.super_face sample can get upgraded with a button above the ‘Re-generate rig’ one)

Yes that is planned for the next update, however don’t have a timeframe on it yet.

1 Like

Hi I’m pretty new to Blender and I’m trying to do Twinblast & maybe other character from Paragon. That character has a sh*t ton of bones & they’re all missed placed.

Was wondering if you could guide me a bit to where to go for this.
Doing a mix of this vid: AAA character rigged for animation in Unreal Engine 4 with Blender 2.8 and Uefy Script - YouTube & this: Rigging a character for Unreal Engine with Blender, Rigify and Uefy 2 - YouTube

Using Blender latest version 3.2 or something & Uefy 2.5. Thanks in advance!

Before you start rigging a paragon character it really helps to know how Uefy works and what the process is. You should really be comfortable rigging simpler characters before you start this.

Once you know the basics here are some things to consider:

Import:

The first problem is getting the paragon character into blender in a usable form. We need the bones to point towards each other from head to tail. Unfortunately blender import will often mess this up. We could try different import settings in blender but seldom get a perfect result. Luckily we only need a few key bones to be aligned correctly and can pretty much ignore the rest of the skeleton. These bones are main bones of the limbs i.e. clavicle, upper/lower arm/leg, hand/feet and fingers only. If necessary manually modify the import so these bones are correctly aligned. We can ignore all the twist bones, spine, head and accessories even if attached to the limbs.

Hide Unwanted bones:

There are a lot of bones in the skeleton that Uefy will automatically generate for you. For example all of the IK and twist bones. These are usually inflated and oversized upon import. Hide them so you can see the actual skeleton. These will be autobuilt so you can ignore them.

Simplify:

I typically use one skeleton to import multiple characters which allows for easy animation sharing among all of them without retargeting animation sets for everyone. Paragon characters are not built of this. They have unique weapon, clothing and accessory bones built right into the main character. After import I go on a deleting spree where I remove all weapons, jetpacks and standalone pieces; both mesh and associated bones.

These things can be reintegrated as separate objects if needed and it greatly simplifies the rigging process. You can see I removed a lot of bones in the older AAA character rigging tutorial for the previous version of the addon you linked above.

Rig as Usual:

If you take the above steps you will greatly simplify the process. After this it is just like rigging any other character.

Rigging Basics ==> How to use Uefy
Extra Bones ==> How to add extra bones for accessories
Some Rules ==> Some additional rules on adding extra bones

These three tutorials should be enough to help you rig most of the Paragon characters and get them successfully into Unreal Engine.

Thanks for the awesome reply :smiley: !

New Release Uefy v2.5.1

• Maintenance update to fix symmetry issue listed above

This is a free update. Use your existing emailed download link to get the latest file. If your download link is not working just send a reply to that email and I’ll sort it out.

Hello, thanks for the plugin it’s great so far! However I am having an issue with getting the IK-bones to retarget properly from the UE5 mannequin to the blender Manny89 mannequin.

I am trying to retarget the MF_Walk_Fwd (default ue5 mannequin animation). I have made sure to set all the IK-bones transform to be absolute and in the retargeter it all looks correct and the IK-bones are moving properly. However after retargeting, the ik-bones are not moving at all in the animation. The only thing that seem to happen is that they are rotating slightly.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this and how to solve it?

Thanks Rakis for the awesome tool!
I am having an issue that I can’t find anywhere on the net. Went through your tutorials to setup for mannequin in UE5, but it seems the weapon IKs are broken, specifically the weapon_r bone is rotated oddly and places the left hand IK behind the character. I’m going back through this and trying to figure out the best way to have the Weapon RTG correctly, but curious if you have any documentation on what to do with more complex skeletal systems, including weapon bones?

I’ve reviewed the IK bones exported by Uefy and they are working correctly. In the attached image I retargeted IK bones to a mannequin exported from Blender rigged with Rigify and it works as expected.

Some things to check:

• Open Skeleton for imported blender rigged character and make sure the IK bone retargeting is set to ‘Animation’
  • IKRig: Single bone chains for all IK bones.
  • IKRetargeter: Chain mapping for IK bones
  • IKRetargeter: I used rotation mode ‘Interpolated’ and translation mode ‘Absolute’ with 1.0 alpha for both on all IK chains

The above animation exported from the retargeter works too.

Now if your goal is to get a perfect match on the limbs from the IK that is not going to happen. The best you can hope for is a relative offset/rotation that you can reverse. For example you can fix this with control rig and sequencer. Then bake the updated IKs to your new character.

You need to make sure your source actually has IK bone animation tracks and they work correctly before attempting to retarget. For example the jump animation for manny has weird hand IK behavior that will also show up in any retarget.

Finally I’ve tested exporting animation made in Blender to UE5 and retargeting a marketplace anim pack to a blender rigged character. All of this works too.

This is very helpful thanks for your quick reply!
My source Skeleton (rigged in Blender with UEfy) has those IK bones set to Skeleton, and my RTG assets all are setup how you described. I think the issue is that they are not weighted to any vertices on the mesh? The IK bone icons are greyed out with a bone outline icon instead of a solid bone icon.
I’ve tried this multiple times using different Uefy presents (Manny 89 and Manny 161) and following the youtube tutorials. I’ve also tried importing versions that have all contributing rig layers turned on.
Is there a step I’m missing that would provide a SKM from Uefy/blender with contributing IK rigs, as seen in your example?
I really appreciate the help on this!

As I’ve mentioned previously in this thread I don’t use IK in my own projects. I find alternative methods to get the same results in code much easier.

I did not set IK in my tutorial because I never use them and IK setup is an advanced engine side topic anyway.

If you want to setup IK then you need additional settings on the Skeleton, IKRig and IKRetargeter.

• Set retargeting to ‘Animation’ in skeleton for the IK bones
  • Setup a single bone chain for each IK in the IKRig object
  • Match all IK chains with their corresponding chains in the IKRetargeter
  • Select each chain in IKRetargeter and set Translation and Rotation as required.

For example if you look at the image posted above you can see the IKRetargeter. I have the ik_foot_l chain selected. You can see the corresponding source chains and the Translation/Rotation settings in the details panel.

Lastly you never want to weight paint IK bones. They should be greyed out in the skeleton list, this is fine.

Hi, guys! I am new to this field, and I have some issues with animation. I followed Rakiz Farooq’s tutorial and did everything as instructed. I imported Manny from UE5 to Blender 3.1, rigged it with Uefy 2.5, animated it, exported it to UE5, retargeted it, and now something is wrong. I recorded the issue. Do any of you have any idea why the Queen’s animation is broken after the retargeting process?

1 Like

Hi all, could you please help me with a problem, I use the standard UEFY rig, created according to the instructions in the video. All the time there is some problem with my fingers, I have tried everything, I can’t solve the problem. Thanks for the answer!)

i have the same problem, did you figure it out.

Hi Waves, i bought the addon and i am a bit new to animations and skeletons i need your help and the community. i just don’t know what i did wrong or even if i did something wrong. i don’t know if i did it wrong in blender or unreal engine. here is my issue.

i followed the tutorial you have for: Easy rigging for UE5 Mannequins in Blender with Uefy 2.5
but instead i use my character instead of the mannequin. i separated the mesh from the ue5 skeleton and replace it with my character and moved around the ue5 skeleton to line up with my mesh. i am using UE 5.1 and i use the UE 5 with roll technique.
i exported the mesh and drop it in unreal engine and animations line up really good i mean feet, hands and fingers are super accurate. i tried many including adding my character to Lyra. but when in lyra i found out that when my character dies and plays the ragdoll physics my mesh deforms in the feet and hands.
so what i did i was looking into the ragdoll settings in physics because it automatically creates one when import character fbx. i notice that when the hands and feet of the character move away from the IK locations they get deform the further they get the more deform it gets. i tried using/copying the physics from manny, but the same thing happens. only in my character not manny. many drops good like ragdoll effect mine still deforms.

Screenshot 2023-07-27 192722
Screenshot 2023-07-27 192753
Screenshot 2023-07-27 192803

The “Easy rigging for UE5 Mannequins” tutorial is for rigging the unreal engine mannequins only. If you have a custom character you need to follow the video linked below:

As part of the rigging process shown in that video we fix bone rolls. This is not needed when rigging the mannequins. So I suspect this is the cause of your issues.

Otherwise it is likely a misconfiguration when setting up physics. Uefy has nothing to do with that process as it is completely inside the unreal editor. You’ll need to figure it out yourself if this is the case.

Thank for the reply Waves,
the reason i followed that other tutorial was because i couldn’t get pass the mesh and rig pairing with Armature Deform in the video you posted with the custom character girl, every time i would do that it wouldn’t pair. i notice you can move your mesh after pairing but mine i would not. so i decided to follow the other tutorial.

but i think i got it to work now. so what i did, like you mentioned in the video to save the blend file before doind the ue_roll option. well i have a saved file up to that point. i basically erased all my stuff and only left my mesh and skeleton that i had pulled from blender i believe its called manny 89 metarig something like that. then i followed the video from that point but before doing that i checked my IK bones and they had some weight paint. and i am guessing because i used the pair with automatic weights. so i just erased the weight paint from the IK bones in the mesh. followed your video and transfer to UE5 and now works like a charm. i tried animations in Lyra and others that are used in UE and everything match my worry was like the fingers not matching or shoulders things like that. but everything is on point. i tried the ragdoll and its great. i tried using the ragdoll from manny from UE5 and connects even better than the one that auto generates by importing the mesh from my character.

hopefully this helps someone. and thank you for the super fast support. that was a fast reply. thank you again. love the addon. its a bit tricky but i been using it barely for a couple of days.

i do have a question that i wanted to ask. its from the “Properties” section i have.
Character
UE mannequin
metarig
Rig

i didn’t know what to put and i just wing it and used
Armature
metarig
metarig
Armature

i don’t know if it matters and i don’t know if i would of used something different it would work but before everything was red.
Screenshot 2023-07-28 003024