UE4Editor constantly crashes and freezes using Linux

Thanks. I tried this and it worked, though on my PC, it took UE4 Editor about 30 minutes to compile the shaders, for some reason.

Hi,

Good news.

This week I recive e-mail from Epic Game about my bug submission :

So I tested the 4.25 build on Linux Ub 18.04 with Mesa and all is ok now.

I finally got it working by downloading the recommended NVIDIA drivers for Ubuntu as it allowed for 3d acceleration I have no crashes, and mine would crash as soon as the editor opened. This is the tutorial I followed for downloading the NVIDIA drivers -https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

I always downloaded the Vulkan drivers with this:

sudo apt-get install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

I hope this helps someone else.

1 Like

For my Geforce 970m , ubuntu 18.04 ue4.26
been running great for a day now, before it was crashing after the project would load.
Hope this helps .

sudo apt install vulkan-sdk-runtime
sudo apt install vulkan-tools
sudo apt-get install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

Changed my /UnrealEngine/Engine/Config/BaseEngine.ini , to this
bSupportsVulkan=true
bSupportsVulkanSM5=true
bDetectVulkanByDefault=true

1 Like

I’ve compiled UE4 again on an Ubuntu 20.04 installation running the latest drivers and with Vulkan installed, but UE4Editor still crashes after opening a project due to Vulkan-related issues, with the same crash report as before.

UE 4.24.3 is stable when using only OpenGL not Vulkan. I dont have Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS any crashing problems when im using OpenGL. And Now im installing Nvidia 470.57.02 drivers and this working very smoothly.

Next you should try to compile this 4.27.0 version. Its previous versions up to version 4.24.3 crashed when compiled. That is, the building crashed about halfway through the error messages.
I have only 8 gb memory and my swap is 2.1 gb. So far, memory and swap have been enough for building a program.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (64bit) and I installed UE4 (4.27) quite fine but was having the startup crash, after some research I found installing Vulkan drivers was essential but also to make sure the graphics driver is updated and supported. If you have an Intel integrated graphics card then I would like you to make sure they are supported and updated using the below commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

There is no need to edit the BaseEngine.ini for this though.