UE4 previous versions - Low FPS with version 4.1

i not need load a project anyway for think something its wrong. i not remember with 4.0.1 but 40% CPU load constant on the “Select Project” window not seems normal.

Good to know I’m not the only one having issues. I tried the fix on my project, but it didn’t seem to help matters. I’m on i7 iMac with Radeon HD 6970M (I know not ideal setup), but things ran way better before the 4.1.0 update. What is strange is that I could quickly jump from the component view of say Chicken instantly before, there is now about a 15-20 second lag between the two. Workflow is almost unusable.

Just a heads up. I’m sure devs will work on this. Glad I still have the prior version as well.

Hey guys

I just looked at the “Master Live Code” on GitHub and it looks like they fixed the issue. It probably still has to go through all the process (QA, verification, etc.) but hang in there, they are working on it.

Glad to hear that they are working on it. I lost almost 30fps in 4.1 compared to 4.02 . From 95-100 to 65-70 .

Everything runs at 8 FPS for me now (core i7 -3610QM, 8GB DDR3 and GTX 660M) before everything ran at 45+ FPS, Elemental Demo runs at MINUS 150 FPS for me and even crashes my PC for hours. I tried your method in Consolevariable.ini, before I had : ; ConsoleVariables.ini ; ; This file allows to set console variables on engine startup (In undefined order). ; Console variables also can be set in engine ini files (e.g. BaseEngine.ini, DefaultEngine.ini) in the [SystemSettings] section. ; This file should be in the source control database (for the comments and to know where to find it) ; but kept empty from variables. ; A developer can change it locally to save time not having to type repetitive ; console variable settings. The variables need to be in the section called [Startup]. ; Later on we might have multiple named sections referenced by the section name. ; This would allow platform specific or level specific overrides. ; The name comparison is not case sensitive and if the variable doesn’t exists it’s silently ignored. ; ; Example file content: ; ; [Startup] ; FogDensity = 0.9 ; ImageGrain = 0.5 ; FreezeAtPosition = 2819.5520 416.2633 75.1500 65378 -25879 0

[Startup]

; Uncomment to get detailed logs on shader compiles and the opportunity to retry on errors ;r.ShaderDevelopmentMode=1

Then I added r.GraphicsAdapter = -2 nothing happened(maybe even worsened)

then I changed to [SystemSettings]

r.GraphicAdapter=-2

Same thing

then I did add “;” ;[SystemSettings]

;r.GraphicAdapter=-2
Same, thing. Which is the correct form please? with adding [SystemSettings] or not and with adding ; or not? Thanks

Please my friend, tell me when they release the fix. I can’t check everytime. My PC is getting killed lol. I need THAT FIX. Thanks !

Has anyone heard a bit of news towards a fix for the engine?

nvm this msg

ooops, I forgot to this update this thread:p, I fixed my problem, it turns out UE4 was actually selecting the “Microsoft basic render device” instead of the intel chip and it needs to select the intel chip for the switchable graphics to work. I tried adding [SystemSettings] and r.GraphicAdapter=-2 to the default engine INI when it was first posted and it didn’t work but I tried again the next day and it did work, I don’t know why it didn’t work the first time as the only difference was the spacing.

anyway just in case there is people still having trouble changing the default engine INI and getting it to work open the default engine INI and add this

[SystemSettings]
r.GraphicsAdapter = -2

to the end, so the default engine INI starts off like this.

GameName=MyProject

[/Script/EngineSettings.GameMapsSettings]
GameDefaultMap=/Game/Maps/Example_Map
EditorStartupMap=/Game/Maps/Example_Map
GlobalDefaultGameMode=/Game/Blueprints/MyGame.MyGame_C

[/Script/Engine.Engine]
+ActiveGameNameRedirects=(OldGameName="TP_ThirdPersonBP",NewGameName="/Script/MyProject")
+ActiveGameNameRedirects=(OldGameName="/Script/TP_ThirdPersonBP",NewGameName="/Script/MyProject")

and ends up looking like this

GameName=MyProject

[/Script/EngineSettings.GameMapsSettings]
GameDefaultMap=/Game/Maps/Example_Map
EditorStartupMap=/Game/Maps/Example_Map
GlobalDefaultGameMode=/Game/Blueprints/MyGame.MyGame_C

[/Script/Engine.Engine]
+ActiveGameNameRedirects=(OldGameName="TP_ThirdPersonBP",NewGameName="/Script/MyProject")
+ActiveGameNameRedirects=(OldGameName="/Script/TP_ThirdPersonBP",NewGameName="/Script/MyProject")

[SystemSettings]
r.GraphicsAdapter = -2

I don’t know how well it works for nvidea cards as I have an AMD card, anyway I hope that helps anyone still having problems getting it working:)

It’s quite strange with my system (hd3000 // GT540m)
at first it only detected intel hd3000, which has no dedicated memory, ran with 5-10 fps. Changing graphicsadapter from -2to whatever did not change anything except for 1 and higher it gave an error indicating that no other adapter exist. So it can’t see gt540 :frowning:

after looking for solutions I forced the nvidia graphics in nvidia control panel and it did do something: first recompiled 5 thousand shaders again then my fps went up to about 30 which is alright for me, BUT: in the saved logs it still says that found hd3000 and using it, except now it says it has 1gb dedicated memory…what the? Still this is the only card, changing graphics adapter variable has no effect.
One thing though: after this change the temperature went way too high… my wasd keys get almost too hot to touch them :).
Anyone has an idea what could be wrong, or is it normal?

Hi everyone,

We have released a QFE which should address issues with severe performance drops in 4.1 for Win8 users on integrated graphics card.

The link to it can be found here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?3147-Current-Available-Quick-Fix-Solutions

Additional information and other potential workarounds can be found here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?3905-Multiple-Graphics-Adapters-(related-to-4-1-QFE-very-low-fps-rendering)

Cheers!

Do you know if a similar fix for mac users with integrated graphics cards is on the way?

Thanks!

Hi pixelvspixel,

Aside from your issue, we have not been made aware of any other user who is reporting a performance drop on Macs between versions 4.0 and 4.1. We have also not observed any issue on Macs that we test on. To our knowledge, the issue that was affecting Win8 users is not applicable to Macs, and so you may be experiencing something unrelated. So no, we do not have any fix currently being worked on for Mac.

We would be interested in knowing more about your situation. Please make a post over on the AnswerHub, in the Bug Reports section, regarding as much information that you can provide about the issue. Provide us your full system specs, and any concrete data you can provide regarding the performance differences between the versions (preferably on provided sample projects so that we can attempt to reproduce internally).

Thanks!

Hi Stephen, thanks for responding. I’ll put more details on my issue over on AnswerHub, whatever is most helpful. I am working at home on a 3.4 GHz i7 iMac, 16GB, Radeon HD 6970M 2048mb. I’ve been messing around with the Chicken project. In 4.0.2 it took on average 1:61 seconds to open the blueprint that contains the entire project. In 4.1.0 it’s taking on average 10:16 seconds to open the same blueprint, which seams really odd. The frame rate it’s self seems to have slightly increased scene from 21.20fps in 4.0.2 and 22.81fps in 4.1.0. If you need more info please let me know!

I’ve posted on the AnswerHub ([Epic Official] Read this if you are experiencing FPS drops after the 4.1 patch - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums) but haven’t received a response. From what I’ve read above [SystemSettings] is where the option should be added.

Now I’ll have to confirm again, but I checked more than once and noticed that the correct graphics adapter was selected. And our test machine is humming. . .