UE5 + Windows 11 + Blue Screen of Death Crash

Hi everyone, I recently started using Unreal Engine 5 for game development and noticed that my computer was crashing with various Blue Screen error codes. I imagine there are/will be others who run into similar issues so I wanted to try and get this answer broadcasted specifically as it has appeared to correct that issue for me. I do believe it ended up being related to my Nvidia drivers.

Thanks RedeauxGames for the great reply.

Sorry if I am not using the correct category, or the forum in general, as intended!

2 Likes

To add my fix for this (but with Windows 10)

Task Manager - Services
Find ‘Gameinput Services’ Disable it and set it to turn on manually

I’m not sure if this removes some functionality for game controllers, but hasn’t caused any issues for working in the editor so far.

I was getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT constantly when loading a new project. Shaders would compile during first startup, but once the project launched and tried to finish compiling is when the crash happened…

What ended up fixing it for me was setting going into the ‘UE_5.1\Engine\Config’ folder and opening the ‘BaseEngine.ini’ file and editing the ‘NumUnusedShaderCompilingThreadsDuringGame=’ and ‘NumUnusedShaderCompilingThreads=’ options to a higher number. This placed less load on my CPU and resolved the crashing.

I have an 11900k overclocked (The issue was probably caused because of this) and didn’t want to disable my OC. This is an 8C/16T CPU so I set both values to 10 so only 6 max would be used towards shader compiling. The number to set here will vary based on your CPU.