UE5.2 freezes on importing FBX

Problem description

My UE 5.2 project (which was pretty much only just created) freezes every time I import Fbx, even when I simply try to import a simple 1MB fbx file.

The UE engine doesn’t shut down properly after freezing, it has to be forced to shut down in the task manager, and it still has this problem after restarting the project.

Operations that have been tried but didn’t work

• Open in administrator mode

• Windowed the UE engine

• Tried both file drag-and-drop and import keystroke imports

9 Likes

Exactly the same problem, I didn’t find any solution neither.

I got same problem in 5.3 Importing FBX from Blender. The model and rig is very simple so I don’t think the complexity problems. Still no solutions also.

1 Like

I have the same problem, anyone knows if there is a ticket open?

i circumnavigated the problem a little bit because the “Reimport with new file” worked a few times but then stopped working as well.
Very annoying… my files are 1Mb each and few K polygons, so not a file issue. Also the problem is consistent in other projects, and not related to specifically to one project.

1 Like

pls help me i am facing the same issue not able to import fbx directly i have to put fbx throgh file explore / unreal engine / project folder to content folder
pls help me i uesd to import file directly but now it is not working even i have tried in 5.3.1 version and other priveous pls help

Anyone found a solution for this? Struggling with the same issue in UE 5.3.1

2 Likes

Same here

also having this issue unfortunately :frowning:

Also having this problem

I just found the way to do it… When importing, It shows you the file explorer right? And in that window at the bottom right, Look to the bottom right and choose Skeletal mesh FBX from the list of file types on the right of the bar. If you import it like that, It imports very well. It is set to “all files” by default which didn’t work.

15 Likes

Wow! That works!! Thank you.

Now the question is, why does that work? That should just be a filter in the explorer and shouldn’t actually change anything about the way Unreal imports.

I’ve just found that unchecking “Generate Missing Collision” was the fix for me. must’ve been on by default, but turning that off seemed to work for all my FBX files coming from Maya.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the solution!!

I aslo had this issue on UE 5.3 and I found another solution, so I’ll share it here. Instead of directly importing with UE, I moved the fbx file in the content folder (you can also put it in a subfolder of the content folder) and when I opened my UE project I had a pop up in the bottom left corner saying there was you elements that were not imported, click on import asset and it will show you the same window as when you import it normally, just click on import/import all and you should be fine, at least it worked for me.

1 Like

Still having this issue as of 5.3, end Dec. 2023

Wow. That worked.

I had same issue.
and I found someone says
Select filetype “FBX skeltal meshes” when you import.

And I got it!

1 Like

It works!

1 Like

Thank’s, it really worked well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still having whis issue as of 5.3.2, 09/04/2024