UE4 Roadmap

Also, let me clarify that LPV is still available and we are not abandoning it, we have just put further improvements on the backlog.

Hey guys, I would really like to see some more complete documentation on the online game subsystems. I am trying to create a online game that could really benefit from these. I know that there is the shooter game demo, but that is a little bit too complicated for me right now.

Thanks in advance!!

[=GuapoTaco101;79711]
Hey guys, I would really like to see some more complete documentation on the online game subsystems. I am trying to create a online game that could really benefit from these. I know that there is the shooter game demo, but that is a little bit too complicated for me right now.

Thanks in advance!!

We’re working on documentation over the OnlineSubsystem currently! Parts of it will hopefully start to roll out over the next few weeks with more to follow in the coming months. It’s possible we may have a live stream over it as well.

What parts are you having the most trouble with? It would help to know where to focus attention initially.

Guys… PLEASE…

I have seen that you pushed the C++ Gameplay Programming Reference from MAY to AUGUST, also changed the card’s name and it got downvoted (from 200+ to 69 votes now)! TT

Some of us are waiting for since the engine release, it’s being hard finding answers on the Hub, Forums or until Google since tha vast majority from articles/answers/samples are BP targeted.

Hi creasso - Working on the gameplay programming reference is going to be an ongoing effort, but you definitely won’t have to wait until August for all of it! :slight_smile: Some early work there is in the new Gameplay section, which will have examples for C++ as well as Blueprints, when applicable.

We have the Intro Programming videos that should be out soon and cover creating classes, functions, and variables, setting up class interactions, and even a HUD in Canvas. The code from that project will also be incorporated as examples in the written documentation, and we’ll keep adding more information in both the Programming and Gameplay areas.

The reason for the votes being down on that card was just that it got split up from the Gameplay Overviews and Examples, because I wanted to be a little clearer on what each one entailed. We definitely still consider all the previous votes too. :slight_smile:

Thanks by the clarification Lauren, well, let me try to explain what’s going on…

The classes “independently” doesn’t says too much, also most methods on API docs doesn’t shows example usage neither explain when to use then (it’s being faster to discover by rewrite, try and error than looking on wiki or forums most times), the nice thing about the old reference purpose was exactly “also show samples” from the most basic classes working together.

As example just to setup a customizable character to a game (by what I’ve seen) we need:

1 - Modular Character.
2 - Player Controller.
3 - Player State.
4 - A Camera Manager.
5 - An AnimationBP with a StateMachine (done on editor) whose “the class” need be loaded from disk on the Modular Character Parent Mesh.
6 - A MovementComponent to drive the Animation BP. <- I’m trying to figure how to tame guy now.
7 - Custom Event Graph Evaluators to get custom checks on the AnimationBP.
8 - Input System.
9 - Pathfinding.
10 - …

Of course if we decide to do trough BP it’s everything pretty well straightforward and documented, but coding on the actual docs state is being hard. lol

[=;80596]
Hi creasso - Working on the gameplay programming reference is going to be an ongoing effort, but you definitely won’t have to wait until August for all of it! :slight_smile: Some early work there is in the new Gameplay section, which will have examples for C++ as well as Blueprints, when applicable.

We have the Intro Programming videos that should be out soon and cover creating classes, functions, and variables, setting up class interactions, and even a HUD in Canvas. The code from that project will also be incorporated as examples in the written documentation, and we’ll keep adding more information in both the Programming and Gameplay areas.

The reason for the votes being down on that card was just that it got split up from the Gameplay Overviews and Examples, because I wanted to be a little clearer on what each one entailed. We definitely still consider all the previous votes too. :slight_smile:

That is very good hear!

I personally would like to see something like more general Tips, Tricks and best practices. For example, when to use UObject instead of AActor. How choosing one over other affect performance in certain scenarios (like for example when we have to maintain arrays of lots of them), or when to just use plain C++ classes/structs.

I’m past the point where I need detailed how to get started, but I’m at the point “how do I choose best data structure, for certain game element”.

Some general write down of your general experiences with Fortnite would be extremely useful, for example.

We need a card for Marketplace - User uploads.

I desire to buy assets and props directly from the Unreal Marketplace instead of having to find external providers.

[=;80880]
when to use UObject instead of AActor

Do you need to need to place it in the level editor? Does it need to contain components? If yes to either of those, then it should be an Actor!

[=;80880]
How choosing one over other affect performance in certain scenarios (like for example when we have to maintain arrays of lots of them), or when to just use plain C++ classes/structs.

Use a UObject if you need any of the features they provide (automatic serialization, property editing, Blueprint access to functions/variables, automatic garbage collection etc). The overhead for UObjects is in GC time (more UObject’s around means longer GC time), construction time (creating a UObject takes a little longer than a regular C++ class) and memory usage (UObjects have some predefined members, plus the size of the UClass itself).

When a task is finished, it is just archived and disappears from the roadmap. I think it would be interesting for users to have the completed tasks appear somewhere (other than the patch notes). I am regularly looking on the “RTS” card, just to see any advances, but after doing that, I wonder where things have advanced, and reading the roadmap is not so obvious.

Any we could get a video tutorial on how to setup level structure/transitions. For example, say we create a Dungeon with 3 levels. How do we …

1. Set the default starting point so that when the game launches with the player at the level 1 starting point.
  2. How do we transition the player from level 1 to level 2? Maybe examples of a door, stairs and/or portal that moves the actor to a new level.
  3. How would we put up a loading screen while the level loads?
  4. How would we play a video while the level loads? How would we allow the player to skip the video?

These would be really useful, because it would give examples of how to move through the environments we create within the toolset. If there are examples of these in the existing tutorials, it would still be good to have a single tutorial that is build around specific topic. It could be useful to pretty much any game type someone might want to create.

[=everygamer;83508]
Any we could get a video tutorial on how to setup level structure/transitions. For example, say we create a Dungeon with 3 levels. How do we …

1. Set the default starting point so that when the game launches with the player at the level 1 starting point.
  2. How do we transition the player from level 1 to level 2? Maybe examples of a door, stairs and/or portal that moves the actor to a new level.
  3. How would we put up a loading screen while the level loads?
  4. How would we play a video while the level loads? How would we allow the player to skip the video?

These would be really useful, because it would give examples of how to move through the environments we create within the toolset. If there are examples of these in the existing tutorials, it would still be good to have a single tutorial that is build around specific topic. It could be useful to pretty much any game type someone might want to create.

Open Level node with the name of the level you want to load. That’s all you need to do to load another level. There is also Stream Level, you might want to take a look at those.

Hey folks! Wanted to let you know we’re in the middle of our monthly planning update so expect the roadmap to be updated in the next week or so!

[]
When a task is finished, it is just archived and disappears from the roadmap. I think it would be interesting for users to have the completed tasks appear somewhere (other than the patch notes). I am regularly looking on the “RTS” card, just to see any advances, but after doing that, I wonder where things have advanced, and reading the roadmap is not so obvious.

Thanks! We’re still figuring out the best way to handle closing/archiving of tasks. By the way you can subscribe to specific cards which will then generate email notifications if you choose any time that card is updated.

Hi, I was wondering if you guys would consider adding a Survival game template I.e. Don’t starve, The Forest, Rust and Dayz?

And one other tip: you should be able to click the “show sidebar” link above the cards at the right edge of the screen to see an activity stream listing card additions, archivals, and comments over time.

Nice one, i’m missing offline documentation mode to avoid waiting to load pages every time i need to check something.

Can you guys please add “fighting game template” on the roadmap :slight_smile: ? Thank you.

[=FtH|Zhane;95895]
Can you guys please add “fighting game template” on the roadmap :slight_smile: ? Thank you.

There somebody in epic working on fighting game demo:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/189633/learn-how-to-make-a-fighting-game-in-unreal-4

I’m aware of project for a long time but won’t change the request for a fighting game template for the roadmap and the market place.