UE5.2 Framerate - Why UE5.2 top framerate is 94FPS on an empty scene and RTX 3070? impossible to make a game.

Just testing the new UE5.2 engine and default scene is 60FPS,

then, after optimizing the empty scene, UE5.2 framerate is 94FPS, spiking to 120FPS tops, with a top RTX graphic card… is this the max FPS on UE5.2 …? it means it will be impossible to make a game with this engine,

Most gamers (players) do not have such expenssive graphic cards, that is why normally a fully developed game, full of blueprints, characters and assets should be around 140FPS - 160FPS… adding content drops UE5.2 FPS to 35 to 45 fps… why I have this feeling that UE5 is now, just for cinematics…

I already changed to shadow maps method, t.maxFPS 500, smooth framerate max 200, reduced lights shadow cascades, droped scalability to High… and without all this editing to UE5.2, in the other hand… UE4.26 gives me over 240 FPS on a empty scene.

How to improve UE5 bad Framerate…? why Devs are adding more and more features… and not fixing the most important thing in a game engine: framerate. what can we do?

Even worst with a few assets in the other demo scenes:

2 Likes

That’s pretty crap. What’s the same scenario in UE 5.1?? You mention 4.26, but have you tried 5.1? I’d be curious to know if it’s more of a 4 to 5 problem or if it’s purely a 5.1 to 5.2 problem. I don’t know why they’d allow this to happen, hope you get it sorted.

1 Like
  • In UE5.0, I was never able to get stable FPS, but with great effort I was able to reach 60FPS spiking to 90FPS for an empty scene (probably 35FPS for scenes with assets… so honeslty I never updated any project at all), but by turning ON Nanite for 1 asset, it would drop the FPS to 60 in a second.

• In UE5.1 I was able to get 80FPS, spiking to100 FPS by turning off almost everything… (wich is basically turning UE5 into UE4), but the engine is so buggy that I can’t even do 1 cinematic in the sequencer, the sequencer is pretty broken, mostly in-game…and many developers I know they’re still using it, with low 45FPS for scenes full of resources, but… screen recording from the cinematic viewport… impossible to export to movie in most cases and strugglyng with stuff like Niagara particles not triggering on time, meshes moving the wrong way… the sequencer is broken, and there are a lot of buttons that just checking them will crash the engine, so… enough reasons not to try, only ofr screen recordings and render pictures, and in order to make the screen recordings (real companies that I know)… they edit those recordings on other software like Premiere pro.

• In 5.2, in fact, I get the best FPS for UE5 BUT… it tops 90FPS, spiking to 120FPS for an empty optimized scene, the growth is almost nothing from UE5.1, just crazy… imagine adding then, so many assets for a video game production, it will be impossible for consoles like Nintendo Switch requiring a minimum of 60FPS, and to achieve that, games have to run at least 140FPS on PC, wich is already bad.

• So far that I’ve tested and developed projects with, UE4.26 it’s the most stable Unreal Engine version to date (UE4.27 already included UE5 buggs), in UE4.26 I get amazing FPS, almost no crashes, perfect sequencer cinematics, no in-game issues and honestly LODs actually give me better performance on UE5 than by using Nanite… LOL, and not every game needs ultra realistic lights…, but I think we all want to move forward, and quite simply can’t, FPS in UE5 is too bad and it’s so anoying that after more than a year, the Dev team is still adding more and more stuff to impress people in live events… making the engine so unstable, instead of first, fixing the low FPS to have a grounded cool engine for latter adding the “new features”.

Now days, If you search on youtube, there are houndreds of videos from people just trying to fix UE5 low framerate and sharing methods to improved it… it is no longer a question of what to do, but… how to fix, wich is really bad.

1 Like

I have similar issue since ue5 (rtx 3060), im still trying to figure out. Now in 5.2.
I tried everything, people say lumen is costly, but like even after disabling all lumen, setting dx11, forward renderer, all scalability to low, tsr to 1080p, cookin in shipping mode apparently makes little difference, still u get 60 fps (not talking about fps cap here) on EMPTY black scene but the gpu wattage is like +110 watts. thats ridiculous high. Its around the same wattage i get for a small scene with lumen.
It makes no sense honestly and it feels like a bug. I already tried everything u can possible imagine. Even looked at unreals rendering thread code. I still think theres some sort of hidden issue nobody rly noticed.
For instance, when trace profiling with ue insights if u set maxfps to 30 it shows the rendering thread fps goes nuts +120fps, the game thread keeps at 30, which is rly weird, since all internal stats show rendering at 30.

I have the same problems, use a RTX 3070ti since newest, have the UE5.2 freshly installed and in an empty scene just 60FPS. In another project 60fps in playmode 30. Somehow I have the feeling that the FPS are cap. I can’t get above 60, no matter if I turn Lumen on or off, or set Shadows to normal or Virt Shadows. Very strange the whole thing.

2 Likes

I only have a 1080Ti, but I’m noticing it’s a lot slower in UE5. I reduced global illumination to high and got a good boost. I switched to SM5 and DX11 and got a huge boost. I’m now at 110 to 120 fps on a very small project. Was 75fps with SM6 and DX12.

Also, shader complexity went WAY down with DX11 and SM5. UE5.2’s shader instruction count for materials is insane. I was told it shouldn’t affect anything, but clearly it does.

ye i spent a good few hours looking into this i think its a bad combo of TSR, Shadows and antialias slowing down the gpu, increasing consumption (wattage) and decreasing performance. TSR is def dx12 only optimized according to devs. Im on 4k screen and i think tsr struggles with it. Heres more info.

Theres too many parameters some are poorly documented, maybe a few ui bugs too. For instance i think unreal insights gives some wrong fps timing depending where the threading sleeping happens, inside or outside the render frame, but its just a visual bug.

1 Like

You can change settings to get ue 4 like performance
The fps are capped by default

Use this console command to get real fps
T.Maxfps 999

In project settings

Global illumination to None
Reflections to screen space
Anti aliasing to TAA
Shadows to shadow maps

And in defaultengine.ini File
Add this line in enginerendersettings
r.Nanite = false

(Nanite still work in background even when there’s no mesh that works with nanite which cost too much performance)

2 Likes

Have you tried run standalone, or packaged builds?

The framerate in editor is very different from the framerate when the game is actually running for real. I’ve had much worse hardware barely able to run the editor and play in editor sessions, and then I try a non editor build, or run standalone, and the game is buttery smooth.

I also typically work with a build from source in debug, which makes things much slower than a release build. It’s much easier to debug thrown exceptions in a debug build and I often correct mistakes I make because the exceptions are thrown from deep in the engine and I can see why the engine threw an exception due to something I did at a higher level.

I don’t use Nanite as it’s too slow for me. The suggestions here were great. Turned of FSR. Wasn’t using Nanite, but turned it off in the settings. The problem here is that it prints an annoying message on screen that won’t go away unless you used the command line. Why hasn’t this been fixed yet? I found out the message only appears with DX12. It doesn’t appear with DX11.

With SM5 DX11, I’m now at 150 fps on a 1080Ti. With SM6 DX12 with default settings, I was at 75fps. I’m now getting twice the fps. Kinda drastic. With SM6 DX12 and the new settings, I’m at 120fps and that annoying message is on screen.

Why is DX12 30fps slower?

You’re running in the editor, so you’re constantly rendering the editor UI and icons, text etc of all content browsers, panels etc.

PIE and go full screen (F12).

Also the editor caps FPS. I believe the default is 120FPS.
Console → T.Maxfps 0

I’m not so sure the editor UI itself is the problem, but I’ve seen having animation asset viewers open, or blueprints open, also seriously affects performance. I’m guessing due to them being ready to be in debug mode if needed. Especially in multi screen setups where I may have a bunch of assets open in various screens and hit PIE.

Also there’s usually an entire separate 3D world being rendered side by side with your game if a window for an animation asset or mesh asset or anything is visible and open.

There was also a huge difference when I upgraded my old PC. I had an RTX 3090 in the old PC but the new PC runs UE5 with much better performance after upgrading the CPU and RAM and everything.

The game itself when it’s running standalone should be super smooth though compared to editor.

I’ve been able to run so many UE4 games with great performance all through the years while the editor has always been much slower, with some of the most basic scenes.