UE5 gpu crashed or d3d device removed

I have a question that I need help on. So when I was creating to build an forest landscape, I started to add some paint foliage to paint some grass clumps from megascans that I used. And everytime when I add the grass nanite foliage, I start to get d3d device removed error crashes so many times using the megascans grass plants. Even when I enabled nanite to fix the problem. But it’s still not working. Is there anyway that I can fix this issue to prevent having the grass nanite foliage not to crash everytime when I use it on the 5.1.1 editor?

Hello, I posted here about a month ago and the problem is just getting ridiculous.

I tried using DirectX 11, and I tried Vulkan. Both are also giving me very frequent error messages to say that a device has been lost.

Here’s an example of the message I get with Vulkan:
Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\VulkanRHI\Private\VulkanUtil.cpp] [Line: 931] Result failed, VkResult=-4 at D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\VulkanRHI\Private\VulkanMemory.cpp:4607 with error VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST

Here’s an example of the message I get with dx11:
Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 180] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - ‘REMOVED’)

This wasn’t happening 6 weeks ago, the problem just started one day about a month ago, I temporarily “fixed” it by changing to dx11. Then the problem came back. I tried Vulkan - same problem.

EDIT:
I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, fewer crashes so far, but I just got the same error using Vulkan

Same Problems here. I have a RTX 3070ti and Win 11 :frowning:

I’m having the same issue - Win10 and RTX 3090

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers]
"TdrLevel"=dword:00000003
"TdrDelay"=dword:0000003c
"TdrDdiDelay"=dword:0000003c
"TdrLimitCount"=dword:0000000a

tested from 4.23 to 5.2 Unreal engine version

Try this Tdr Values. I found them work well for my setup. It fixed for my Windows 11 and RTX 3080 Ti
Now i have no any crashes\bsod (about 1,5 Months) no matter how much memory i use, what i am rendering and no matter RHI or raytracing, also no matter what unreal engine version i am using. Games also was fixed, because i had bsods while playing games with ray tracing

You also may look at this option. So the main idea is that if Tdr changes even disabling tdr watch is not helping so the problem is not in you GPU

TdrLevel

Specifies the initial level of recovery.

registryCopy

KeyPath   : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
KeyValue  : TdrLevel
ValueType : REG_DWORD
ValueData : TdrLevelXxx (see the following table)

Where TdrLevelXxx can be one of the following values:

Value Meaning
TdrLevelOff (0) Detection disabled
TdrLevelBugcheck (1) Bug check on detected timeout; for example, no recovery.
TdrLevelRecoverVGA (2) Recover to VGA (not implemented).
TdrLevelRecover (3) Recover on timeout. This is the default value.
1 Like

Does this really work? Because I have a rtx 3060ti with 8gb and 16gb ram. And I kept having some crashes coming back to me again now. And some people kept saying it’s my hardware, and gpu memory usage to not reach to 90 memory. Even when I don’t have any other applications open, expected only between blender and unreal engine 5.1.1 editor. And I’ve been trying everything to stop having the editor crashing while I’m even in great 60fps performance

I can’t guarantee that adjusting TDR settings will work for everyone, but it could help address GPU freezes and hangs. Microsoft designed the TDR feature to handle common graphics stability issues, such as when a computer appears to be frozen while it’s actually processing a command or operation.

Microsoft uses TDR to crash the computer intentionally to avoid freezing, which is generally acceptable unless you’re heavily modding a game or working on a complex project. The documentation on TDR settings confirms this:

TdrLimitTime specifies the default time window within which a certain number of TDRs (determined by the TdrLimitCount key) are allowed without crashing the computer.

In my experience, when I opened Unreal Engine with a complex scene featuring Global Illumination (using Ray Tracing but not Lumen), my PC would freeze for a while and then crash. I dealt with this issue for about two years before finding a solution.

But i have bsods and other crahses not only with raytracing enabled. It was not depended on configuration, of OS version. It just was more often with RT enabled.

I had all the crahses, errors and bsods that you can find entire internet by search request: “unreal engine ray tracing crash”. Increasing the TDR Time Limit significantly isn’t a viable option, as you’d never wait more than 5-10 seconds on an RTX 3080 Ti. Instead, you need to adjust other TDR values to give the GPU enough time to finish its operations before a crash occurs. I recommend not disabling TDR entirely, as it allows Windows to crash gracefully rather than leaving your PC completely frozen, forcing a reboot.

If you have 8 GB Ram only i reccomend you to add 32 GB+ Swap file. Use manual swap values instead of automatically, because unreal engine will crash if it find not enough ram memory. I have 32 GB RAM + 64 GB swap file.

Where do I find swap file? Or is it that your saying I need to buy another graphics card?. Because if you’re saying that way, then just forget it. I’m just not gonna use unreal engine anymore :unamused::pensive:

Oh, sorry you meant VRAM. We cant swap VRAM.
No dony need buy another GPU, i have 12 GB VRAM in RTX3080TI and when use more VRAM than have - i had a warning message in unreal engine, but i dont have any crash.

As i mentioned before if tdr valuses does not help, maybe you have a problem with other hardware. For example check you Hard Drives or RAM memory sticks. Seems all that stuff really depends on memory

About swap i meant this DDR RAM swap file:

Will on my hardware processor, I have 11th Gen Intel(R) Core ™ i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz. And for Installed Ram I have 16.0GB (15.9 GB usable). And the System type is 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. Is that good enough hardware to use unreal engine 5?. Because I just gotten this gaming pc from last year. And it felt like nothings wrong with my hardware at all on the rtx 3060ti

Yes its enough to use it. You may not use Epic or Cinematic Settings in editor and you will be fine. Only i can reccomend to have not less than 32 GB Ram

so particularly, I can’t do realism at all on the editor then?

Well you can, why not?
The Unreal Engine 5 editor is not a fully optimized environment for gameplay and may consume a lot of resources, such as CPU time and RAM. As a result, while working in the editor, you may experience low performance despite having a powerful graphics card.

For example in my game i have only about 60 FPS here in editor

But in optmized working build i have about 220 Frames per second

There are many dependencies to answer yes or no))

Hm, I see. But also, when I was in epic scalability setting mode. I was just fine so far. No crashes didn’t appeared much when 5.1 had came out from last time. Until now. And also, when I’m in epic mode, I was also in about 60fps. No performance problems. And I though editing the scalability to some stuff on high and medium would work. But it didn’t. So I don’t what else to do. And it feels like I should just give up, and uninstall unreal engine 5. Because I mean, there’s no other way fixing this issue, but just buying a whole another processor for no reason :pensive::persevere:. And this is just stress and depressing me out of this

So, changing the TDR values didn’t help you?(

will I did change the tdr values that I saw from your solution. But I’m too afraid to try again to go on the editor to see if it works

haha, dont forget to reboot pc before try)
I lived with that all s**it about 2 years)) so you may not understand my heppines thay i have no crashes about month or something :smiley:

Will ok then. I’ll try and see if it works

1 Like

Please let me know, I’m very interested to see if this helps. It would be great, because a very large community has this issue, and I may have found a solution.

1 Like