UE5.1 DynRes "Unsupported"

Hi, I am using UE5.1 right now and on my end, Dynamic Resolution seems to be “Unsupported”.
I have followed the documentation regarding turning it on and tuning it for my need. It worked for UE5.0 but now it says “Unsupported” on the Stat UnitGraph

I want to know if this is also the case for anyone else. If so does anyone have any ideas or workarounds? If not please also let me know.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

This needs to be enabled. You can do that through blueprints and perhaps through the console or project settings as well. You can’t get it working in all Editor viewports. Here is documentation to get you started: Dynamic Resolution | Unreal Engine Documentation

FAQ page reference:

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are some general frequently asked questions regarding dynamic resolution:

Can the heuristic for Dynamic Resolution be replaced?

Yes, it was designed to be modular and pluggable in C++. Unreal Engine 4 will only maintain a single heuristic, but the architecture allows for the creation of a standalone custom heuristic with custom game thread events that could be triggered by gameplay code or Sequencer.

Does dynamic resolution work with any arbitrary secondary screen percentage?

1. This can be achieved by using the console variable r.SecondaryScreenPercentage.GameViewport.

For additional information, see the Screen Percentage with Temporal Upsample page.

Is it possible to control the dynamic resolution of the secondary screen percentage?

No, it’s not possible and is by design. You would not want to change the size of Temporal Anti-Aliasing history and is why you should not need to dynamically change the secondary screen percentage.

Why is the function in FPostProcessSettings for ScreenPercentage ignored by dynamic resolution?

This was part of the previous mechanism where screen percentage could be configured in the settings for a Post Process Volume to manually scale up or down. With dynamic resolution, there is no need to set that any longer since it is automatically handled according to the GPU workload.

Why is there not an optional show flag for dynamic resolution in the Editor?

Because it happens globally and at game thread discretion. The screen percentage show flag will only toggle the Primary Screen Percentage.

Why is dynamic resolution not supported in Editor viewports?

Currently, dynamic resolution is only supported for Xbox One ,PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch which don’t use PIE. When it is available for platforms (Vulkan, D3D12), you will be able to use it in the Editor with PIE.

Can the Primary and Secondary Screen Percentages be accessed in Materials?

No they cannot. Materials should be rendering independently of the resolution.

Let me know if it resolves the issue at hand?

Thank you for your elaborate response.
I am currently working to see if I can fix it.

I think it would also be more helpful to add some more clarification about my question.

So for clarification, I have followed the exact documentation that you referred to before. And it worked perfectly on my project in UE5.0 as you can see here:

This is the PC package of my project at the time using UE5.0.

The images I am sharing are from the standalone game. They are not from PIE.

I execute the following console commands on my level blueprint event graph on Event BeginPlay :

Now running the same project or even the sample projects from UE5.1, doesn’t seem to support DynRes.

Again thanks for your response.
I will let you know about any updates.

Anything that works in in 5.0 but not in 5.1 is most likely a bug, and I would encourage you to report it: Report a Bug - Unreal Engine

1 Like

This is just not true. If it was available in 5.0 they consciously disabled it in 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 PIE for a reason. It’s just not possible now and that’s for our benefit.