UE5.4.0 usage extremely laggy

I had been tearing my hair out also so had some time to google it. Thank goodness this post popped up first and disabling that plugin mentioned above, Studio Telemetry, was a bingo moment for me! Anyone else who comes across this I’d defiantly recommend disabling that too first and see how you go.

I developed a game for Android for half a year, updated from 5.2 to 5.3, then to 5.4, 5.4.1,5.4.2 and everything was fine, fps was consistently 60 on lg v50, recently updated to 5.4.3 and fps in the game dropped to 10-15, I didn’t change the settings, that happened in 5.4.3, what destroyed the fps so much? and how can I now roll back to at least 5.4.2? I saw that the RHIT event happened and they started writing 50-60 ms, but before it was around 10 ms.

What has changed a lot in 5.4.3 for Android? my FPS dropped from 60 stable to 0-10pfs. I even created a project with a view from the third line and assembled it for android and 10-20 frames per second in the game, the phone is quite spectacular LG v50. tried r.rhithread.enable=0 does not help, it disables rhit, but then Draw increases from 8 ms to 22 ms, r.RHISetGPUCaptureOptions=1 reduces RHIT from 60 ms to 30 ms, but this is still a lot compared to the 5.4.2, I had RHIT 8-10ms and 60fps. later try adding screenshots to compare with version 5.3. please help me solve this problem or tell me how to roll back to 5.4.2? Thank you

top screenshot 5.4.3 bottom screenshot 5.3.2
all settings are default
disabling Studio Telemetry didn’t help

1 Like

I am still having really bad performance in 5.4.3 when running tasks on background threads (on the task graph (global thread pool or custom) or with a custom FRunnable thread). This is even if I skip returning the results to the game thread.
I am running a lot of tasks but this worked fine in previous versions of unreal. I have tried setting thread affinity, task priority and various thread create flags. Some settings works better than other, but there is always interference with the performance of the game thread.
Have I missed something?

I’m on 5.4.4 and have the same problem (No problems with 5.3.2), so unfortunately the bug is still present

Here’s a video which clearly shows the problem: https://youtu.be/U1YjET5txwM

Like @Rawalanche, neither disabling the Studio Telemetry Plugin nor setting r.rhithread.enable 0 fixes the issue for me. r.RHISetGPUCaptureOptions 1 also doesn’t help. Keeping a window like “Project settings” open also didn’t help.

@comlys Suggestion of launching the editor with DerivedDataCacheCommandlet (ie: -run=DerivedDataCache) also made no difference

The only thing that fixes it (for a while, at least) is messing with the “Global Illumination” setting. - See my video for a demonstration.

There’s similar threads on this as well:

[SOLVED!] Stuttering on an empty project on both Mac and Windows - Development / Getting Started & Setup - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Anyone Got lag every second on Unreal 5.4 - General / Feedback & Requests - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Hopefully we get a proper fix for this soon as it appears we’re dealing with a definite regress here

Have you also tried running Insights to verify that it’s caused by UTexture:::ForceRebuildPlatformData? This bug is supposedly fixed already, so it would be appropriate to double check if it’s really the same problem or different problem that has the same symptom.

I’ve updated to UE5.4.4, and the bug is still there with extremely laggy usage. Obviously, the problem has never been solved.

I’m not sure if worked for me, but suddenly all the inconsistency I was having with the StateTree Ai dissapeared and began to work as intended O_O

omg, you saved me, thank you.

I tried everything and finally I upgraded the latest NVIDIA graphics drivers to successfully solve the problem…

didn’t work for me. latest nvidia driver and even UE5.5, same lag. only 5.3 fixes it

I assume it has something to do with the fact that I’m using Windows 11 Insider Dev builds, as there don’t seem to be enough people experiencing/complaining about this ? Any of you using insider builds?

I’m reporting on UE5.4.4 … I had this issue and tried what has been suggested in the comments and nothing worked, what worked for me is I noticed my laptop charger was not connected properly> I make sure it is plugged and charging and suddenly the performance become stable.
So check your power settings, on my side it is a power issue :pray: