UE5.4: Error with "USDImport" node in Cloth Asset (Invalid input LOD 0)

Hi all,

When I create a “Cloth Asset” in UE5.4, then import a USD (exported from Marvelous Designer), it displays an error:

“ClothAssetTerminal: Invalid input LOD 0.
Invalid or empty input LOD for LOD 0.
LOD 0 cannot be empty in order to construct a valid Cloth Asset.

ClothAsset Terminal: Invalid LOD.
LOD 0 has no valid data”

And then the viewports are blank.

It IS bringing in the USD, definitely - it’s made the static mesh and the materials and textures, because I can open them in the Content Browser. But yeah, in the Cloth Asset there’s nothing in there.

Anyone had this issue?

For more detail of what steps I’m taking, I’ve posted an article on my website with step by step explanation and images:
https://virtualfilmer.com/new-ue5-4-process-for-marvelous-designer-export-to-unreal-then-realtime-cloth-simulation/

Toby Virtual Filmer

4 Likes

Just an update. I heard directly from Epic, and the USDImport feature is definitely not able to work with the Cloth Asset in UE5.4 Preview 1 - for those who stumble on this thread later. :slight_smile:

The full capabilities will only be available in UE5…4 proper release on April 20, 2024.

3 Likes

Amazing. Save the date!

Hi guys,

I´m in Unreal 5.4 just released today, and I´m creating a cloth asset , and adding a USD exported from Marvelous Desinger in the first node, but suddenly Unreal crashes.

Anyone with the same issue?

Any tip about that?

Thanks,
Juanma

1 Like

Hi there!

I am in 5.4 released today and still got the same (Invalid input LOD 0) Error!

anyone with the solution is so welcome here!

1 Like

Same issue for me, no idea what is causing it

1 Like

Same issue lod0 invalid.

1 Like

Same issue, invalid LOD 0… Hope someone help us to fix.

1 Like

Same issue here i was thinking i do something wrong in the export but seems to happend to other people im using 5.4 full release

1 Like

Same one either. Very sad.

1 Like

I have the same thing :neutral_face:
M_UE5.4

u get it to see the cloth in panel i dind even see the cloth there

Same issue as well. Imports the static mesh, I am receiving the same error as everyone else.

1 Like

Hello, solved the problem by importing USD into content browser, then replaced USDImport with StaticMeshImport by linking meshes from USD

1 Like

How did you do it man? When I export on Marvelous Designer, it splits everything up…how do you fuse everything together first? Am I importing it wrong?

same here i merge all the parts into one but i get a bunch of errors when importing that merged static mesh

okay, I followed Marvelous Designer tips (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hto1RKwyzwk) on how to merge everything into one. Now I am at the step where I am importing it as Static Mesh Import. I think the file is huge so its taking time…will leave computer alone and come back later and let you know but no crash yet, fingers crossed.

I’ve try to use the static mesh.
What I did is to imoirt USD file as a static meshes into engine.
Then I’ve merged it all into one mesh.
Then use the node import static mesh. It appears with 2d seams like in marvelous.
But when Iam choose the skeletal mesh it doesnt transfer any weights in this error:

This warnings also appears

I’ve try to export cloth as a thick and warnings are gone. Will try to go further.

upd: Interesting, no warnings whe setting up the MTH body so far…

Looks like all fine for now.

The final simulation looks wierd but at least it works.

As I remeber they did promiss that the cloth will works directly throught geometry and no need for physics assets, but in this module you need to setup the phisics asset. But looks like it doesnt work.

Resume.

Here is the steps that will help you to recreate my result:

• in MD use quandratuate option. Dont use too clothe point distance (i use 10).
  • in MD export as USD a Thin and no avatar, and default scale (mm)
  • import in UE the usd file as a SM
  • trnasfer all mesh parts into the scene and set it 0 0 0 coordinates
  • merge this parts in one Static Mesh
  • chek the scale and position with MTH body asset - should be fit fine
  • import to chaos cloth as a static mesh and go through all way
    btw setting 0 for the cloth distnace at neck points doesnt help to made the cloth stay at the object. It still falls down.
    And if we disable phisics asset - the cloth just fall down.

I hope someone wise will help to solve this question. And it is very sad that Epic didnt launch the documentation about it.

3 Likes

I’ve done a quick guide