Ue5 Save Game not working in android 13 sdk 33

Hi save game on ue5 not working on android 13 and above. I tried every possible solution but nothing seems to work. I even modified SaveGameSystem.h header file.
Also asked all permissions-

• android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
  • android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
  • android.permission.READ_MEDIA_*

This is how my game instance look like-

This works upto android 12 device but from 13 not working anymore. Any solution? Please help.

2 Likes

Did you find any solution bro?

1 Like

it’s most likely a problem with SDK, make sure to have all SDK’s from your min to your target SDK, also make sure to use required NDK.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat!

1 Like

do you guys find any solution to this? like my apk is working fine with android 12 but it is showing" permission not granted" and quit…?

1 Like

GreeyaJini, It’s due to the default WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission. To change it in the manifest, as you cannot directly edit it, you need to do it via UPL (Unreal Plugin Language). You can follow the instructions in this thread: Permission requiired you must approve this premission in app settings:storage - #21 by zerg_queen

Take note of YD Visual’s response in the thread.

2 Likes

Starting from Android 13, the default external storage won’t work. However, it allows scoped storage, enabling you to save game files within the data folder of the game without requiring any additional permissions. Please note that the Play Store will also reject apps targeting Android versions below 13, so updating is advisable.

I’ve faced a similar situation where the save game code is embedded within the engine code, making it impossible to directly modify the code to change the save path. The only solution I found was to update the engine to UE5.3, which saves the files inside scoped storage. I’m not certain if this solution is suitable for your situation, but it worked for me.

Someone suggested editing the path of the saved game with cloned version, but I have the launcher version so couldn’t try out.

5 Likes

ok i’ll switch to UE5.3 for my next projects… thank you so much

2 Likes

thank you so much for your reference and it works fine for me … thank you so much again

2 Likes

So what you are saying is that With UE 4.27, making Save Data work for Android 13 is impossible without editing the Engine Source?

Isn’t there any other way around this?

Unfortunately I didn’t find any solution anywhere. I’ve gone through the engine codes to figure out how saves game file works and it’s went way over my head. I had no choice but to upgrade the Engine version itself. I tried 5.0,5.1,5.2 and 5.3 was the one which I could use save game as before.