UE4Editor.exe process prevent source build

Hello Unreal mates, i am working on a project using 4.4.3 version, and i have found a bug(maybe?), not sure if you guy have found this and fix it in the newer version, but i still want to report this so that i can make more work for ya all :slight_smile:
First of all, i opened my project editor, did some shady works here and there with my peasant blueprints with no problem at all, then i proceed to close my editor and found out that, some sly UE4Editor.exe process still living and was hiding a good amount of RAM inside it’s filthy virtual hands. Here is the perfect and unmodify proof:

Not that i care anyway, i got a lots of RAM to spare, more important things to do, that is until…
I built my project source code when VS pop up, just to be sure nothing or no one tampered with my precious precious codes, then an error hit me like a garlic bullet. Here is the bloody evidence:

So after some failed attempt to restore order(including the painful re-build entire engine and get a new engine and build that), i happen to come across a simple solution, that is simply kill all the current UE4Editor.exe and then build my project, and you all can be my guest and guess the result:

Well, i must say this is a bit tricky, and even though this give me a legit reason to fool around for a day while my boss crying blood, hope you guy will and if it can be better, have fixed this tiny bug here. Thank ya all very much for reading till the end.

Hi CKong,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your post. Thank you for reporting this to us. It looks like the Editor may not have shut down correctly in this instance. Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this issue. Has this only happened to you this one time? Do you happen to recall if there was anything unusual about the way the Editor was shut down in this instance?

Hello Time,
Thank you for your response.
This error happen a lots when i used 4.4.3 version, and a lot less with 4.6.1.
If my memories are correct, this seem to happen if i open a blueprint, modify here and there, compile then play.
And aside the times that Editor crashes while i am working, crashes while compiling or crashes when start up, i seem to open and close the Editor normally. And by the way, in 4.4.3, if i use some UMG text for my HUD and my editor crash, those text will reset to the default content, aka “Text block” or something.
Thank you for your time, and keep up the good work mates, i am cheering for you guys behind my screen.

I have still not been able to reproduce this. However, a colleague has experienced an occasional issue where he is unable to open any projects and noticed that when this happens there is a ghost UE4Editor process still appearing in the Task Manager. Unfortunately the only solution he has been able to find for his issue is to restart the computer so I don’t think it is related to the issue you were seeing. I will continue to look into this periodically, but unless I can find a reliable repro for the issue there may not be a lot we can do about solving this. I will mark this issue as resolved for now, but if this happens to you again please let us know.

Hi, I am having this issue on 4.8.1

In windows, cannot kill with task manager nor with taskkill on the cmd line. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

C:\Users\user>tasklist /FI “IMAGENAME eq UE4Editor.exe”

Image Name PID Session Name Session# Mem Usage

UE4Editor.exe 6372 Console 1 1,901,276 K

C:\Users\user>taskkill /IM UE4Editor.exe /f
ERROR: The process “UE4Editor.exe” with PID 6372 could not be terminated.
Reason: There is no running instance of the task.

C:\Users\user>taskkill /PID 6372 /f
ERROR: The process with PID 6372 could not be terminated.
Reason: There is no running instance of the task.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Wierd stuff, but regardless of what the command reports, Ive got almost 2 gb of mem bound up in the process and if i start another session of the editor, it will crash every time I save it (I suspect due to the old process having locked the files the new one needs).

Hi MashHap,

Is this still an issue for you in 4.8.2? Are you using the binary version of the Engine installed through the Launcher, or did you build the Engine from source code? Would it be possible to get the dxdiag information for your computer?

Hi MashHap,

We have not heard back from you for a few days. Is this issue still a problem for you? I will be marking this issue as resolved for internal tracking purposes, but please feel free to add another comment with more information if you need any additional help.