UE5 IK Retargeter "Current Retarget Pose" - Import Pose Asset

Hi All,

The A-Pose of the UE5 Manny is slightly different to the A-Pose my custom character has. No problem, I have a Pose Asset for my custom character for that case. But how do I import this pose into the IK Retargeter?

If I have to manually pose the character again, are there any numerical values that I can just copy & paste from my pose asset? I can just see the gizmo, but not the usual bone transform info panel

Any help appreciated!

1 Like

Hi! I think I’m having the same problem… When I import Mixamo data into my MetaHuman body, the mocap animation is all messed up, way different than the captured one… So maybe I need to have the MetaHuman posed just like the “RTG_UE4Manny_UE5Manny” dummy?

I’ve changed all the translation retargeting to “Skeleton” type, just keeping root and pelvis as “Animation” type… Please, anyone could help me on how to fix this, so I have the same movements my Mixamo data has?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @Heigl_KFP!

While not perfect when it comes to numerical adjustments, here is a great non-Epic affiliated rundown of a nondestructive workflow that is easily manageable for IK Rig Retargeting that takes advantage of the additional base poses that can be created:

I hope the above helps point you in the right direction!

Hi Quetzalcodename,

thanks for the video, but this is exactly what I do not want to do. It means that for every RTG asset, I have to adjust the pose of the target character to match the non-standard A-Pose of the mannequin (or any other source skeleton)

I already have all numerical values for the transition to the A pose (bone translation and rotation) and changing it with a Python script wouldn’t be a big deal, but I don’t have that option, I have to manually rotate the gizmo to get the numerical value I already know. This means I have to manually adjust up to 6 numerical values for nearly each individual bone taking forever and that for every different skeleton…

If I export the RTG asset as a .COPY file, it contains the name of all poses as well as a “Rotation Offset” line showing all bones and their new rotation in a list view. I could edit this easily, but I can’t import the .COPY file again into UE5

Isn’t there a way to manually edit (either in Visual Studio or a Text Editor) the current .uasset? Or can I somehow expose the numerical values that seem to exist into BP based off the source code? I found a corresponding “UStruct” in the “Struct Viewer”, but I don’t know how to turn my particular uasset into code to make manual changes to it

I think I might just go back to UE4 for retargeting animations and export them to my UE5 project…

this feature as well as the “Retarget Pose” doesn’t seem to be affected by the new IK Retargeting System anymore. Instead, Epic seems to have tried to combine all these different, spread-all-over-the-place settings into the new IK system

Thanks for this video. This is exactly what I need to do.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t work for me for some reason. When I go into Edit Pose I can’t change any of the transforms:

edit-pose-doesn't-work

Any idea of how to fix this? Is the pose being overridden by an IK constraint?

Ok, I figured it out. You have to upgrade to 5.1. I should have followed the link from @Heigl_KFP.

1 Like