UE5.sln file missing

I followed the Insturctions given on GitHub but the .sln didnt got generated.

Hi @GambitFPS,
the file name path length is too long rename it to “UE50EA”. You are not allowed the total file length to be more than 24 characters, hence a six-character file name for the repository.

UE50EA> setup.bat
UE50EA> GenerateProjectFiles.bat -2019

Now there will be a UE5.sln
Right-click on UE5.sln Select open with Visual Studio 2019.

When Visual Studio 2019 has started, Select UE5.sln, Right Click Select “Set as Startup Project”.
Select UE5.sln, Right Click Select “Clean”
Select UE5.sln, Right Click Select “Build”

If you are building on an SSD it will take about 78 minutes. If you have a hard drive it is about 3 hours.
When finished Select from File → Debug → “Start with Debugging”

Remember that the first time, the 4900+ Shaders will need to compile. This takes 20 minutes.

Update
For a more detailed description follow the instructions in the post
Luoshuang’s GPULightmass Building UE5 using VS 2022

1 Like

That worked for me, thanks!

@GambitFPS and or @Jimbohalo10 . can either of you break this down a little more? im in a late begginer stage with a couple courses into c++ (from another site); so i understand the concepts of a project with functions and classes and what not. ive done making the harry potter sorting hat but still very rough. But im struggiling with following the answer to what Gambit had asked.
I’m currently attempting to follow the Begginers Intro to Ue5 and getting caught up around 15 minutes in when i need to fix someting .sln file that is not appearing when looking for it in my explorer. im lost on what Gambit is changeing here to make it generate.

For anyone who might need a more direct answer on this from an early beginner stage, you need to get the source code version of the engine through github, followed up with using Visual Studio Code. plenty of youtube videos on setting up github and VSC, then you should be able to work with UE5 'source code and follow the tutorial that I had hyperlinked in my previous reply “Begginers Intro to UE5”. If you come across issue google your way through it.

1 Like

@JustFluff I ran into the same issue but I don’t seem to understand what you mean.
Could you explain in more detail what you mean with ‘the source code version of the egine’, how to setup github and vsc (nor do I understand why that should be done). I hope you can explain it (maybe even add a hyperlink to a video or something like that).

Hi @IM_HP
I have updated the previous post with more details
UE5.sln file missing - Updated

Hey @IM_HP apologies on the late reply, i thought this thread had died. So remember I’m a beginner, i could be full of sh*t lol so here is a lot of info and im sorry if im wrong on some things. I will leave a Too Long Did Not Read at the bottom of this for others. GLHF -Fluffy

p.s - the video i hyper linked early on in this thread was a dud of a project, compatibility from it and ue5 was not good. Don’t waste your time.

• Source Code

ill tell ya what i know from the bits and pieces I understand so far. Source code: using a source code version of the engine enables you to work with the C++ side of ue5 along with the blueprints, you can also recover crashed versions of your project/game easier and use a debugger(vsc). From what I can tell having access to the C++ side of things is essential for setting up logic for multiplayer and complex math (if you are just learning like me you will find a lot of hard C++ logic is free and if you are around it enough you can pick it up). You can get source code version of UE5 (Unreal Real Engine 5) from Github.

• GitHub

From what i know Github is a hub for developers sharing code and other versions of open source code. Essentially the team at Unreal has an account for Github in which enables Unreal’s team to give us a download to the source code version of the engine. To do this I believe I had to make an account for github and link the accounts of unreal and github (google how to link them its not bad). From there i googled around how to download and install source code version of ue5 from the Github site, i stumbled to having to install github’s desktop application (easy google find and download) and downloading or cloning a repository (another name for version?) of ue5. After that download is where vsc comes in.

• DO NOT GOOGLE VSC

Dont google vsc, two or so programs exist that have the same abbreviation of vsc and im not sure how they all differ. What you do want is Visual Studio 2022 used to be known as visual studio community, so its easier to not google vsc. Go ahead and google the bold to get what you need. Visual Studio 2022 is essentially a free application made by Microsoft that allows you build, debug, and recover corrupted versions of your game/project.

• Epic Games/ Unreal Engine launcher

the typical way to getting started with unreal engine (ue5) is straight from their site. It makes you download the Epic Games Launcher and you can start working with blueprints and tons of free content right away (essentially prototyping/building worlds/enviroments, scenes, basic game mechanics). a lot of good YouTube content can get you through the blueprints and environment building videos.

• TLDR
    If you are just testing, building. and or developing a single player game use the Epic games version of the engine. If you want to potentially make a multiplayer game and have crash reports on what’s breaking and why (Visual Studio 2022 kind of tells you what’s broken}. Personally I’m using the source code version of the engine, because of the release of the lyra project (that is free in the epic games market place, ) and the use of the Microsoft free code debugger i have easier access to the c++ files for the multiplayer net logic with crash reports to build my game and idea’s off of. let me know if this helps anyone, again apologies if this bad information just sharing the knowledge i think i know.
2 Likes