UE5 Video Media player not working properly

Have the same issue. Electra is no longer working

1 Like

I can’t believe it’s been half a year and this problem hasn’t been resolved I still can’t play the media player and video

2 Likes

Can’t play my image sequence in Build. Tried everything but its still not working. Would be great to fix this bug …

This fixed it for me. Thanks!

worked for me too

Hey everyone.

So, I’ve ran into the same issue as everyone else (audio on Quest Packaged Build plays, but video gives white screen), and tried to follow the steps in this thread.

After enabling the Apple Plugin once, I now have the fantastic situation that my video still won’t play, but also any Media Player will crash on trying to load any video.

Can anyone tell me how to “undo” the Apple Plugin activation as far as possible / necessary? What do I have to delete to stop UE5 from crashing any time I try to open an MP4 in Media Player?

Thank you all so much for your help in advance,

Til

Hey ! I found this video : Unreal Engine 5 Video not playing on Media Player fix issue 1000% Working Trick Fix UE5 Media Videos - YouTube
He uses Electra Plug In
It worked 1000% for me (as he said)

1 Like

Don’t change DirectX 12 to 11 - this will break Lumen
Don’t enable Electra player - looks like for some it doesn’t fix white screen issue

Instead read this

Bink will make your videos smaller and it doesn’t need you to execute OpenSource node in blueprints - it just works

1 Like

Fixed it for me. I think this is the best solution so far.

This is currently the only option that actually works for me, unfortunately it does not work with the sequencer as Bink is it’s own thing.

Are the any updates 5.3 to the video problem?

I was having all kinds of random issues with video playback on the Oculus build and on UE 5. This stupid plugin fixed everything. Fantastic find!

Not the straight solution, but worked for me: create a variable for your Media Player in the Level Blueprint and tell it to open your source video file at Begin Play

2023 and I am fed up with this thing never working. I have tried apple, Electra, and native. UE 5.2 and 5.3. If Unreal Engine is never meant to have media then remove the capability, otherwise, it has been broken for far to long and people have had too many issues for this not have been fixed by now. This is crippling projects. How many people have to file tickets telling you it doesn’t work before something is done? Nonsense. Just my opinion.

I am at the pont where media plays in the player when I double click it using Electra player. But UE 5 decides randomly when it will and won’t play it. My system isn’t out of memory or anything. Too many tiles trying to load the player and it quits all together. This is especially broken with blueprints as open media with play on open ticked does absolutely nothing. I am at the point where I am figuring out how to redo the entire story telling excluding all media ever. SMH.

Edit: There are two media players. One stopped working after a few rounds. the second continues to work.

Edit 5 minutes later: Pressed pause by mistake, it froze on a random frame then suddenly started working again. What is going on here?

1 Like

I also have a problem.
I have tried to use WebM files, but In the Media PLayer, as soon as I double click it, to start playing, I am geting a editor crash.
Same when I launch the project, as soon as I play and it tries to open the Media Source, it crashes.
Ue 5.1, public ( latest version ).

How has this not been fixed yet???
Are you telling me we are just not supposed to have cutscenes or videos play in our games from now on? This is a critical part of a game that is completely broken in Unreal Engine 5 and has been for multiple years now. This is insane.

No. It’s still broken in 5.3.

I’ve finally made it work. Using a M1 Pro. I followed the following video and downloaded the assets in the video descriptions:
Make sure the Electra Plugin is turned on in Unreal engine.
After following the tutorial, my video would still not play 100% of the time, and what I realised was that the video file size was too large. I used an online video compression and reduced the size to 10 Mb. Don’t worry; the video will still have enough quality to look “good”. But after doing that now the video plays every time a play the scene. Hope this help if you are struggling to make it work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSvOayyvTo

Electra player is working for me. Both for in-game playback and for MRQ export.
Maybe you need to manually change video decoder to Electra (in media player)?
Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ztDowh7wI

if you have substrate materials enabled, that could also cause your media player to not work in editor mode