UEFN Crashes when trying to check in changes after replacing the module inside

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Unreal Revision Control

Summary

I have four identical projects where the only difference are a few parameters to set the player limit for the gamemode. It’s the same game on all 4 projects, but there is a 4v4, 3v3, 2v2 and 1v1.

When I want to make big changes / updates to all games at the same time, I usually only do the changes for the 4v4 version and then I copy the “Plugins” folder from the 4v4 version and replace the “Plugins” folder of the other versions. I’m sure this methodology is known by you devs at Epic by now.

This methodology has worked fine for me 99% of the time, however today I did some changes to the 4v4 project, then copied the plugins folder over, and suddenly I were unable to check in the changes on the 3v3, 2v2 and 1v1 version.

The changes I did consisted of a big re-organization of my content drawer folders, meaning I renamed and moved a lot of folders around. When I was done, I made sure to “Fix redirectors”. These changes would check in to URC on the 4v4 version, but not on the other versions (after copying over the Plugins folder). Instead of checking in the changes, UEFN would simply crash with a Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000070.
(The changes also consisted of adding new content to the content drawer.)

Steps to Reproduce

This is not guaranteed to reproduce, as it was very hard for me to pinpoint what exactly caused it, but this is generally what I did:

Project A - “Main project, will be the the one which we copy the Plugins folder from”

• Has a lot of assets in folders in the content drawer

Project B - “The project where we replace it’s own Plugins folder with the one from Project A”

• Is the exact same state as A, but with a few parameters changed (player limit)
  1. In Project A, move around a lot of folders and rename some of them
  2. Fix redirectors on project A’s main content folder.
  3. Close UEFN
  4. Replace Project B’s Plugins folder with Project A’s.
  5. Open UEFN on Project B
  6. Try to check in changes on URC.
  7. maybe Observe a crash.

Expected Result

UEFN doesn’t crash, and changes are checked in.

Observed Result

UEFN crashes, and changes are NOT checked in.

Platform(s)

Windows 11

Island Code

3601-0453-5977

Additional Notes

Every time I do this “Plugins”-copy methodology, I completely delete the projects I will be replacing, then re-sync them from URC, then I delete the freshly synced Plugins folder and replace it with a copy of the 4v4 one.