UE5 Should not be used for mobile yet (?)

So, recently I discovered, that some new developers or even those who has a mobile project in development decided to update to UE5.

We also have a project that is released and have pretty huge amount of players every day. When UE5 was released, I started researching if we should also update. But what I found is not great news. Here are some reason why:

1. UE5 does not support 32 bit systems.
Because UE5 does not support 32 bit, it also does not compiling for Android Armv7. Yes, most modern devices has Arm64, but some of low-end devices do not. You may wonder, why would I support such old devices, that are not 64bit? But that is wrong question. It turns out, that some modern devices has 32-bit OS lock, even though they have Arm64 CPU.

Most of our popular devices does not support Arm64.

So 5-10% will not be supported by UE5. Wich is a lot.

2. UE5 does not support Open GL ES 3.1
UE 5 does support OGLES 3.2 though. But 3.2 does not supported by 22% of Android devices according to this page:

Please note, that those are related to Android only, but if you are making your project for both platforms, you can loose up to 20% of potential users. This is pretty large number.

Of course, if you are making AAA or AA project that targets high-end devices, than it may be fine for you.

I’m not saying that UE5 is bad or you should not use it for mobile, but from what I see, I would recommend to wait, until devices move a little bit forward in terms of hardware and software.

Maybe I wrong, maybe not. I would love to discuss it here, so every time I see “should I use UE5 for mobile”, I can simply send this link.

Do you have something to add?

8 Likes

This is a great post) but keep in mind one nuance) what is the graphics processor of these budget devices-(32 bit)? … and if you have a 3D game ? in budget devices there will be extremely low fps … respectively a bunch of negative reviews - accordingly you need to manually delete supported devices in the playmarket console…
For my game which in 3d is a great solution) although I’m use ue4 … for a simple 2d game it’s a loss of audience and a bad solution)

3 Likes

Great points.The only thing that kinda worries me is that the Dev’s say to move to ue5 as fast as possible bcz they are moving the source code away from ue4.So if I want to convert later it might not happen.What is your thoughts on that.

We have a 3D game, but do not get many reviews due to performance. We did not exclude any devices. We just optimized our game and now our bottleneck is CPU, not GPU.

Well, this is a good point, yes. But even if you need to update from 4.27 to UE5 you can have a lot things to change, so I if you skip couple of versions, you may end up with just some extra to fix and that’s it.

Of course it depends on project. Our mobile project has a lot of custom plugins, even editor ones, so we have to fix much more. But if you have third-party plugins wich are maintained by developers, or you have pretty simple project that just uses general unreal’s API, there won’t be many issues updating it.

1 Like

UE5 also need more powerful PC than UE4. I’ll just wait a year or two when it becomes as stable as UE4

1 Like

it has soo many problems packaging to mobile and plus the ads are not showing for me and nobody is helping…

I can help with ads. I know free plugin. Though I don’t know will it work on UE5

what are these plugins or can’t you see why the normal procedure is not working? if you can help that would be great

2 years ago I tried to use Unreal’s default node to show ads. But didn’t work. Then I just bought plugin and using it still. But I discovered free plugins after I bought the plugin. There’s several of them. Applovin MAX and Yodo1 MAS. I tried Yodo1 MAS. It works fine

1 Like

where can I find these? epic market?

Also Ironsource

No. It’s in github. Not official yet

1 Like

GitHub - NinevaStudios/yodo-mas-unreal: Unreal Engine 4 plugin for Yodo1 MAS (Managed Ad Services) integration. Used for ad monetization of games.

1 Like

and also do I need tutorial or is it simple plus if its 3rd party app can I use this on play console?

You have to register in their website. It would be great if you register with my referral link. I am one of the first ones who implemented their SDK. I can help you to integrate it. Saving you days of your time. Here’s the link MAS

buddy sorry I did register as soon as you mentioned it… if clicking this link would help you? I did click on this link… I feel bad because you are helping me I wanna do this favour for you too… and plus how would I with draw the money?

Are you from Pakistan

No, I’m not

Man can I use YODO for ue5?