UE5 crashes every time i try to reimport a specific file via datasmith.

‘Renaming an object (…) on top of an existing object (…) not allowed.’
how do i resolve this?

I have the same problem. Did you find a fix?

Which version of the engine?
Is it a udatasmith file or another format?
Are you doing Datasmith import then datasmith scene and reimport on the scene? or are you importing a second time in same place? or are your doing reimport on a static mesh/material/etc. ?

Can you share the file with us?

I’m using UE5.1.1.
I originally imported the Rhino file via Datasmith into UE5.0, then converted it to UE5.1 when that was released.
I think it’s a udatasmith file (?).
I’m trying to do a Directlink auto-reimport to update a few changes I made from the Rhino model, while not wiping out all the applied materials and foliage assets in Unreal.

Here are the settings for the Datasmith scene:

And here is the crash report:

I sent the crash report with the included file to Epic. Can you access that or do I need to send to you directly?

I’ve tried deleting ‘brep_259’ in Unreal, but that doesn’t seem to help.

Any update on this?

Yes you can send me the log file too.

I tried to reproduce but did not have your bug, it worked as expected:

1. Import 3dm file in Rhino, sync with direct link in a 5.0 project, save project
  2. open project in 5.1, reopen and modify rhino file and sync + auto-sync
  3. reconnect datasmith scene to rhino, scene updates in UE, no error no warnings.

FYI, this crash (with the same message about overwriting brep_259) also occurs when I try to reimport directly from the Rhino file.

So I started from scratch with a 5.1 project, imported from Rhino. Worked fine for awhile–now I’m getting this error again on a routine auto-reimport from Rhino. Please help! I cannot afford to restart projects which are already on tight deadlines with clients.

This sounds relevant, but I don’t know how to implement it:

I use ue5.2.1
It also crash frequently. Datasmith really unstable, I try to meet deadline and now can not do anything, just crash and crash

1 Like

Same situation here when trying to reimport a Datasmith file that was exported from Twinmotion. I worked on the file for many days and it was fine untill now. Tried many times same error.
This is reallly horrible, imagine if you have a deadline. This is not production-ready.
I have not tried with Direct Link because I use TM first to setup materials.

2 Likes

Same problem over here. Working with datasmith link from Revit 2024 to Unreal Engine 5.2.1. Getting the same error message as shown above and cannot update the model anymore after working on it over the course of several weeks. If this problem doesn’t get fixed, it makes the datasmith link-workflow completely impractical.

Same problem. Whats going on here? Never had this issue before using datasmith and SketchUp and now seeing these other replies I’m not sure it’s even worth restarting the project seeing as its persistent.

2 Likes

Did anyone solve it? what is a solution for this?

Heyo, any update on this? I am not working on an entirely new project and reimporting using Datasmith is crashing UE5.2. As I stated before, this is a new problem but one that renders ArchViz with Unreal completely useless for I suspect the majority of it’s Archviz users. Need update ASAP

i solved by just renaming the static mesh (the ones that show in the error log) in unreal and re importing againg…

It is resolved in 5.3 what i seen and tested.
I either renamed. moved or removed the files before making new import.

Hi. I also just solved this issue. For me, I just looked at the first few lines in the error log under Fatal Error. This should show you the name of object that is being rejected (renaming object on top of existing issue). In my case, it was a material located inside my Content Browser. I found it via the location in the log and renamed it. Like others, I had no issues for around 10 days with exact same Datasmith name and location, then some further changes resulted in crashes. I hope this helps!

I am currently using Unreal Engine 5.2.1 and experiencing frequent crashes, particularly with Datasmith, which seems quite unstable. As I’m trying to meet a deadline, these persistent crashes are significantly hindering my progress and may be this will help you more https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/ue5-2-freezes-on-importing-fbx/explore-2312455