UE5 - VirtualTextureAllocator crash when building lighting with GPULightmass

I am getting the following error in UE5 when trying to build lighting:
Ensure condition failed: Index <= 0x8000 [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\VT\VirtualTextureAllocator.cpp] [Line: 113]

This seems to happen when my scene is above a certain size. Unfortunately it’s only about 30% of what I was able to build in UE4.

Interestingly enough, this seems to happen even when I uncheck all the virtual texturing checkboxes in the project settings.

Any suggestions? This currently is the only thing holding my project back from transitioning to UE5.

Things I’ve tried so far:

Disabled texture streaming options in project settings:
Increased r.VT.PoolSizeScale

Crash still occurs in UE5-Main as of April 20. In fact, it’s worse. A scene I could build lighting for in 5.0 does not build in V5.1, with the same crash errors.

I upgraded to a 3090 and I am now able to build much larger levels, however I’m still getting the same crash when the level gets too large. When I had the crash task manager showed 16GB out of 24GB of VRAM being used.

Haven’t tried 5.1/ue5-main with the 3090, but I imagine if it’s like the results I was getting with my 3080, it will probably crash earlier than it is in 5.0, but I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt until 5.1 actually comes out.

Hello did you manage to find a solution ?

According to a thread on UDN the issue maybe related to the number of pages required. Unreal stores this as a 16bit number and is running out of space. Ideally it should be 32bit. Fix is to modify the source code… which is not ideal.

2 Likes

This sounds likely.

I’ve been relying on a lighting trick/workaround that allows me to use sublevels with built lighting, so I have not tried baking large levels recently.