UE5 crashes instantly on bootup

I was messing around with dx12, because for some reason it was set to dx11 prior. I restarted my launcher to enable dx12, and my entire games lighting was super messed up, with many, many strange flashes and and speckled of light. Anyways, as I was trying to fix it, I have no clue what I did but it crashed, and It has been crashing the moment it loads every single time I try to load the project. This is the crash report:

Assertion failed: (OldPacked & DeletingBit) == 0 [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHIResources.h] [Line: 178] Resource is being deleted.

UnrealEditor_Renderer!FRHIResource::FAtomicFlags::AddRef() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHIResources.h:178]

UnrealEditor_Renderer!FMeshDrawShaderBindings::SetShaderBindings<FRHICommandList,FRHIPixelShader *>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\MeshPassProcessor.cpp:261]

UnrealEditor_Renderer!FMeshDrawShaderBindings::SetOnCommandList() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\MeshPassProcessor.cpp:1154]

UnrealEditor_Renderer!FMeshDrawCommand::SubmitDrawBegin() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\MeshPassProcessor.cpp:1416]

UnrealEditor_Renderer!FMeshDrawCommand::SubmitDraw() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\MeshPassProcessor.cpp:1578]

UnrealEditor_Renderer!FInstanceCullingContext::SubmitDrawCommands() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\InstanceCulling\InstanceCullingContext.cpp:1360]

UnrealEditor_Renderer!TGraphTask::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:1348]

UnrealEditor_Core!<lambda_13c427d0bfcf321a066cb5a2badfbc27>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:2051]

UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::TTaskDelegate<LowLevelTasks::FTask * __cdecl(bool),48>::TTaskDelegateImpl<<lambda_17c904c32264d0348d15245fba0e1bff>,0>::CallAndMove() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\TaskDelegate.h:171]

UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FTask::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\Task.h:656]

UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:162]

UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::TryExecuteTaskFrom<&LowLevelTasks::TLocalQueueRegistry<1024>::TLocalQueue::DequeueGlobal,0>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:361]

UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::WorkerMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:402]

UnrealEditor_Core!UE::Core::Private::Function::TFunctionRefCaller<<lambda_0a548c7e497de3cc77a9e48080e1524f>,void __cdecl(void)>::Call() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\Function.h:475]

UnrealEditor_Core!FThreadImpl::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\Thread.cpp:67]

UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:149]

Hey there @AssumingTaxes! Welcome to the community! A couple of questions to get started in narrowing down the issue a bit.

May we know which version you’re on?

May we have your specs?

Are you using DX12 with Shader model 6?

Could we see the visual artifacts?

I have a couple of threads where I go through various graphics issues with users primarily occurring in DX12, but usually associated with different crashes. So far about 80% of the time it’s an environmental issue, graphical drivers specifically. Links to two treads like that below:

The error basically suggests that a resource is being deleted, but is still in use. This can happen if you have objects that are referencing the resource, but the resource is deleted before those objects are destroyed. It is possible that your issue is related to the changes you made to switch from DX11 to DX12.

One thing you can try is to delete the derived data cache for your project. This will force the engine to recompile shaders and recreate some other assets that may have become corrupted.

If deleting the derived data cache does not work, you can try opening your project with a different version of the engine, or even a different computer to see if the issue persists. If it does, you may need to dig deeper into the crash logs to figure out the root cause.

2 Likes

Hi @AssumingTaxes, were you able to resolve these issues? My UE5.1 also crashes whenever I run the game. I don’t see any noticable difference in the game the way you do (with the lighting), but I get the exact same crash report.
Were you able to find a solution to this problem?

Hello there I got this problem
Assertion failed: (OldPacked & DeletingBit) == 0 [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHIResources.h] [Line: 178] Resource is being deleted.

and I fixed it the solution was as follow
1 open the project folder
2 Open the “Saved” folder
3 Open the “Config” folder
4 then Delete the “WindowsEditor” folder

I got this erro after I tried to enable Raytracing on VR project not sure which setting exactly made the engine go like that my guess is Shadow Raytracing and In view portRaytracing I have RTX 3060 laptop and it crashed when I set up those setting I tried to boot the project around 50 times while trying eveything that I saw here nothing worked I think this acctually resets your preferences so anything should be fine wish you the best of luck.