UE5 gpu crashed or d3d device removed

@Joshuab_artist I had the same issue. I updated to Windows 11 and then UE5 kept crashing my 3090. I tried everything I could find in the forum. Edits to registry, uninstall afterburner, added UnrealEditer.exe to RivaTuner, switched to studio version of Nvidia’s drivers, changes to Nvidia Control Panel, and updated Nvidia’s latest driver that mentioned performance fixes for the UE5 editor.

Nothing worked, so I edited the c++ files that @TarlRaney mentioned in the third post in this thread. I had to “cherry pick” some lines of code from the files as just copying the full files from GitHub caused build errors in Visual Studio.

Here is a link to the files that I use. They are from 5.03 release branch with the added lines of code. If you are using the source files and compile the engine, this should fix it. It may still be a workaround, but I have had zero crashes since I changed these lines of code.

Credit goes to @TarlRaney for providing the links and dyanikoglu for creating the fixes on GitHub.

Just extract the zip into the root folder of the engine, overwriting the files that are there and then compile (there are 5 files in the zip).

UE5.03_D3D_Hung_fix.zip (98.2 KB)

3 Likes