UE5 LOD bug on skeletal mesh

Hello. LOD does not work properly on the skeletal-mesh object. In the preview, he works out as expected, but it’s worth creating a character and installing skeletalmesh for him, as soon as the LOD system breaks down and does not change anymore. This is a bug of version 5.0. I was hoping that it would be fixed in version 5.1, but this did not happen. I did exactly all my actions in version 4.27 and everything works as it should. Does anyone know how to get around this bug? The LOD system is one of the most important in the game and I can’t do without it. Where is Epic Games looking?

here is a preview of skeletal mesh

and here is a preview of character. As you can see, LOD0 is simply ignored, and even when I installed 3-4 LODs, it still did not replace the model depending on the distance. It always points to only 1 of the LODs.

Hi fedco.dev,

A few more details could be handy - is the mesh one you’re importing from modelling software?

Does it have the LODs built from the software or are you creating them in UE5?

A couple of things you could try:
Have you tried just having LOD0 and no others?
Have you tried Migrating the 4.27 version that worked into your 5.1 project?

I tried to do LOD automatically in UE5 and tried to import LOD together with the mesh from Blender. The result is always the same. I didn’t quite understand the LOD0 question. No, I haven’t tried importing from UE4 to UE5. Even if it works, it’s stupid to create a character in UE4 every time and transfer it to UE5.

It is sounding like a bug in UE5.1 but more information would be helpful for Epic and others to view.

If it works OK in 5.1 without any LODs (in other words, just LOD0) it shows your skeletal mesh is working ok and it must be the LODs.

If it works ok from a Migrated 4.27 project, it shows it’s the creation/importing of the LODs that is the problem.

Just an offchance, they do seem ok, but I’m assuming all the ScreenSizes are correct for the LODs? LOD0 has a SizeSize of 1.0 and the others are smaller - say less that 0.5?

1 Like

I just came across this (or very similar) issue when engine was always pointing to LOD1. No matter what I did just coundn’t get it to LOD0 at viewport… However other LODs (2,3,4,…) worked ok. Also LOD0 worked only if for mesh was only the LOD0 defined.
Well, it turned out that the “Settings | Engine scalability settings” were set to Medium (tested my level at lower settings and forgot…)! It seems that LOD0 is turned on only if “View Distance” is at High, Epic or Cinematic setting.

4 Likes

Left → Static Mesh / Right → Skeletal Mesh

I’m experiencing the same issue in UE 5.3 as well. It appears to be a bug where, in the viewport, everything appears as expected. However, when I place the mesh in the level or view it through Blueprint, it consistently loads LOD1.

The skeletal mesh was converted using a new feature in UE 5.3. However, this doesn’t appear to be an issue, as when I inspect it in the viewport, everything appears to be normal.

This problem seems to only arise when the “View Distance” settings in the “Engine Scalability Setting” are set to medium or low. It appears that configuring it to Far+ resolves the issue.