UE5 Oculus Quest 2 launching app in shipping build loads forever

Hi guys, I have a problem with running apps for Oculus Quest 2 in UE 5.1+ (have not tested in 5.0). Everything works fine in 4.27.

In UE 5.1 and 5.2, launching any app in shipping build causes the app to be stuck at the loading screen forever (three white dots). It crashes after a while (not responding). However, it works perfectly fine in development build. I tried launching the default VR template, same results.

My Android SDK settings:

AndroidSDK

MinTargetSDK

OpenGL ES3.2 is disabled, only Vulkan is enabled. I also checked “Start in VR”.

Tried with deprecated Oculus VR Plugin on and off, also tried with MetaXR plugin, but sadly the problem still persists.

If you have any tips, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Try using Minimum and Target SDK 32, it is what Quest 2 use now. Dont forget to install the SDK 32 in your Android Studio.

I have the same problem, with 5.2.1. Development build works, while shipping stays forever on the three dots. Here is my configuration:

Moreover, development build only works when running from editor. If I make a development package and install it on the Quest, it shows just the three dots again.

Setting bPackageDataInsideApk=True the shipping package runs properly. However this is not a fix if the project is larger than 1 GB since AppLab does not accept apks that big.

You should set the ndk api level to android-32 .

Anybody have any clues as to why shipping builds won’t launch on meta quest? It was working this morning and randomly stopped working, I have sat here all day long and still shipping builds are a blank black screen. I have no idea why, what, how it randomly stopped working. It’s been fine for the past month and literally worked this morning. Trying to launch from older versions of the game that worked don’t work anymore either.

I got it working. Not sure what the problem was. All I know is I uninstalled the game from one of my test user accounts and re-installed the version that is currently live on app lab. All subsequent installs (including new builds) have been working ever since. I changed nothing in Unreal.

As a takeaway, I am now waiting at least 15 minutes after installing new builds before trying to launch them. I don’t know if that caused a problem but (I think) the meta quest dashboard is saying builds are done uploading and ready to install before they really are.