UE5 GPU Lightmass Improvements?

Hi All, I noticed that UE5 seems to be utilizing an outdated build of GPU Lightmass, and there’s no mention of it on the roadmap. Is it being phased out? I was hoping to see a new build that overcame the 256 light count limit, as well as performance/quality improvements.

Seriously doubt it, if anything it’s the successor to CPU Lightmass.

For whatever it is worth, the light limit doesn’t seem to exist in 4.27 so I assume it will be corrected in UE5 by the time it releases.

I cant believe they would ever drop it. For lots of projects you still need baked light (mobile / VR for instance). At the moment, in UE5.0 p1 and p2, Epic’s GPU lightmass is broken. See my posts at the end of this topic Epic's GPUlightmass - #265 by maxbrown

Ah, good to know. Yeah, I noticed it was broken in p1 & p2, which is what raised my concern. I’m doing VR dev, so I definitely need it over Lumen.

Regarding the light count limit, I was thinking it was still an issue since I had some lights that stopped contributing to lightmass, or were doing so in strange ways, but good to know I should probably investigate elsewhere for something else that’s causing the problems.

I can confirm that the 256 light limitation was actually lifted in 4.27, but this change was inadvertently left out of the release notes.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming!